• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Trouble deciding on a mag power.

J_Roger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Commerce, MI
www.facebook.com
Alright gents, I need some opinions if I may. I am going to be ordering a SWFA SS for my Savage soon and I can't decide if I should get a 10x or a 16x... What would you get? I really am leaning toward the 16x to be able to see those tiny holes out to 200+ yards, but I worry that the field of vision will be too constricted.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Trouble deciding on a mag power.

Depends on the clarity of the lens. I was using a Bushnell Elite 3200 at 15X and could still barely see 200 yard holes from a 17. If it's a nice crisp lens I'd probably still go with 16X. JMO.

Depends on what you are doing. I shoot 10X out to 200 on my 22. I had a 16x on my 223 and swapped it out for a vortex viper 6.5-20X44. The resolution is better on the vortex in my opinion but it doesn't have anywhere near as much elevation. I think the 10X would be my choice if I bought another one.

^ Actually yeah now that I'm thinking of .22 holes instead of .17 you'd probably be fine with 10X also.

I had a SS 16x on my savage fo a few months. When I was punching paper it was fine.At the closer ranges it was difficult to locate birds and squirrels because of the field of veiw. I sold the 16x and now use a 10x. The 10x does seem to be a bit brighter than the 16x. So my recommendation is the 10 good luck.

It sounds like you've decided but figured I'd add my .02. I put my 10X SS on my 40X and it meets my needs perfectly.

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 on my .22 and over all the scopes I've had on it this IS my final choice (Until I can afford 2 more PMII's ... Ha HA).

Great magnification range and similar to the range on my .308 (the PMII is own), glass quality is excellent also.

RJ

I've had all the mag ranges in the ss, and the 10x was much better than the 16 and 20x in brightness and clarity. That said, I would prefer the vortex viper in the above post. I have used it on a 17hmr out to 200 and was able to see holes. My vipers are much brighter than all of the ss I have owned, probably not as durable, but better glass (and they are still on sale for around $250 if you can live with a plex or target dot reticle). if you are worried about elevation, get a 20 or 25moa base.

I could see 223 holes (on white paper) with the SS10xHD @ 200y. I feel safe to bet that 22LR will be a similar task.

Agreed, I would love to be able to get the Vortex Viper pst 6-24x50 for my .22 but that's a $900 optic. I do plan on buying that for my .308, however, thta's too much to spend for optics on a $300 rimfime, hence the SS choice. However, I have just last night discovered the Falcon Menace 4-14x44 with mil/mil and FFP for $384 that I am now considering in place of the SS. Anyone with any experience with the Falcons care to share some input?

the viper we were suggesting is the standard viper in 6.5-20x44, which camerland did have on closeout for $250 shipped. They still had some as of last week, but you will probably have to call them as they are no longer listed on the site at that price. The reticle was a target dot or plex. I think cstactical or liberty optics had some also.
there is also a nikon buckmasters 4-14x50 mildot on liberty's site for $259 shipped, which is a great deal on that scope. here:
http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html and click on demos, trades and specials about half way down the page.

Nothing wrong with putting expensive optics on a cheap rifle.

I often use the 22x mag on my nightforce to look at impacts on my 17hmr and really, even 22x isnt enough for punching paper at long range like 200 yards.

Go as big as you can if you intend on paper punching, or just buy a spotting scope.