• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trouble fitting Weaver#61 bases on a Tikka t3 Deluxe in 270 win.

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
The factory aluminum clamp on rings are soft and allowed the scope to slide through them and also, the aluminum allen head screws that tighten to the base stripped out the heads. I found a set of Weaver #61 flat bottom bases that are suppose to work but, the screws feel like they might be too big in diameter when I tested one without the base. The holes seem to line up on the receiver just fine though. I read on another forum where a person ordered a set of the Talley rings and found the same problem they sent him two more sets of screws to try but, same thing. He said finally, he put quite a bit more force on the screws and they went in just fine? Are the factory filler screws plastic maybe a little undersize and I too, need to apply more force? I just don't want to bugger up the threads in the receiver where I can't use it any more. The factory plugs measure 3.0mm. but I can't hardly see or feel any threads on them. the Weaver screws measure 3.4mm. in diameter and the threads can be seen and felt easily. I'd sure appreciate some info if possible, Thanks!

Well, I found out anything before 2004 uses metric and anything after, uses 6-48 thread the only thing is I don't know how to tell how old mine is by the serial number. I bought mine new but, it was (old stock) and was sitting on the rack a long time. I got it home and removed the bolt to give it a good cleaning and noticed the plastic bolt shroud was cracked. I contacted Beretta USA and when I gave the serial # the man asked if it was a new gun because it was manufactured 6 years ago. I explained it was new just, old stock and I had the proof of purchase receit. He went ahead and sent a new shroud 6 years ago would mean 2007 so, can I assume the receiver would be tapped for the standard Weaver 6-48 thread? I wish I knew another way to verify the date of manufacture. I've noticed while searching the net I ran across at least, three people who had the same concerns about the screws but they did, get them to go in so maybe I'll just put a dab of lok-tite and give it a go. Thanks!