• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trouble Installing Viperskins on AI

mydogsmonkey

Where's the target?
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Burbank, CA
Hi, I just received my AI AE and viperskins from mile high shooting. I installed the skins today and had a little trouble installing them.

I watched a video on AICS installation of the skins and they seemed to just pop on and install with no struggle. Just screw them on.

The set I have had the front hole be off by a decent amount that would not allow the screw to go in. I had to first align the front hole so that it would screw it on, then force the rest of the holes on. It seems the front has gotten cross threaded and had to be chased as well as another hole. Did anyone run into this much trouble installing viperskins?

I'm thinking I'll probably talk to MHS and see what they think. I just wanted to know if this is the norm for the skins or if I should try to get another set that would fit more correctly and that perhaps this set just didn't sit in the mold long enough.

I had a difficult time getting mine to line up properly. Started tightening from the back towards the front, but the farther I got, the more offset the holes were.

I had to go back and install all of them loosely and then gradually tighten as I went forward. I didn't have any strip though.

Thanks for your input, thats similar to the trouble i was having.

On another note, did you or anyone else get the set screws that hide inside the skins to cover the holes for the side rail mounting? I got actual screws that have a head and stick out from the skins when screwed down.

I had the exact same issue. I purchased the AE folder version from MHS. When I tightened the screws from the back to the front I noticed that the screw lined up about 1/8" off or maybe a little more for the front screw. Did the same thing as beefman and avoided stripping any screws. Are you looking to replace the skins you installed? If so maybe shoot an email to MHS and Victor company and see what they say. I have nothing but good things to say about MHS from the purchases I have made with them and I'm sure Victor Company would appreciate the feedback. As far as the side rail screws, I received the same ones. I may go to a hardware store and just find some that lay more flush, but they don't bother me that much.

awesome, thanks for the reply,
I'll be going to shot show so I'll probably talk to both of them then.
I know MHS will take care of me as they have been very responsive and helpful.

Get the front started and the rear most screw started, then tighten the longest (just in front of the mag well) and tighten that down then go back an forth tightening down middle to each end. I have had similar issues, and found this to work the best.

Last time i was at Victor's web sight there were 3 versions of the Viperskins for different AICS chassis. Could this be part of the problem? Just asking as I am getting ready to pick up the same set up.

Last time i was at Victor's web sight there were 3 versions of the Viperskins for different AICS chassis. Could this be part of the problem? Just asking as I am getting ready to pick up the same set up.

unforunately not, My plastic packaging said AIAE 2.0, definitely for my version.

I was able to get them on, its just that 1 and possibly a second were cross threaded and needed to be chased to properly install them.