• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trouble justifying USO

mtechgunman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Colorado
I'm trying to finish up my Remington 700P .338 LM. I am at the point now where I am ready to buy everything to finish the rifle and start shooting.

When I bought the rifle, I assumed I would put a USO on top. Now that it is time to buy, I am having a hard time justifying one. I have been looking around, and I think I may go with a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56 with Hi-speed, Zero Stop turret and mils. Price is $1,945. The obvious shortfalls of this scope over the USO that I would order are the fact that the NF is SFP and non illuminated reticule (among a few others)

Now, the price difference is about $1,000 bucks between the USO that I would order and the NF. Not to mention, if I order one through USO, I'll be lucky to be shooting by next summer.

However, if I can be happy with the NF, I have another $1,000 bucks. Money I can spend on a Manners or MCM stock. Or upgrade my range finder- which I'll have to do anyways if I'm going to be shooting 338 Lapua.

So, I'm just looking for a little input. I have been working a lot recently (3 days off in October, haven't been home since 10/15, probably won't be home till December) and would like to finish this rifle. I want top quality glass on there, and I consider NF to be top quality. Am I out of line by going with a SFP NF and putting the extra $1,000 towards the rifle in other ways?

Your thoughts?

Re: Trouble justifying USO

Really? Why do I not know this?

My old man has an NXS 5.5-22x56 on his M82A1 and I hadn't noticed.

Sure enough- from the NF website

"Precision laser-etching on compound optical glass, smaller than a dime ensures a clear reticle in your field of view with no distortion, ensuring repeatability. A reliable internal lighting source illuminates the reticle against your target in low light, low contrast conditions. Illumination intensity is adjustable to accommodate the individual shooter."

I wondered the same thing. Then I bought a USO at a great price from the same member that I bought my rifle from... Needless to say, my next optic will be a USO as well.

So, is the FFP worth 1000 dollars to you?
I think, in the long run, those 1000 dollars would do you more good spent on ammo/new stock/rangefinder.

Either way, you are a lucky guy, getting to pick from the top shelf!
smile.gif

It seems like you answered your own question(dont worry I do that to myself all the time).
I would get the Nightforce, buy the ammo, shoot and enjoy your rifle. If you want to still get a USO at a later date you can sell the NF and soften the blow of the USO a little bit.
But keep your eyes peeled in the Optics sale section you may find a USO that is what you want/need for a price that is easier to swallow. I have stumbled across two great deals on my two USO rifle scopes over the past couple years.

Best of luck and I hope you get to enjoy the new rifle soon.

I have both and like both. I have to admit after shooting FFP the SFP "Looks Funny". Not worse just different. I agree with AL shooter check the optics sections. I you were looking at a used NF at 1400.00 bucks Id say yeah. Thats how I bought my NF. If you are looking at a 1900 NF I'd say look for a 3-17 SN-3 USO most of them go for just slightly over that if you catch them fast before they are gone. I have never dealt with NF Customer service but have dealt with USO and their attitude is if its broken they fix it. On a 338 that might become an issue:) Another thing is after you have used them you find little things you like and dislike both have great resale so if you don't like it you might loose a couple of hundred dollars but then you know whats important to you. Boltripper replied to an post I put out that I didn't understand at first but the gist was shut up and shoot then figure out what YOU like. They are both just different levels of great glass.
Rad

I have and like both. USO may be a tad bit sturdier and less variation unit to unit.

If you are trying to sight small targets or tiny groups at long distances, the FFP reticle may be too large to accurately sight on the corner of a box or the tip of a diamond at max magnification levels. Some interpolation is required, it takes a little getting used to. On larger targets, it is not a factor.

I'd probably opt for the trigger time. I've found Whitetail sized targets are difficult for me to range reliably beyond 600Yds with LRF anyway, and have resorted to range markers. Since ranging is not a big factor for me, NF and USO reticles are both adequate for Whitetail sized targets at 600-800Yds.

Looking in the SH optics for sale is good advice! You will save with which ever scope you choose. On a .338 a ffp scope is almost irrelevant, at the ranges they are typically used the scope will be dialed all the way up anyway. That being said I've got a 3.2-17X44 USO on mine and it works just fine.

I have several US optics and they are great scopes. Bought the two I am keeping here used. One had a problem and US Optics fixed it in a timely manner and free of charge, which they did not have to do since I did not purchase it from them and it was several years old. Great scopes. I also have IOR, Leupold and one NF. All serve me very well for what I bought them for.

Depends on your use. I doubt that you will go wrong either way and it sounds to me like you have already made your mind up and none of us will or should change it.

Just my opinion but for 338 LP its realy a beyond 1k rd.If that's how it will be used there is less argument for FFP and a few more for SFP.Just look at the Hensoldt 6-24 thats only available in SFP.At those distances you'll be dialing most everything and ranging at beyond 1k with reticules is difficult at best.I say get the NF shoot it for awhile and if it absolutley doesn't work for you you can sell it here and loos e like $.12 in resale.

If your set on the USO though buy that because you'll always wish you had.

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. I finally decided that if I was going to that much money I was going to get the scope exactly the way I wanted it, you dont get that with the Nightforce at least I didnt. There are a few things in this game we play that really suprize you with their quality when you buy them and you think why didnt I buy this along time ago, a USO scope is one of those items.

Unless you're living paycheck to paycheck, it sounds like as much as your working, you could eat rice and beans for a week and make up the $600 difference between that USO on Midway and the NF you're planning on getting.

Just because you have a .338 doesn't mean you WILL be shooting it 1k yds and beyond, but only you can answer that question. I FULLY agree with what dmb308 said about buying what you have your heart set on. Although both scopes are great, if you don't buy what you REALLY want, you'll regret it later, or perhaps the second it arrives in the mail. I personally like the smaller OBJ of the USO scopes, but that's just my opinion. You're choosing between two brands of 21 year scotch here.

The cost of shooting a .338L will dwarf that miniscule difference in those two scopes.... Get what you really want, and be done with it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cost of shooting a .338L will dwarf that miniscule difference in those two scopes.... Get what you really want, and be done with it... </div></div>

What he said, besides, you could put up a WTB post or wait for a used one and save some coin.....

I was in a similiar boat. Returned a new NF 3.5-15x50 NXS to fund a USO SN3 3.2-17x44 (20th anniv.). I am very happy that I did (not that the NF was bad in any way). Even though the USO is heavier than the NF, its 44mm obj. and balance makes it feel just right for me. I am also able to pickup more details in low light with the USO giving me more time to shoot - escpecially now that our daylight savings has ended.

In the end, you are chossing between two very nices scopes and are fortunate to be that position. You will end up will a nice scope either way. Pick what youy heart tells. As many have stated, you can always sell it off if you don't like it. Both of them will hold their value.

I already have someone eyeing my USO. If you're reading this, I keeping it
smile.gif

The real question is will you be happy with the NF (SFP)? If not, then eveything is mood point. Grass is always greener on the other side. I have 3 NF (SFP). I am happy with them. They have their limitations compared to the FFP. However, once I learn how to use them more effectively, I am okay with them. Just a thought...

Why not just purchase a used SN3 from the equipment exhange here? There are several listed at the moment....

Get a Premier 5-25x56. Less than the USO, FFP, fully illum reticle, available now, solid build and excellent value for money.

If I couldn't afford the USO I'd seriously consider the FFP 3-15X NF F1. I've dealt with NF CS getting my 2.5-10X32 retrofitted with zero-stop and mil turrets. They were just fine and returned it slightly before it was promised. But you've been offered some good advice already - go with the scope you think you'll be happiest with. I got a Premier 3-15X just over a year ago and worried over the cost of it. But I love it and can't imagine going back to a lesser scope.

I ordered an SN-3 (3.2-17) and a NF 5.5-22 a couple months ago, and like both scopes very much. The USO only took about 4 weeks to deliver (much faster than their own estimate). I like the USO EREK knob more than the "Hi-Speed" NF knob. NF windage knob is better feeling than the USO windage knob. To me, the firearm helps dictate the proper scope- I have the USO on my 308 that I use ALL the time (hence FFP was almost essential) and the NF is on my 338 (where I'll be dialing for wind and drop) so they each do well in their own right.

To me, the MADE IN USA is worth the extra money...whether that be a NF F1 or any USO. I like American made stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, the price difference is about $1,000 bucks between the USO that I would order and the NF. Not to mention, if I order one through USO, I'll be lucky to be shooting by next summer.
</div></div>

Actually if you ordered now you will most likely have it by the 1st of the year.
John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, the price difference is about $1,000 bucks between the USO that I would order and the NF. Not to mention, if I order one through USO, I'll be lucky to be shooting by next summer. </div></div>

Not if you get a used USO. I purchased a used SN3-2200 and for not much more than your price point on the NF. USO has a 100% transferable lifetime warranty on their scopes so it's not a problem for me to justify a used USO. The only thing you loose in a used USO is not being able to pick out all the options you want. This is just my opinion but I prefer the image quality out of a USO vs. NF. I'm 100% a USO fan since I know if I have an issue they are just a phone call away and they don't have one of those annoying call directories "press 1 for ...."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To me, the MADE IN USA is worth the extra money...whether that be a NF F1 or any USO. I like American made stuff. </div></div>
+1

All- Thanks for the responses.

Couple of notes-

-I hadn't thought too much about the SFP vs FFP for use over 1K yards. The majority of my shooting will be beyond 800 yards. That is the sole reason why I bought a rifle chambered in 338. My current LR rifle is a 5R (.308) in an AICS with an IOR SH edition mounted on top. The majority of my shooting with this rifle is done between 450-800 yards. For what it is, I have really liked the FFP, especially when shooting at the closer distances.

-If something didn't work out with a NF, I'd doubt I would sell it. I'd probably just move it to another rifle, possible one set up for big game hunting. I'd have to start saving up for a USO.

-Premier/S&B/Razor HD -----> while I'm sure these are great scopes, I don't have any time behind any of them. I've never even so much as held a Premier or Vortex optic. I simply won't spend this much money on something that I haven't had time in on. I'm not trying to discount S&B or any of these scopes at all. Just don't have any personal experience. I like USO and I like NF, have time behind variants of both.

-That actual price difference in the scopes is a fixed item. In the long run, the extra 600-1000 I'd spend right now is not much overall.

-I didn't mention it in my first post, but the EREK knob is one of my favorite parts of the USO I'd order. I think it's the best knob I've seen on a scope.

-My apologies for suggesting that if I ordered a USO it would be summer before I received it. I was basing that off of a quote I received on one quite few months ago, and IIRC I was quoted 18-21 weeks for delivery.

-I'm not a big fan of buying used optics, especially over the internet. I realize there is money to be saved here, but I'd rather pay the premium and know exactly what I have and what it has been through.

Once again, thanks for everyone's input.

I'll decide tonight and get one or the other ordered.

Oh, and I received some good news today. The boss called and said he is sending relief my way.

Looks like I get to enjoy Turkey dinner after all.

grin.gif

so you no there are ppl putting USO scopes on there 22
smile.gif

I would be going with the USO .. nothing wrong with NF
I just like USO ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, the price difference is about $1,000 bucks between the USO that I would order and the NF.</div></div>

I was going to say, based on your comment it sounds like the custom USO would be different in some significant ways. Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples here? But then I got to your next post where you revealed part of the difference...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-I didn't mention it in my first post, but the EREK knob is one of my favorite parts of the USO I'd order. I think it's the best knob I've seen on a scope... </div></div>

So now the issue is a bit clearer. I agree with others here that for that kind of money, and with these top drawer brands, the quality time spent behind it will make that price difference fade rather quickly. Get what you really want.

there are better scopes out there for the money

All- I appreciate the input, I really do. I just ordered the NightForce. I am confident this will be a good match with my 700.

I have a badger base and rings, and a few other goodies coming as well.

Thanks once again, pics to follow this week.

why do you neeed FFP for a .338LM?? I wouldnt shoot that round closer than 800yds first of all.definietly not gonna use a .338 for 100yd movers.....and your probably gonna leave it at he max power most of the time for the far shots anyway.
It comes down to training and youll be fine with a SFP.

With a NF you can get it now...maybe even a Vortex..you'll have to wait for the USO and from all the USO and NF i've compared...it aint that much different at various light conditions. (all the 44mm obj USO are not brighter than a 56mm NF....at least not in my eye.) Its all subjective...you spend the extra $1000 without actually comparing for yourself ..you are gonna believe the more expensive scope is better. BUt for an extra couple bucks no one will look down on you with a S&B!

Cant go wrong with a Premier too BTW!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do you neeed FFP for a .338LM?? I wouldnt shoot that round closer than 800yds first of all.definietly not gonna use a .338 for 100yd movers.....and your probably gonna leave it at he max power most of the time for the far shots anyway.
It comes down to training and youll be fine with a SFP.

</div></div>

This was part of my thought process when I finally pulled the trigger on the NF

Neither scopes have optics in the same league as a S&B or Hendsolt but only one of them is charging money less than a S&B or Hendsolt!

Id go NF every time until i had the money to burn on a Zeiss or S&B

I'd take a NF over a USO any day of the week. They're the toughest and most reliable scopes out there. USO is quite the opposite from my experience. My brand new sn3 tpal went back twice within the first 100 rounds for tracking issues, and was there for over a month each time. The one time I sent a NF in was for a guy that wanted it checked out before buying and it went door to door in under 2 weeks. I also like that there are a bunch of great vendors with NF's in stock and ready to ship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All- I appreciate the input, I really do. I just ordered the NightForce. I am confident this will be a good match with my 700.

I have a badger base and rings, and a few other goodies coming as well.

Thanks once again, pics to follow this week. </div></div>

Many are very happy with SFP scopes. Just be sure to let us know the first time you hold your windage or elevation at the wrong power and miss an important shot on a hunt or a match that cost more than the money you saved......

I'm just a huge FFP fan-I'll never miss from a bad holdover or wind hold again. I did it more than once under pressure in the past and its a lesson I'm not willing to repeat.
Plus I've never had the pleasure of talking to the Owner/CEO of NF, but USO's is a pretty good dude-even if his techs wear flip flops
laugh.gif

End of the day what matters is what YOU are happy with and work best with, not the internet peanut gallery however....

I have bought all of my USO's used on the Hide for very good prices, so that is great advice to shop the optics for sale section. I won't get into the greatest scope debate because everybody's brand scope of the upper tier is the best to them. I will say I have gotten very good service from my USO's and they are not babied and used hard....which is just what they are made to do well. FFP is a must for me....not so much for others. Both are fine scopes and you made the choice that suits you so that is the important thing. In the end all the advice in the world is useless if the purchase is not what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neither scopes have optics in the same league as a S&B or Hendsolt but only one of them is charging money less than a S&B or Hendsolt! </div></div>

Funny, at Gunsite a couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to line the three you mentioned up from our squad. Quite a few folks on my squad compared the three and couldn't tell the "league of optics" difference you claim when glassing the the same ridgeline at the same distance (1100yds +/-) under the same hazy afternoon conditions when the scopes were set at the same power side by side. The Hensoldt had the most "looking through nothing" sight picture with the way the scope's outline almost disappears, the S&B was predictably obviously quality kit, and the USO had the best FOV. Clarity (objective at best) was a non-issue, as all said they were pretty much the same, maybe just a little difference in color transmission.

I'm really glad I had the experience to check them out side by side, as it took two of them off the list of "things I gotta get".....

And on top, EVERYTHING CAN BREAK!! But can you call Mr Nightforce, Mr Hensoldt/Zeiss, or either Herr Schmidt or Herr Bender personally and chat on how they will fix the scope you bought used on the 'hide? I do have the number for Mr USO if you ever need to talk to the head of an American company about support for his product. I once wanted to verify support on a used scope purchase, so I checked-I told him I could get him the SN, he said "It says USO on it doesn't it, we'll take care of any issues you ever have". That's the best warranty in the business as far as I know.

And then there's support for our sport. If anyone from S&B, Hensoldt or NF woould like to support TPRC2011 here in Phoenix in February, please contact me.

I usually only see their hats at matches, where it is a rare match that I do not see a USO certificate and one happy mofo when they pick it up!

If I sound biased, I am. USO is a great product from a great AMERICAN company. My experience with them and their scopes is nothing short of awesome. And what's really crazy is I have only bought one new retail-the rest have all been used, so its not a <span style="font-style: italic">"pot committed"</span> lust for USO's I have.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hell, I even accidentally ran a rifle with a USO 5-25 on it over with my truck adn JBW#3 said "if there's anything wrong with it, send it in"- but the best part is: the scope's fine!!! </span>

So I had to share since the thread is "Trouble justifying USO"-in case it brings in others considering "justifying" a USO I want them to have the whole story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And then there's support for our sport. If anyone from S&B, Hensoldt or NF woould like to support TPRC2011 here in Phoenix in February, please contact me.

I usually only see their hats at matches, where it is a rare match that I do not see a USO certificate and one happy mofo when they pick it up!

If I sound biased, I am. USO is a great product from a great AMERICAN company. My experience with them and their scopes is nothing short of awesome. And what's really crazy is I have only bought one new retail-the rest have all been used, so its not a <span style="font-style: italic">"pot committed"</span> lust for USO's I have.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hell, I even accidentally ran a rifle with a USO 5-25 on it over with my truck adn JBW#3 said "if there's anything wrong with it, send it in"- but the best part is: the scope's fine!!! </span>

So I had to share since the thread is "Trouble justifying USO"-in case it brings in others considering "justifying" a USO I want them to have the whole story.</div></div>

Well thats your opinion but i rarely buy the old "me and so and so had all 3 scopes lined up bla bla bla"

Nor do i buy the running over a scope with my truck bull shit either. Who cares that you can drive a truck over a USO? its a pointless marketing ploy with little value since if your gun got run over by a truck its going to be fucked.

I also rarely take the opinion of someone with a yellow name and "freelance marketing and sales" in their profile especially when they are chipping in to a Vs thread.

S&B and Hendsolt are in a different league and their factories and laboratories prove it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
S&B and Hendsolt are in a different league and their factories and laboratories prove it </div></div>

That's horseshit...
have you owned/run all 3?

-I'm not referring to the marketing pictures of a truck parked on a USO tube, I'm referring to when I actually fucked up and ran over my soft case with my trailblazer before leaving for an out of town match at the range-not some marketing stunt.

-Me too, but the guys looking throught he scopes travelled from four states for a precision rifle match at Gunsite so they weren't range jokers, and they were the owners of the S&B's, Hensoldt's USO etc.

-I don't work for USO. My name's still orange from when I worked at POF, but I do not sell anything but personal gear swapping. I've asked it be changed, but so far it hasn't gotten done. I do "freelance marketing and sales" for POF-USA and don't hide that. I haven't done much other than shoot I rifle of theirs that I own in matches head to head with boltguns lately though.

-Believe what you will about their "laboratories", but I have seen every make of scope break under field condtions except the Hensoldt (and that's just a numbers game, since they are in so few hands). The money spent on the manufacturing facility means NOTHING. That logic would make factory Remingtons better than GAP/APA builds.

And when you feel like it, you can share your experience with other brand's unlimited lifetime warantees, as in something like "I called Zeiss about a scope I bought used five years ago, and this is what they told me".

The OP posted "trouble justifying USO" and I've shared my experience, which has been nothing short of amazing. You however have only proved you have a hard on for USO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here we go again.... </div></div>

I know, lead me tot he pasture and the first thing I do every time is step in it.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
S&B and Hendsolt are in a different league and their factories and laboratories prove it </div></div>

That's horseshit...
have you owned/run all 3?</div></div>

USO buys their glass from Schott which is owned by Zeiss and coatings and glass is an optics companies pride and biggest secret/asset.

So while USO buys their lenses from a competitor do you think Zeiss is going to sell them the best glass that they keep for themselves? No

Does USO have scientists and labs dedicated to perfecting the glass and optics? No

Watch the Zeiss video and then tell me that USO has a setup like that dedicated to some of the worlds best optics and then ill buy USO.

Until then ill buy the best if im in the market for a $3000 scope

I have read and heard from personal friends that have purchased USO scopes, and have used their customer supports numerous times, to get the scope right.

It seems that quality control has suffered slightly, at least 2-3 years ago, but I don't read near that many complaints anymore about USO.

I never thought that I would purchase one, just because of the issues people have had.

I had the opportunity to shoot ASC which USO donated something like 30 USO ST-10 with the front focus, EREK knob, with red illumination. We obviously did not use the illumination, but I really like the scope, with the GAP reticle. I like it so much, when I was lucky enough to roll snake eyes and win a GAP rifle, I thought it would be nice to stick the ASC marked USO ST10 on it.

I heard people saying before the match that the 10x would not be enough magnification to see impacts and targets beyond 1000 yards. Well, there was no problem at all, and quite to the contrary, seeing bullet impacts with the wide field of view was extremely easy.

We were able to get these scopes at a discounted price because they were "used", and I snatched on up as soon as I could. It is sitting on the GAP rifle I won off the prize table, and I absolutely love the rig.

my .02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's horseshit...
have you owned/run all 3?</div></div>

USO buys their glass from Schott which is owned by Zeiss and coatings and glass is an optics companies pride and biggest secret/asset.

So while USO buys their lenses from a competitor do you think Zeiss is going to sell them the best glass that they keep for themselves? No

Does USO have scientists and labs dedicated to perfecting the glass and optics? No

Watch the Zeiss video and then tell me that USO has a setup like that dedicated to some of the worlds best optics and then ill buy USO.

Until then ill buy the best if im in the market for a $3000 scope</div></div>

Spoken like someone regurgitating shit.

Ziess would not be selling glass to these companies if they were not selling top on the line, or at least exceedingly better glass than other options.

Buy a Ziess, and you will have the finest, most over priced hunting scopes in the world.

Ziess scopes are limited in elevation and windage and can not hold a candle to companies like USO/NF/S&B in the built like a tank category.

Ziess scopes go on $10,000 African hunting rifles that spend 362 days a year in the safe. USO/NF/ and the others are field scopes. Period.