• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trouble with cold boreing

dirtfarmer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Midwest, USA
I have built (mostly rebuilt) a remington model 700 Chambered in 30-06.
I made the barrel from 404 stainless and had it flash heat treated. the bolt was a mcm bros that is fitted to the action and barrel. the stock is a hand made peice from carbon fiber resin and has been floated to not interfear with the barrel. the problem is that it will not hold a cold bore shot with any reliability at 600 yrd. however once fired and warm to realy hot it is scarry acurate. any sugestions?

Tnx

correction the barrel was induction hardened...

Re: Trouble with cold boreing

Hold a blow-torch to the barrel before you shoot it!
smile.gif

Edited to say: Sorry, I couldn't help myself!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hold a blow-torch to the barrel before you shoot it!
smile.gif

Edited to say: Sorry, I couldn't help myself! </div></div>

LMAO...are you taking these cold bore shots with a fouled(dirty) barrel ?

yes I made the barrel myself out of a 1.1625" peice of solid bar it is 26" long and has four riffilings one full turn in 9.003".
And yes i have tried shootting both ways , clean and fouled.

How did you "stress relieve" the barrel, after it was rifled? Most barrel makers use heat or cold, depending on the material used. I have tried to get 2 prominent barrel makers to tell me how they do their barrels, but they won't give out that info. They won't tell me what kind of lube they use on their buttons either.

Motorcycle tire warmers maybe?

Seriously, are you talking about clean cold bore or fouled? Have you checked to see if there is a difference?

Oe approach might be to try preconditioning the bore with graphite, to simulate carbon fouling, which consists mainly of a similar graphite composition deposited as unburnt powder kernel coating. I use a suspension of rubbing alcohol and graphite in the small tubes from the automotive dept at Wallyworld. Allow it to evaporate before shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirtfarmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the problem is that it will not hold a cold bore shot with any reliability at 600 yrd.</div></div>Neither can I.

Have it cryo'd. Badger Cryogenics in Baraboo, WI can do that for you reasonably and very quick. If the barrel is changing POI from cold to hot (good or bad either way) I'd try a cryo stress relief.

First, since you have the talents to do that work, try slugging the barrel. You may have a slightly loose muzzle. And, Greg is right. The friction reducing compounds such as Graphite, Hexagonal Boron Nitride, and Moly Disulfide do help with the cold bore shot. NOT the clean, cold bore, but one fouled to optimum condition. JMHO

After much bang my head against the wall last night i decided to break the rifle completely back down and took the barrel to a fiend of mine who has a weld xray machine. apon which we found a flaw in the bar stock. now im sure that this is causeing the problem and i'm now debating on whether or not to try and re ream, and reflute or to scap it and start the D**M process over again.

What kind of flaw exists only on a cold bore shot, then goes away?

There apears to be a small air pocket near the bore about two inches frm the end of the barrel so in hope to fix it i'm going to try to cut about 3" off and re crown it...thanks for the help maybe just venting about to any one helped my perspective.