• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Troubleshooting wrong windcalls

Sniperhider

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2023
Wisconsin
What to do when you can’t see splash? I was gathering dope today for my 16” Ar 15 zeroed at 100 yards shooting M193. I was using the geo ballistics app to get try dope and it’s math was accurate at 2-400yrds. When the wind wasn’t blowing I was consistently getting centered hits out to 400. There was an on and off 12mph wind all day. The wind holds geo ballistics was giving were accurate at 300 yards. My problem is, using their wind holds at 400 I was not making hits. The range is in Louisiana and it has rained the last few days. I could not see any mud being kicked up in my misses. I don’t have a windreader so just going off the 12mph the weather app said and reading the windsock, which was a little less than completely horizontal. Besides shooting continuously until I hit the target what is the best way to go about this?

I did cross reference geo ballistics wind holds with the horniday app and they were within .2 mills of eachother

EDIT: .2 mils cross reference. Not 2 mills lol

Last edited:
2 mils? I hope you mean 0.2mils.

How does the m193 shoot? It’s pretty meh out of my guns. I wouldn’t expect reliable hits on sub 2 moa targets at extended ranges from my gun. How big are the targets?

The weather app isn’t necessarily accurate at your location. “Reading the wind” isn’t the same as reading a number off of a device. What was the wind actually doing? Could you see mirage in your scope? Leaves, grass, tree limbs, the feel of the wind on your face, the sound of it in your ears. These are all indicators of wind at your location. What was it doing at the target? What was the wind doing along the bullet path?

2 mils? I hope you mean 0.2mils.

How does the m193 shoot? It’s pretty meh out of my guns. I wouldn’t expect reliable hits on sub 2 moa targets at extended ranges from my gun. How big are the targets?

The weather app isn’t necessarily accurate at your location. “Reading the wind” isn’t the same as reading a number off of a device. What was the wind actually doing? Could you see mirage in your scope? Leaves, grass, tree limbs, the feel of the wind on your face, the sound of it in your ears. These are all indicators of wind at your location. What was it doing at the target? What was the wind doing along the bullet path?

Yes I definitely meant .2 mils. I edited it. The m193 did good in my opinion but I’m probably on the novice end of shooting. I know the fundamentals(breathing, trigger press ect) but still have to remind myself to do them while shooting. At 100 yards with a 5 shot group 4 fit inside a 1.5” circle. One I sent several inches off. All of this is shooting seated off the bench, resting my gun on a shooting bag that I stacked on top my backpack.

The 300 yard targets were 6 and 8” diameter steel that I was hitting consistently. At 400 was a torso sized target(probably 16x20”?)

Conveniently the wind sock was at 400 yards. I guess I got kind of fixated on that and forgot to look the tree line running along the left side of the lane. It runs the full length. The range is set up that the area you shoot from is surrounded by berm on the two sides, and half of the backside. As mentioned, the left side has a tree line all the way to 800. The right side has a berm to 50, then a 15th deep pit(old trash pit) for 100 yards, then open the rest of the way to 800.

I know some of it is me not being practiced at looking through the scope through the shot, to pick up impacts, but is there any thing I can do besides that(or ask for a spotter) to help trouble shoot where my shots are going?

What to do when you can’t see splash? I was gathering dope today for my 16” Ar 15 zeroed at 100 yards shooting M193. I was using the geo ballistics app to get try dope and it’s math was accurate at 2-400yrds. When the wind wasn’t blowing I was consistently getting centered hits out to 400. There was an on and off 12mph wind all day. The wind holds geo ballistics was giving were accurate at 300 yards. My problem is, using their wind holds at 400 I was not making hits. The range is in Louisiana and it has rained the last few days. I could not see any mud being kicked up in my misses. I don’t have a windreader so just going off the 12mph the weather app said and reading the windsock, which was a little less than completely horizontal. Besides shooting continuously until I hit the target what is the best way to go about this?

I did cross reference geo ballistics wind holds with the horniday app and they were within .2 mills of eachother

EDIT: .2 mils cross reference. Not 2 mills lol
An actual windsock should be 3 Knots/3.5 MPH per section. Your actual wind was closer to 15 MPH.

Reactions: Conaso
An actual windsock should be 3 Knots/3.5 MPH per section. Your actual wind was closer to 15 MPH.
1702897509223.png

I’ve ran into the same problem a few times during local matches. Miss— couldn’t see where it went so I was stuck with guessing and it doesn’t really work out.

I was watching a video not too long ago, and the shooter said if he has this issue (not seeing the miss) he would hold half a target to full target less against wind (when there are trees around) and half a target more (when it’s open country). Might not be the best solution but I’m going to try it next time. Having some kind of strategy is better than “whelp, start sending them until something hits”

Reactions: Sniperhider
I would try to extrapolate with the closest known data point. How was the poi/POA at 300yd? I will adjust the 400yd windage based on 300yd error. Each moa wind at 300yd is 1.3moa at 400yd. While I'm at it, I will correct the elevation too, moa to moa.

If it still doesn't hit, I am going to cheat. I will pick a spot on the ground/backstop that can possibly give me hint, a water puddle perhaps, and give it a shot. If it still doesn't tell, I will go into "survival mode". Aim at 4 edges of the target. Still doesn't work? I will give up and save the ammo. Sometimes it takes more courage not to shoot.

It may sound handy to have a wind sock right at 400yd. But it actually has the least weighting. Wind at closer ranges counts more.

-TL