• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Troy Battle Sights or KAC Micro's for SBR

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I'm trying to figure out what direction to go for BUIS on my 10.5" m16. Currently I have KAC Micro sights on the gun, 200-600m on the rear. I like the size and weight but the one time I had to use them (dead T1 battery) they were definitely wrong for my intended application (too slow.) The BDC feature is wasted on them also, I won't be shooting past 200m and if I did the calibration would be off anyway.

I want a sight that is quick to acquire as most shooting is done from 10-50 yards, but still capable of easy hits at 100y and 200y if necessary. My two options are as follows:

1: Replace the rear with a 300m fixed KAC sight. The aperature has an insert that can be removed to enlarge the opening which I would do after zeroing.

2: Replace with Troy Battle Sights, HK style. I had a set a couple years back on an OBR and I did really like them. They seemed fast, and I like the way the HK style uses "concentric circles."

Interested in hearing input from you guys.

Re: Troy Battle Sights or KAC Micro's for SBR

I vote for the Troys...quick to deploy, robust, the rear will have both large & small apertures for close, long range, or, low light condition shots, etc. I run Troys (BUIS) on the majority of my AR's...with the exception of the following:

I haven't changed out the factory KAC sights on my SR15 IWS as, they're good to go for that rig. Plus, I have a Matech BUIS on one of my other AR's which has been really nice too.

my $0.02

AvsFan
cool.gif

C'mon guys, trying to get a conversation started about something other than PMags and lowers being impossible to get!

I've always preferred Troy BUIS especially on my SBR's.

I've always found Troy to be faster, but I haven't shot KAC BUIS with a large aperature in the rear.

Found a 300m Micro at a fair price. I will probably also buy some Troys and just keep the ones I like better. Both seem to hold their value pretty well.

Let me know which ones you decide to sell first Bm11 i have a set of Troy's now i like on my LMT MWS but i have some YHM on my AR15 which i don't care for . if you have the HK front sight troy's and decide to let them go

I chose the troys for my SBR and really like them. It's nice to have a full size pair of sights that fold down out of the way. I've shot many 3gun matches with open sights and find them as quick as a red dot out to 100yds. The only problem with the setup is me, as a lefty it can be tricky to deploy them or fold them down one handed, with my right hand.

I went through a similar debate. Ended up with Magpuls on mine, as weight was also a consideration for me in building the SBR.

I LOVE the KAC Micros...hands down the best BUIS out there, imho. But, they belong on a 16"-18" rifle...not an 11".