• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing True action or not ????

bjordan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2010
Siler City, NC
I have a Remington xcr tactical long range 308 that shoots consistent 1/2 MOA all the time. Has shot in the .3's during bench-rest comps. I'm wanting to re-barrel it to either 6xc, 6 creedmore or 6x47L. Is it safe to say if the gun shoots this good with the factory barrel that it will shoot the same or better with a custom barrel? I don't have alot of funds and would like to have everything completed before March. There's no way I can afford to get the action trued and still make my timeframe. Whats everyone's opinion on just re-barreling without truing the action? Thanks in advance hide. If this would be better suited in the bolt action section mods please move it.

Re: True action or not ????

if it is shooting that well now you should be good to go. i have re barreled factory remmys that shot over an inch and with just a new tube and no truing they shot very well but it is best to have the work done now since that barrel is going to live on your rifle for thousands of round. do it right do it once.

Most smiths require you to true the action before they will install a tube (liability because of potential for poor accuracy?). It's not much more expensive if you have already paid to get your rifle to the smith and disassembled.

The new barrel blank will have to be turned down and threaded to fit the un-trued receiver, meaning if you don't like the way it shoots it will have to be set back the entire tenon length to true and have a second go-around.

I would true it when it gets the new tube and save yourself potential accuracy troubles. Plus, if you get the flier in a match that drops you to second place you can't spend the rest of your life wondering about the receiver.

Now's the time to do it. Then it's done...forever.

My advice is to keep shooying it like it is and enjoy the rifle for now and save the xtra money to have the action trued when you rebarrel. Just my opinion

Benchmark has a deal going on now through new years. $700 gets you a trued action, barrel (installed) and a PTG recoil lug.