• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater True Detective

I saw the first episode and liked pretty well; the frame narrative and the flashbacks are pretty interesting. I like the way they predispose you, right from the get go, to sort of wonder who is telling the truth . . . if anyone. Looking forward to watching the second episode today.

Caught the second episode last night. I'm not a big TV watcher, but this show looks really good. I was intrigued enough to watch a replay of the first episode.

As a native of New Orleans, it's great to see familiar scenes from the area. The episode last night had a scene in the NORCO spillway. I used to shoot my Ruger 10/22 there when I was a kid.

Great acting/casting.. Very slow narrative developing..which is why they have a whole season to tell one story..

True Detective

The slowness is to my liking. Some of my favorite movies are extremely slow. Tinker tailor, the road, the counselor, are some.

This series keeps making me think it's someone we think is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEW RULE!!!
When we find a great tv show, do not share till the season is over....

I hate waiting a week for the next episode.
:D

NEW RULE!!!
When we find a great tv show, do not share till the season is over....

I hate waiting a week for the next episode.
:D

Me too :( but house of cards is coming shortly which will be released all at once.

BTW are we having to wait because of the F'ing super bowl?

Last edited:
Did everyone catch Sunday's episode? Man it flew by, got the thick of it and it was over :(.

The final act was full of awesome, portrayed as one long crazy shot (though I'm pretty sure it was stitched together in post). What a great show!

I was leery of the show after watching the first episode. Started off really slow for me. Caught the episode last night and now I'm hooked.

True Detective

Hoy hell this past episode.

I do think Rust is somehow connected, but it would just be too much of an obvious and redundant twist. This series seems to have been eluding to Rusts past the entire time. And from the beginning I wanted to say it's him. But again in the world of twist this is the usual and would be a cop out IMO as well as too obvious.

But maybe it's the fact that I don't want him to be the killer that's skewing my judgement. There is no doubt Rust has a dark troubled past but I just can't see it.

Damn this series is so good.

Last edited:
The first few episodes were a bit slow but last weeks picked it up a bit. THIS week's was amazing. The early episodes laid the foundation and developed the characters really well in hindsight. I'm not sure how they're going to be able to make it multi-season, but holy hell I love it.

I don't think Rust is in on it. He kinda went the profiling route before it was cool so everyone says he's weird. He's ahead of the game so to speak. I think he's onto something about the Task Force wanting to take it over so quickly. I think someone above his pay grade is on it and wanted him off the case because he's good.

True Detective

I've also said it is one of the Tuttles. Remember the Governor's cousin? The preacher. On the very first episode he states something about a religious war going on or something of the sort. Then the guy on LSD and meth that spoke of the "yellow king" and how he was high up and had plenty of power. Then that guy ends up dead in the next three days.

I think Reggie Ladue while connected wasn't their man and Rust knew that.

Last edited:
This is the best show on television, IMO. Great acting, and I love that McConnaughey and Harrelson are juxtaposed into the opposite roles they usually play (Harrelson the edge-teetering philosopher, McConnaughey the family man). The slow boil works for me because the plot and world-building is so damn rich. The entire show oozes Southern Gothic.

And who is the Yellow King???

I'm thinking that the "Yellow King" is the preacher.

Haha, no way! Wouldn't that be too predictable for a show as intricate and twisted as this? I'm honestly thinking it's one of the political figures the governor sent to set up his anti-cult task force...

Am I the only one completely blown away with the opening title sequence on this show?

True Detective (2014) ? Art of the Title

It's an incredible title sequence, though I think you've got a higher appreciation for what it takes to create something like that than the rest of us. For me, it's the layered storytelling that blows me away. The episode where they're telling the story of assaulting the house, and then showing how it went down... absolutely awesome.

The Yellow King has got to be the Governor's cousin Rev. Tuttle. I am also loving the title sequence. Makes me admire T Bone Burnett even more.

The Yellow King has got to be the Governor's cousin Rev. Tuttle. I am also loving the title sequence. Makes me admire T Bone Burnett even more.

I'd agree that it is something along these lines.

I also think the Harrelson character may be in on it too. He was a bit quick to shoot the main suspect so he couldn't be questioned and he is well liked by his superiors, maybe for being willing to play along.

I'd agree that it is something along these lines.

I also think the Harrelson character may be in on it too. He was a bit quick to shoot the main suspect so he couldn't be questioned and he is well liked by his superiors, maybe for being willing to play along.

That would make some twist..that's for sure. I can't see it though at least there is just no evidence to lead us to believe that. I think Marty being somewhat a family man blew Reggie's face off simply because of the two children chained up, one of which being dead. I can honestly say as evil as it may sound i would not be able to take something like that, would've done the same. The world has no use for people of that nature and they should be intolerable.

The reason i believe it's Rev. Tuttle is that it just makes sense to me. Here we have a man that is connected to power, centered in religious indoctrination, and only been shown once on the show. Thus most would seem to forget about him. The great thing about this show is right now it's literally at Pizzolatto's fingertips. He's done a great job with the combined elements because here we are speculating about the outcome. Quite frankly part of me is thinking we wont even find out who the actual killer is, that will come with season 2.

Dogtown i do love the intro, I agree with Bubba though not knowing how all this is made, my reaction to the intro is usually based a lot on the song used. This one is great. Some of my favorite series intros are Banshee, Mad Men, BoB, The Walking Dead, etc.

The main reason this show is slowly becoming my favorite series is it's tone. It is like 8 hours of Se7en and i adore that show, love the dark tone to it. I did read an article that actually talked about how David Fincher wasn't involved with this, would have to say i'm a bit stumbled myself.

That would make some twist..that's for sure. I can't see it though at least there is just no evidence to lead us to believe that. I think Marty being somewhat a family man blew Reggie's face off simply because of the two children chained up, one of which being dead. I can honestly say as evil as it may sound i would not be able to take something like that, would've done the same. The world has no use for people of that nature and they should be intolerable.

I can see what you're saying, but he already cheated on his wife, freaked out on his mistresses new lover, and as the show has progressed his idyllic family life isn't so. There's something dark developing there.

It's almost as if he is protecting the image of his family, while their reality is uglier. The analogy is he is a company man, protecting the image of his employers and their legacy, when their reality may be outright sinister. It's subtle right now, but we will see if it keeps playing out this way. I'm not betting on it, only acknowledging the possibility.

Last edited:
I see didn't think of it that way, it's true he has progressively gotten worse. Though he chalked all blame on the case not him pretty much.

Holy hell. It gets better and better. I just don't see enough exposition in episodes 7 & 8 to close out this case. I think it will go on to the second season.

Oh btw Michelle Monaghan's ass wow.

I wait for Sunday night like when Soprono's were on, it can't come fast enough. I was hooked in the first minute of the opening theme by the Handsome Family; fantastic acting by Harrelson & McConaughey, the director Fukunaga is perfectly building Pizzolatta writing.
How are we going to adjust to new characters and story when this season ends? Its apparently going to be a self-contained Anthology format. Who can follow these guys?

I wait for Sunday night like when Soprono's were on, it can't come fast enough. I was hooked in the first minute of the opening theme by the Handsome Family; fantastic acting by Harrelson & McConaughey, the director Fukunaga is perfectly building Pizzolatta writing.
How are we going to adjust to new characters and story when this season ends? Its apparently going to be a self-contained Anthology format. Who can follow these guys?

I heard this too but honestly i don't see it. Any official word that they switch detectives every season? Quite frankly it would kill the show to switch detectives and a new story. Less they have a great ability to wrap it up in 120min. Even then i don't see it. It's like taking Kevin Spacey out of House Of Cards or Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad it doesn't work, not when they've established such definitive characters that only they could play.

Yes, I agree with you, but; doesn’t the storyline itself look like its heading to a conclusion? According to a few source’s it was written solely by Pizzolatto in 2 ½ months 500 pages and is meant to be a short season of 8 episodes instead of the standard 12-13.

Yes to an extent I just feel there is more exposition to be had. So we don't get to them teaming up in the present until the last two episodes? Then all of sudden in 120min they have him? I just can't see it. I think or hope rather we leave on a cliff hanger and continue in season two. Rather than switch actors and detectives.

Also with switching detectives means you can't repeat your steps because it becomes to obvious. Say we do get two other detectives they will have to come up with some real gold to not mimic the same model were seeing and the drama between the two.

Gonna go do some digging but I hope our speculation on them being only in this season is wrong.

Last edited:
Started watching it tonight. Skipped over most of the comments for possible spoilers...planning to come back and read more when I've caught up.

Yeah don't look at the comments until it's finished, the majority of us have been discussing it episode by episode if you just started, you'll need to catch up.

From Michelle Monaghan's interview on episode 6

OK, final question: if you had to pick one word to describe how Season 1 of True Detective ends, what would it be?

Staggering.

Interesting the choice of "Yellow King " ... Robert Chambers wrote a book called "King in Yellow" in 1895, since then it has been referred to and used in many different books and one film called "yello Sign". All in that kind of Supernatual & Horror Genre. One of the stories in the collection, suggests that anyone who possesses, even by accident, a copy of the sign is susceptible to some form of insidious mind control, or possession, by the King in Yellow. So that tattoo or marking on the girls back has more interest.

Caught up tonight. I don't think it is Rev T. himself that is the Yellow King but rather someone who has influence over him and that he was enabling/protecting.

As far as switching detectives goes I guess they could do it similar to the American Horror Story series but I hope they don't...Harrelson and McConaughey are too good.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

from what my wife says its going to be like american horror story. This has been one of the best seasons of TV ive seen lately. only two more episodes!!!

True Detective

I'll go down saying it would be suicide to rid of McConaughey and Harrelson. The show might remain good but it will never be the same. Much like Spartacus it's still good I guess, but Andy Whitfield made the series IMO

Last edited:
I'll go down saying it would be suicide to rid of McConaughey and Harrelson. The show might remain good but it will never be the same. Much like Spartacus it's still good I guess, but Andy Whitfield made the series IMO

Just read this article http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/27/true-detective-nic-pizzolatto-season-1/

At the end he states that he would like to use some of the same actors but that it would be different characters and a different setting. Honestly I really wish they weren't going this route and had planned it to stick with the same characters in some way.

Just read this article 'True Detective' creator Nic Pizzolatto on Carcosa, hideous men, and the season 1 endgame | Inside TV | EW.com

At the end he states that he would like to use some of the same actors but that it would be different characters and a different setting. Honestly I really wish they weren't going this route and had planned it to stick with the same characters in some way.

I don't know, I have a little more faith in the American Horror model, especially if they keep Harrelson and McConaughey. The dynamics between these two are fantastic. Can't wait to see how this season wraps up.

I called it from the moment we met Tuttle. Damn this series is so fucking good. I'm still unsure how it ends. I mean obviously we reach the climax of the story but what about them bringing the entire thing to light and exposing the Tuttles for what they are.

Somehow Audrey is involved in the last episode i think, either having been abused and we don't know about it or a current victim but there are some weird details in the story.

There is the five horseman theory going around talking about the five men in the childhood picture of Dora Lang at the Lang residence as well as the snuff film of Marie. Rust makes five stick figures with the yellow star from the lone star cans as the head symbolizing the "yellow king" and then there is the time when Audrey in an earlier episode has five men surrounding a barbie depicting a murder/rape.

Notice the painting in these two pictures?
LL

LL

So the question is was Audrey admitted to a behavioral health clinic having been victimized and we don't know about it? Maybe too much. The coincidence of those paintings though is disturbing as well as the fact that Audrey has been somewhat obsessed with sex, having drawn sexually explicit images in earlier episodes and then participating in a threesome later.

We got a solid look at the "spaghetti man" tonight as well, though i'm with Rust i think this "cult" so to speak goes way back.

Again though i'm still somewhat puzzled as to how we're going to wrap it up in an hour. I'm thinking the ending will be pretty rough: i don't think we're going to walk away with a happy one.

Last edited:
Good points about Audrey...you may be right. I didn't notice the paintings but that is kinda creepy.

The last Line of this episode was "my family's been here a long long time" so its definitely a family tradition of sorts. I didnt noticed the paintings either good catch.

Thanks for showing the paintings. Was MM's father, who Marty had lots of tension with, perhaps the connection to the Tuttles? Audry's early drawings and toy figures portraying Baccahanal rites could be memories of a trip with Ol' Grandad.

This thread just blew my mind after keeping up with series. I feel like an idiot. How did I miss the stuff with Marty's daughter !!

I caught the pictures and association with Audrey though another member's findings on OCN a computer forum i'm on. I thought it was interesting so i figured i'd post with my theories.

I'm also curious about MM's father i think that might be out of the way though.

I'm mainly puzzled as to how they plan to tie all lose ends by episode 8.

Last edited:
I think Audreys grandfather is implicated somehow, and portrayed as a wealthy man. The great thing about this show is that every single scene has clues. It's like, every minute of the show is a piece of the puzzle.