• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRUED?

Phoenix_86

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
KOKOMO, IN
i am new to long range and precision rifles and see alot of post or talk about a rifle being trued. i was just wondering what this meant and what in the firearm it purtained to? i think it has to due with accuracy, and if so should i have it done the my rem 700? thanks for the help

Re: TRUED?

truing means diferent things to diferent people.

some consider refacing the front of the receiver true to the threads and lapping the lugs "trued". others, myself included go quite a bit further than that. all surfaces are aligned with the centerline of the receiver raceway. once the centerline is found, the front of the receiver is faced, the threads are recut and the internal lugs are faced. after that, the bolt is set up the same way and the rear of the lugs and the bolt face are refaced. i like to go a bit further than that and true up the front of the bolt lugs, the outside diameter of the bolt nose and the front of the bolt nose. this allows for better measurements and to make sure the bolt doesn't contact the barrel.

for a rifle with a factory barrel, i really doubt you would notice any accuracy improvement by truing the action. when you step up to an aftermarket match grade barrel, it is one of those things that you may or may not notice a difference but to me, it's worth the assurance that you did as much as you could to obtain the best accuracy.

This is The Age Of The Catchphrase and "true" suckers many.

When you can outshoot your rifle,is when you should start digging a little deeper. Not like that is going to happen though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DangerFirst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is The Age Of The Catchphrase and "true" suckers many.

When you can outshoot your rifle,is when you should start digging a little deeper. Not like that is going to happen though. </div></div>

Don't piss in the guy's cornflakes.

I took a standard .308 Remington Varmint rifle and by the time I had better than 5000 rounds through it I was shooting it as well as it could be shot. I rebarreled before 6000 rounds and had the action trued (what sniper said above) and it now shoots almost as good as my scalpel. It took about 16 years to get there. I've had the scalpel only 2 years and have put a thousand rounds a year down it so far.

My advice is to spend your money on ammo and shooting the next few years and get some high quality instruction. You will know when you are shooting as good as your rifle can shoot after a few thousand rounds. Then you can start thinking about upgrading.

I have taken to shooting bolt action .22 rimfires a lot lately and it really has helped me. Something to think about because ammo for it is cheep.

You want me to clap my hands because you shot a whopping 300rds a year and think that is of signifigance? Best rethink that ploy.

Few would feel compelled about bragging upon being that slooowwwwwwww of a learner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DangerFirst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want me to clap my hands because you shot a whopping 300rds a year and think that is of signifigance? Best rethink that ploy.

Few would feel compelled about bragging upon being that slooowwwwwwww of a learner.
</div></div>

Is there a reason you feel compelled to be a dick?

banned1.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DangerFirst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is The Age Of The Catchphrase and "true" suckers many.

When you can outshoot your rifle,is when you should start digging a little deeper. <span style="color: #FF0000">Not like that is going to happen though.</span> </div></div>

i'm not sure how you know what someone's shooting abilities are or will be in the future.

I've an uncanny ability to read sign and have a batting average that would be impossible for you to fathom.

Do wax eloquent upon your "experience" and feel free to rub my nose in same.

Be careful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DangerFirst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've an uncanny ability to read sign and have a batting average that would be impossible for you to fathom.

Do wax eloquent upon your "experience" and feel free to rub my nose in same.

Be careful. </div></div>

so on your first day posting on this site, you know enough about another poster to be able to tell that they will most likely never be able to out shoot their factory rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this another "nobody" account?
smile.gif
</div></div>

i was wondering the same thing by the way this guy puts his sentences together. you need to study them to figure out what the hell he's trying to say.

i actually liked nobody though. this guy, so far, not so much.

TIS,

Of course. Next the windowlickers will start holding their collective breath,start stamping their feet and throwing things. While entertaining,it will not bolster their trigger time and the findings associated with same.

I'm slow to an endorse dumb ideas,if only for the obvious reasons.

It sure reads like <span style="font-style: italic">nobody</span>.

Or maybe <span style="font-style: italic">nobody's</span> kid just learned to type . . .

.....i missed you.....but i'm now giddy as a little school girl

welcome, there are so many of the un-washed that seem to have infected this place, did you bring a hose ?

I've got a smart idea for you...how about you stfu. What this site does not need is another troll. The guy is at least asking questions he doesn't need your asshat advice or poor sentence structure.

Phoenix...if you are just starting out I doubt that trueing your rifle will make a lot of noticeable difference to you.

I think it may help us spend your money for you if you tell us a little more about your set up...What may help more than anything is decent optics and a stock that fits you well. If you have those bases covered, what sort of 5 shot groupings are you shooting at 100 yards? Have you ever put your rifle in a vise to determine the accuracy of the rifle? Lastly, what caliber are you shooting?

Please don't let one asshat scare you off; I'm sure a Mod will be along shortly to take out the trash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DangerFirst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've an uncanny ability to read sign </div></div>

2cxxqpc.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a smart idea for you...how about you stfu. What this site does not need is another troll. The guy is at least asking questions he doesn't need your asshat advise or poor sentence structure.

Phoenix...if you are just starting out I doubt that trueing your rifle will make alot of noticeable difference to you.

I think it may help us spend your money for you if you tell us a little more about your set up...What may help more than anything is decent optics and a stock that fits you well. If you have those bases covered, what sort of 5 shot groupings are you shooting at 100 yards? Have you ever put your rifle in a vise to determine the accuracy of the rifle? Lastly, what caliber are you shooting?

Please don't let one asshat scare you off, I'm sure a Mod will be along shortly to take of the trash. </div></div>
^ LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DangerFirst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TIS,

Of course. Next the windowlickers will start holding their collective breath,start stamping their feet and throwing things. While entertaining,it will not bolster their trigger time and the findings associated with same.

I'm slow to an endorse dumb ideas,if only for the obvious reasons. </div></div>

No offense, I do indeed take many of your good info out of the content, plus some good laugh
smile.gif
. Good to see you Sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a smart idea for you...how about you stfu. What this site does not need is another troll. The guy is at least asking questions he doesn't need your asshat advice or poor sentence structure.

Phoenix...if you are just starting out I doubt that trueing your rifle will make a lot of noticeable difference to you.

Please don't let one asshat scare you off; I'm sure a Mod will be along shortly to take out the trash.
</div></div>

I'll happily rub your nose in your own stupidity,if you are truly a glutton for that sorta punishment.