• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trueing kestrel with a 22LR

fili.herrera

Minuteman
Jul 5, 2011
Maryland
So here’s my question. What distance are y’all using to true your kestrel shooting a 22LR? I’m gonna be shooting lapua center-x. I hope I’m asking the question the right way. Thanks gents

Really does not matter since bullet is already subsonic. Just pick a max range you will be shooting and go down from there. My kestrel was only off by .2 mil at 250yds when I trued mine to midas +.

Reactions: SepticDeath
If you have a 5700 elite, use the DSF function.

Take the longest you expect to regularly shoot. Then use that and 5 other ranges.

I use 300 yds as my furthest. Then I go every 25yds (50 would work as well) and write down the dope.

Then I either use the 6 that don’t line up perfectly or I pick 6 (if it’s more) that don’t line up that are spread out enough to ensure the best curve.

C6BCDDED-3E8A-4468-B250-F6FDD17DE807.jpeg

Thanks for this. Now I need to find a place to test this out. Unfortunately the range I go to won’t allow to go check targets at the given distances to see impacts. But this would be awesome to do

I find that if I follow the directions - zero at 50, conduct MV calibration at 200 (kestrel says 7.2 for 200, actual is 6.9, MV Cal to 6.9, save return) my elevation jumps up to 8 or so. Not sure what in doing wrong but i stopped doing it and just do the DSF which seems to work very well

I find that if I follow the directions - zero at 50, conduct MV calibration at 200 (kestrel says 7.2 for 200, actual is 6.9, MV Cal to 6.9, save return) my elevation jumps up to 8 or so. Not sure what in doing wrong but i stopped doing it and just do the DSF which seems to work very well

Ya, MV isn’t good with subsonic. Not sure if that was some older info or what.

Ya, MV isn’t good with subsonic. Not sure if that was some older info or what.
I bought my first Kestrel about a month ago and found the same instructions that Badjujuu posted right on Kestrels website. It's also my top result when searching for "How to setup my kestrel for .22lr". Although it did work for me and my kestrel is right on all the way out to 400.

Reactions: Badjujuu
I bought my first Kestrel about a month ago and found the same instructions that Badjujuu posted right on Kestrels website. It's also my top result when searching for "How to setup my kestrel for .22lr". Although it did work for me and my kestrel is right on all the way out to 400.

That's what I found searching Kestrel site.

Although, when I calibrate my MV at 200 and save it, my elevation jumps up immediately. Once i proceed to DSF calibration, and save the curve is pretty much right on. I've done this up to 300

The Kestrel Elite Lapua Center-X Custom Curve worked right out of the box for 3 Vudoos I've played with using Center-X out to 400 yards.
How do you input that curve data into a gun profile? I cant even find it on my Kestrel phone app (recently updated to 5700 Elite)

How do you input that curve data into a gun profile? I cant even find it on my Kestrel phone app (recently updated to 5700 Elite)
In the Kestrel Ballistics phone app>Bullet Library>0.224>Lapua(Rimfire)>choose CenterX. It will then ask if you want G1, G7 or AB Custom Curve.