• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Truing Bolt Face

tiltonwilder

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
How much can be taken off the bolt face on a 700 when truing it up? Thanks

Re: Truing Bolt Face

Everything I have read about doing any kind of truing you only remove just enough to make it true... usually like 3 thousandths or less. as far as how much you can take I don't know. but I would guess not much or you will change how the extractor grabs the case rim, and cause the firing pin to protrude to far. I am just speculating.

If the rifle is head-spaced properly on a quality GO gauge, you should not remove any material from the bolt face. The difference between a GO gauge and a NO GO gauge is .003”. So, removing .003” will allow the bolt to close on a NO GO gauge, effectively ruining the head-spacing.

If you true the bolt face, the correct procedure is to set the barrel shoulder back one thread and re-chamber for correct head-spacing.

Hat bout firing pin protrusuion, wouldnt you need to take the same amount be it 1 thou or 2 thou of the firing pin too.

If the BF is only cut enough to true it .001-.002" pin portrusion will not need to be adjusted. Now if your trying to clean up bolt face pitting from leaky primers it may take .005-.010 or more. Than the pin can be shortened. The bigger problem is the loss of Cam or primary extraction. Which is also compounded when lugs and abutments are also trued. And worse if there trued and galling marks need to be removed.

Then it's time to have the bolt handle repositioned, to regain lost "cam"