• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Trust Apps Increasing ATF Processing?

Jim R

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2007
East Tennessee
Can anyone here confirm or deny the statement from my Class III dealer: "NFA trusts are creating increased processing times for applications?"

Re: Trust Apps Increasing ATF Processing?

I don't have a confirmation from NFA branch but I have heard from people in the industry and others at BATF that the trusts are being looked over much more thoroughly than regular individual applications and this will take more time. Trust documents have to be filed with the transfers and that adds paperwork to the piles so even moving the paperwork around will be more time. It does make sense when you look at how transfers work that trusts would add to the time involved.

Frank

Trusts are increasing times in general due to their ability to add new buys to the NFA world. That alone accounts for a huge amount of volume.

I think that statement is far from the truth... I've transferred 12 cans with my trust this calendar year alone and the time frame from pending to approved is 100% based on the examiner backlog and workload. I have spoken to my examiner and she indicated that there is less work associated with trusts because they don't have to process the photos, fingerprint cards and CLEO signature...

With that said the stamps that came back prior to the examiners getting assistants were consistently 6-7 months from pending to approved with a typical 30-60 day delay from paperwork delivery to them going into pending status. Since the hiring of the assistants my pending to approved times have steadily dropped to 4-5 months with the delay from paperwork delivery to pending being between 15-30 days.

Now please note this is all based on my experience with trust transfers in Texas where Sara Jones is the examiner. Below is the information that I personally track for my transfers and I only call once at 90 day mark after delivery for one status check and that's it...

Date sent
Date delivered
Date cashed
Date pending
Date approved
Date delivered

I hope this helps and good luck!!!

It should not take any more time, it could be a little bit more quicker. I've heard if you have 10 people or more on your trust it may slow things down.