• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Trust questions with the new NFA rules

Ts1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2001
Denver, CO
I have been buying suppressors on my trust since 2007 with the last one being purchased just before the new rules going into effect. For those of you who have done something similar to me, have any of you bought suppressors under the new rules? Did it require a big change to your trust and how much of a pain in the ass was it to buy under the current rules? If it is much harder, I may just suck it up and hire a attorney to help change the trust so I can make future purchases.

The system was working so well, what a bunch of crap to change it.

I didn't have to change my trust at all, just needed to add the fingerprints and pictures.
At 10 months on my wait now, hopefully I'll get it pretty soon!
DW

Each "Responsible Person" named on your application for a suppressor purchase will have to submit their fingerprints, photograph and submit a completed "Responsible Person Questionnaire, Form 5320.23, all appended to your application. That's the inconvenient part of the process.

Strike, that would be a pain. I would have to delete some people off of the trust as it would be difficult to get their fingerprints. I probably would simplify the list as well.

According to my dealer if you drop them from the trust to do the paperwork you can't add them back until after the stamp comes back.

According to my dealer if you drop them from the trust to do the paperwork you can't add them back until after the stamp comes back.

That is correct. Take them off, apply, add them back on. It's the easiest way.

You know this only applies to trustees, right? They have to have fingerprints and pictures. Those are the "responsible persons". They are added by a notary. Anyone you can add or remove I understand doesn't require pictures or prints. I have one beneficiary (a friend I bequeathed it all to upon me and my wife's death) and they didn't require prints or pictures for him, just me and my wife's.

The trust itself doesn't change unless you want to remove trustees to make it easier. There are more hoops to jump through and the first time it would behoove you to get good info --call ATF if you have ANY questions or there are ANY speculations online regarding your query. I bugged the fuck out of them the first two times (first time ever and first time post 41f). In all the forms I've submitted, only ever had two discrepancies, one was them not understanding LMT SN's and another was my fuck up of putting "The" in front of my trust when there isn't one. Both were expedited with no extra wait though.

Having to notarized paperwork to add or removed an individual is not the distinction that they are trustees or co-trustees. A lawyers can write a trust so beneficiaries have to get their signatures notarized or co-trustees do not have to get their signature notarized.