• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Trust questions

I used the practice out of Florida, that advertises on NRA pages. I used the least expensive option. Worked well. Submission, mid-April 2014; Stamp issued mid-Sept 2014.

I used a local firearms lawyer who specializes in NFA trusts, and he in fact is a collector himself and decided to fill the gap when cans went legal here in WA. They also do regular estate planning and revocable trusts, corporations, etc. My lawyer, Brislawn, got bought out or merged with another firm and they're called "The Private Client Law Group" now but if you search for it, make sure to include WA or Bellevue or Brislawn, some or all in the search parameter, so it doesn't come up with other firms in other states with similar names.

Anyway, I got the $500 "silver" option (there is/was a cheaper basic "bronze" package and an even more upgraded "gold" package for around $1000). Mine is a little more involved, includes my wife as a second trustee who can act autonomously of myself regarding sales and purchases (better trust her if you do this!) and includes options for lifetime beneficiaries (that can be revoked at any time) meaning I can legally "loan" NFA items to these people if I choose to do so. I have options for leaving certain items to people upon death. I also get the entire $500 back towards a complete estate plan when we're ready for that, so that was a selling point for us.

Now when they merged, I noticed here recently when I went to get a new copy of the updated Schedule A, that they do one of their basic packages online now. I can't speak for online trusts, but if you want a basic one for a decent price this one was $85-$100 (I forget) but either way, that's cheap for a trust done by a competent attorney (provided they go over it! --like I said, I don't know anything about their online version, so it would behoove you to call first).

NOW. If they don't go over it, if you just fill in blanks and hit print, I'd avoid that and go to a real attorney who specializes in NFA trusts (some are clueless as to what that is) and get one done. Basic ones generally run $100-$250 depending on who does it where and what "upgrades" it has included standard. FWIW, Brislawn and The Private Client Law Group use the Gundocx. trust document.

I've used my trust for four NFA items now with no problems and they all came back quick --slowest one was seven months I think but I've had two recently come back in just four months, both a Form 1 and a Form 4. No BS, no pictures or fingerprints or begging a cop or DA --it's actually easier to buy a can using a trust than a pistol, barring the wait time. A trust is definitely the way to go, but make sure you get it done from a competent attorney and not a DIY job. While those may work to get you a can or whatever, they may not hold up in court should you find yourself there and that'll be the first time anyone actually goes over your trust with a fine tooth comb, because trust me, the ATF doesn't.

Even my attorney made tiny clerical errors that he had to go back and fix. Things you and I'd never notice, but he did.