• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Trying my first NF

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I have owned the big 4 as far as optics. Leupold (yes, I count them), USO, Premier (briefly, but have a 5-25 coming) and S&B. Have used NF but never owned one.

I completed a trade today for a Sako TRG 22 with a new NightForce 5.5-22x56 zero stop and NP R2 reticle. In my using other peoples NF's, I was not as impressed as most seem to be with them, so it will be nice to use it side by side with S&B and Premiers in similar power ranges. Should have the package by the weekend.

It is an as new Sako TRG 22 Stealth black with phosphate finish. Includes the Sako bipod, Near 20 moa rail and Near muzzle break. The NF is mounted in Seekins rings. I have owned a TRG 42 and LOVED it. Sold it because of my sub 1K range and I felt like it was waste of powder. Am curious to see if the 22 is as well done as the 42.

Hope to have a range report on the rifle and scope this coming weekend

Re: Trying my first NF

I think you will like both the Nightforce and the Sako TRG. I have the Sako TRG42 .300 and a NF scope on it. The only thing I don't like on mine is the Mark 4 high rings to be able to have the 56mm bell on it. I had to order the 10mm spacer piece because I cannot get a good cheek weld. I have thought of getting a TRG 22, however I am still debating because I think I would like to get a GAP. Have fu shooting the Sako TRG 22.

Jamie

I love the TRG's. I had a TRG 42 and sold it due to range limitations and have wanted another ever since. The one I am getting is the Stealth black with Phospahte metal

hydro you'll like it!! The NP-R2 is better suited for hunting than tactical shooting. I have one on a hunting rifle and it rocks!!!

I have plenty of tactical scopes anyway, maybe the R2 will end up on a hunting rifle. Hell, maybe the Stealth TRG will just end up a heavy hunting rifle. Cant be any heavier than my GAP 308, LOL, especially with the 5-25 PMII on it. Heavy beast even with the EDGE A5 stock.

I love mine! Same reticle..5.5-22x50. This is the third one i've owned.I have yet to be dissapointed with em!!

If you get it and dont like it shoot me a pm.

Mine is on GAP 300wsm, A-5, #7 contour, I know what heavy is!!!! lol

I will have to look up the weight of the Sako (Stealth/phosphate) and the NF 5.5-22x56. Curious to see what the package weighs. Maybe I could remove the high dollar Sako bipod and toss a Harris on there and do some deer hunting with the TRG22, from a stand in areas where I have long shots. Would make an interesting deer rifle for sure.

That is some thing I would love to see.
smile.gif

The sako trg is the only high end rifle I have never owned, it is on my list tho.

L.

I have several 12-42BR and just picked up a 5.5-22x50.. interested in your comparison report between your glass.

I have had at trg 42 for three years with a NF 12x42 NSX Np1 RR. I shoot at Quantico and Butner at 1,000 yards. I shot two drywall buckets of BH 190's. I rechambered in 300wsm loaded 210 bergers with RL 17, it shot 4" groups at 1,000 but the barrel died at 800 rounds but it was fun to shoot 210 thicks at over 2800 fps. It is now a 300SAUM with a strait taper 1.25 10 twist.I have the factory triple ring mount and had similar cheek weld issues. I added the folding stock so I could remove the bolt at bench rest matches and much to my surprise the folding stock acts like a tuning fork and calmed the rifle down tremendously.Add a limbsaver butt pad and you can track a 300 wm out and down up to 1,000. I have added a front 3' foot and an aluminum rear rail to set the gun up for F-)pen. It weighs 22lbs now but only recoils 2 inches in the bag. BTW it is a nightmare to remove the factory barrel, I have had my gunsmith make a custom action wrench. The rub is they oversize the barrel treads and gaul it down on the action so it takes tree peple to remove the barrel. SAKO and Barreta will not talk to you so you are on your own it took 4 gunsmiths to find one with the balls to give it a stab! BTW you will love the trg22 , buy a can for it and you will never be the same! I have 4 nightforce scopes and place every time I shoot! Also buy a Tikka T3 with the 24" barrel it weight half as much and will shoot x's all day at 800, it is the best value out of the box, it loves 190 SMK,with 42 grns of RL 15. sorry for the diatribe but I love my TRG!

PS,
I have a 5x22x50 mil dot in NSX on my m25 whitefeather as that is the most scope I could get with the internal come ups needed for 1,000. The 22 VS 42 is like looking through a hotel peep hole vs telescope! It is just as clear though and great in a heavy mirage. Try the night force 20 moa unimount it is better than EGW!