• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Trying to choose a M1A Ebr Optic

NorthernRebel27

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2014
King's Bay, GA
Hello all,

I have a 18" M1A scout in an EBR chassis. So far I've been using a EoTech XPS3 for range trips. While fun, I'm looking to push the rifle out to the 600-800 yard range. As far as I know this range shouldn't be an issue for the rifle but I am stumped on an appropriate optic. I would like to spend no more than $1500 if I can avoid it but I would rather get a quality optic that is going to stand the test of time. All suggestions and advice is appreciated!

I'll take a stab at it. I've got an m1a that I was thinking of ebr'ing and I kept coming back to the nf 2.5-10x32 or a Luepy mk4 mrt. These seem to be good medium range optics. Not to much of a sacrifice on the low end and still able to reach out. Plus theyre smaller & lighter which is good for an ebr I think

I like the look of the nf 2.5-10x32. Though I'm wondering if that will be enough magnification to get the rifle out to 800 yards. You bring up a good point about the weight though. An M1A EBR is not really a light weapon! (That being said I would never put the gun back in its original stock now that if felt the difference with the EBR!

A mk4 3.5-10 would go great on an EBR. 10x is fine for 800, it was issued on the original mk14's.

Last edited:
I'll add another vote toward a Nightforce 2.5-10x. Either the 32mm, or new 42mm would be about a perfect EBR optic, IMO. I like SFP better in this mag range as the reticle is thick enough at the low end to be easily visible. The Vortex 2.5-10x32 is making a lot of guys happy for a great price, with the only complaint I've heard about them is the reticle being really thin at low power and a little hard to pick up without the illumination on.

10x is plenty for 800y if you are shooting steel, if shooting small targets or going for tight groups on paper at long range, you'll want more. In that case, a used Mk 6 3-18x would rock, or a Mk4 4.5-14x M5.

I have always though an IOR spartan 2-12x36 would make a great EBR optic, but its really hard to stray from Nightforce... you always know what you are getting.

I'll add another vote toward a Nightforce 2.5-10x. Either the 32mm, or new 42mm would be about a perfect EBR optic, IMO. I like SFP better in this mag range as the reticle is thick enough at the low end to be easily visible. The Vortex 2.5-10x32 is making a lot of guys happy for a great price, with the only complaint I've heard about them is the reticle being really thin at low power and a little hard to pick up without the illumination on.

10x is plenty for 800y if you are shooting steel, if shooting small targets or going for tight groups on paper at long range, you'll want more. In that case, a used Mk 6 3-18x would rock, or a Mk4 4.5-14x M5.

I have always though an IOR spartan 2-12x36 would make a great EBR optic, but its really hard to stray from Nightforce... you always know what you are getting.

I agree on the small targets or groups at distance, you'll want more power.
The leupolds that came on the mk14 mod 0 had 1moa clicks for elevation (I think would be great for steel too) The EBR was a weighted 1.5 moa rifle. So, if I was going to put an optic on such a rifle, I'd try and keep the optic matched up for the intended use and capability (ammo factored in too) of the rifle. I wouldn't want to drop a ton of Money on an optic that has much more capability than the rifle was ever intended for.
If your optic is too good, you'll see all your mistakes on the paper and you'll just get aggravated!lol
That's why I want to mount 6x acogs or m145 elcans on ours, harder to break and it gives me an alibi!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Leupold and Nightforce are around the same quality. Maybe give a bit of an edge to Nightforce. If they are comparable then wouldn't it make more sense to go with the Mk4 3.5-10 over the Nightforce 2.5x10 because it would gather more light? I'm willing to sacrifice weight here as this is primarily a target gun and will be sitting on a Harris bipod

They both make good optics and they are both great companies. It really comes down to preference, both have their haters and fanboys, you can't go "wrong" with either. I would imagine that the larger objective would gather more light, but I'm not sure. I do believe that's the reason the NF 2.5-10x24 isn't around any longer, awesome scope but the shooters wanted larger objectives.

The new Nightforce 2.5-10x42 should trump all previous gen NXS Nightforces in lowlight (exit pupil being the same) due to improved coatings and refinements. The digillum system is very nice, it should be an outstanding compact low light scope.

The Mk4 won't necessarily do better in lowlight, even with larger objectives. Coatings play a major role, and the Mk4 is getting dated, though still a good overall scope. Nightforce is definitely a better value, IMO.. Unless you can get a Leupy on the Leo/mil pricing. You'd only want to entertain the mil/mil offerings, IMO.

Overall, in your shoes, I can't think of an Optic for an EBR I'd rather have than the '42' Nightforce. Then the '32', then a Mk4, then a PST '32'. Just my own personal thinking how I'd rank em.

One other that could (will) make a splash for spr/EBR type scopes is the brand new Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44. It has a Gap-spec'd reticle and some really nice features. Check it out for sure, price will be under $1500. It looks to be a serous contender.

I think what I'm hearing overall is that Nightforce paces the competition in terms of quality and value. I think I'll go with Nightforce and move forward from there. Not sure exactly what I'll end up with. But I appreciate the advice and guidance!

I use a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 on my m1a ebr.

I'll take a stab at it. I've got an m1a that I was thinking of ebr'ing and I kept coming back to the nf 2.5-10x32 or a Luepy mk4 mrt. These seem to be good medium range optics. Not to much of a sacrifice on the low end and still able to reach out. Plus theyre smaller & lighter which is good for an ebr I think

I have the nf and I'm not crazy for the range it covers the reticle is too thin for close shots quickly

I just built an EBR and used the Pride Fowler RR900 which was designed for the EBR. So far I am very happy with it.