• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Trying to decide between Nightforce ATACR or Vortex Razor 4.5 X 27 X 56 Gen 2

wyolonghunter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2013
Sheridan, Wyoming
This is my first post, let me say that I am very impressed by the volume of great material and experience on this site! I am having a gun built and won't get my hands on it until Sept. 300. Norma Mag., Benchmark barrel, Manners T4A stock, Defiance action, jewell trigger. I am trying decide between the 2 scopes mentioned, I would add the Beast but sounds unlikely that I can get one before 2015. I have read all the threads and reviews on this site about each scope. I have an NXS 5.5 X 22 and love it. Any input is greatly appreciated!

You are comparing a SFP and FFP scope. You need to figure which will work best for your use and go from there.

I have zero exposure to FFP. I have read everything on the Hide site about SFP vs FFP. I think either will work for me. I am more concerned about durability, tracking, optical quality. I guess my underlying question is: Is vortex really comparable to nightforce in all respects. I figured maybe with the wealth of knowledge on this site I could get some advice.

I have zero exposure to FFP. I have read everything on the Hide site about SFP vs FFP. I think either will work for me. I am more concerned about durability, tracking, optical quality. I guess my underlying question is: Is vortex really comparable to nightforce in all respects. I figured maybe with the wealth of knowledge on this site I could get some advice.

I have used and owned many optics from S&B, Hensoldt, NF, etc etc and after seeing the new Vortex in person at SHOT I sold my S&B 3-20x and put two on preorder. If you want a FFP scope then the Vortex Razor II 4.5-27 would be an excellent choice. Vortex has a solid reputation with their Razor line of scopes. That scope has been in development for a couple years so it will come to market ready to go.

The NF ATACR is also an excellent scope in the SFP realm. I am sure it will serve you well with the reports of happy customers here on the Hide and NF's reputation. I have never used one though.

It all comes down to what you want in features in the scope. Only you can decide what works for you. You have picked two excellent choices.

It all comes down to what you want in features in the scope. Only you can decide what works for you. You have picked two excellent choices.

Thats good advice. Personally, for a bench rifle, mychoice would be the vortex, has all the features you would need or would want. Now, if you said a LR hunting stick, the 10 less oz. on the ATACR would make my decision.

Trevor B.

Rob, That's quite an endorsement! I have been on the fence on the Gen 2 Razor because of weight and not having seen one in person yet. I may have to reconsider, thanks for the input.

Rob, Thanks so much for your unbiased input! I really appreciate it. I am leaning towards the Razor as my long range mentor is a huge Vortex fan too. The features are truly impressive, would you say the glass is close to or as good as the ATACR?

I have both FFP and SFP optics, use both with great frequency and have no issues bouncing back and fourth. It is 100% about training but agree FFP easier for some shooting applications. As far as the above I have the ATACR and it is by far my favorite optic, and I have both March 2.5-25 and the 3-24 (FFP) so for "me" the ATACR is "my" best scope. However, I am also going to pick up the Gen 2 Razor in FFP/MIL and I really liked my Razor Gen 1. Only reason I flipped it was for a second March but I can't resist all the Vortex put into the Gen 2 and... well just gotta have one.

So, as Rob said it comes down to YOU, your shooting style and preference. You will get a lot of "get this" and "get that" with valid reasons for both, but pick one and go for it. Nice think about both is there is very little loss in ownership. You can pick up the ATACR for $2100, use it for 6 months and flip it for $1900 so your total investment would be $200. Then that that and get the Razor. So bottom like, there is really no wrong way to go.

Sully

Sully, Thanks for your input! This site rocks! it is by far the best place to learn from accomplished, technical shooters! I have learned a lot already from reading forum posts on different subjects.

Doug

I agree that SFP on the ATacr is a deal breaker for me, although the Gen IIs are quite heavy.