• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to decide between the 375ct and the 408ct..

captjordan

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2005
Houston, TX
Trying to decide between the 375ct and the 408ct.......convince me!!!

I know some of the pros and cons.........you tell me your experiences.
thx
jordan

Re: Trying to decide between the 375ct and the 408ct..

My goals are mainly steel......300-2k yards. But, occasionally I may like to take on a flesh target. Elk, etc. I know there are a lot more bullet choices with the 375ct, but it seems the 408ct edges it out in the ballistic category. Not to mention, the 408ct seems to be more expensive component-wise. What are ya'lls experiences with both.........really looking to hear from someone who has owned and shot both, to save me the trouble of having to try both to decide.....

The 408 does not edge out the 375 in ballistics.(you gain about 500 yards plus supersonic with the 375-with hookers) The cost is very similar to shoot each.You will gain some barrel life in the 408 but the 375 beats it in about everything else.

I figured barrel life would be in the neighborhood of 1000rds, and still keeping near .5moa accuracy....

Later used to have a link to his website of www.longrangeresearch.com which is apparently down right now. Anyhow, I have checked the ballistics of the 375 vs.the 408, .50 cal, 300 WM, and several others there. 375 bests all of them in the longer ranges.

Yes I am in midst of changing a few things with way and how the site is setup. It will return shortly.

As mentioned already..the 375/408 trumps everything else out there right now.

Thanks

I'm leaning 375 now.......can't wait to see your site Later, post a link if ya can. And when you say 375/408, are you saying both calibers, or 375(parent cart. 408)?
thx
jordan

If I go .375......what is the current twist rate guys are finding works best with which bullet combo?

thx
jordan

only the 375 , I had one and due to no where to shoot 2000 yds let it go . man it was nice and would be an Elk stacker in the mountains there you could take them at 1500 easy

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trying to decide between the 375ct and the 408ct.......convince me!!!

I know some of the pros and cons.........you tell me your experiences.
thx
jordan
</div></div>

Wait for the Desert Tactical Arms HTI Rifle to come out and then you can have both Calibers in one Weapon. I am pretty sure they are considering making it in a .50BMG .408CT and .375CT Kit which will make it pretty much the best Big Caliber Weapon on the market.. Look all the way at the bottom of the page at the link below!!

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/firearms

I'm definitely going 375 now.......now to decide on a Desert Tactical Arms HTI Rifle, Lawton 8000, windrunner, or a Stiller/shilen/Mcmillan combination........either way it will be $4-7k before optics. That DTA does look pretty nice. I was afraid of the bolt manipulation speed, until I saw that video....nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm definitely going 375 now.......now to decide on a Desert Tactical Arms HTI Rifle, Lawton 8000, windrunner, or a Stiller/shilen/Mcmillan combination........either way it will be $4-7k before optics. That DTA does look pretty nice. I was afraid of the bolt manipulation speed, until I saw that video....nice.
</div></div>

I can promise you the DTA is about as unique and functional as you can get. The benefit with DTA is that just because they are only releasing 4 Caliber Conversions right now chances are they will more than likely have many more to choose from over the next few years.

We shoot them allot and with the ease of cal swapping it has become on of my favorites. Its worth the $ just to know that I can have potentially 4-6 different rounds out of 1 weapon. I do know that DTA will consider making additional caliber kits if you request them and they can sell enough to make the effort pay off.

DTA all the WAY!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured barrel life would be in the neighborhood of 1000rds, and still keeping near .5moa accuracy.... </div></div>

Did someone in the know tell you 1K barrel life, because that is BS. Later would know, but 2-3K seems more reasonable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cpl Snafu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured barrel life would be in the neighborhood of 1000rds, and still keeping near .5moa accuracy.... </div></div>

Did someone in the know tell you 1K barrel life, because that is BS. Later would know, but 2-3K seems more reasonable. </div></div>

I 2nd that... 1k is really low... 2-3k or more is reasonable but I'm sure Later can expound a bit on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can promise you the DTA is about as unique and functional as you can get. </div></div>

Hey and they have a pretty knowledgeable R&D department in regards to ELR/HTI stuff.

OK here is my take on the dreaded barrel life question..this question always comes up and you always get a dozen different replies (Most of the replies are wild ass assumptions).

What must be asked before being able to give the "generic" answer of how many rounds is this...What distance and accuracy standards do you plan on shooting the system? I can already hear people saying to themselves "what does that matter for round count". Well I will attempt to answer lol.

Reason I say you must know what distance you plan on shooting the system is because that depicts how accurate the "shooter" is going to be in the "environmental" conditions, because you reach a distance point that inherit system accuracy is vetoed by shooters ability to understand the environmental element. That point is as different for every shooter as is every barrel round count different.

Examples of above:
If you plan to shoot 200-1000m for 90% of your time then your barrel will last about 2750-3500 rounds IF you are going for .5-.75moa standards.
If you plan to shoot 200-1000m for 90% of your time then your barrel will last about 1500-2500 rounds IF you are going for strictly .5moa standards.
If you plan to shoot 1000-2000m for 90% of your time then your barrel will last about 3000-3500 rounds IF you are going for .75-1.25moa standards.
If you plan to shoot 1500-2500m for 90% of your time then your barrel will last about 3000-4000 rounds IF you are going for 1-1.5moa standards.
You get the idea lol

Thanks

You know how long it would take to shoot 1,500 rounds of .375? Dang that is let me see $3 a round times 1500= $4,500 worth of ammo! really who give a dang about barrel wear you would be a hero to get that much range time behind that stick. I would go .375

Does NOT take near as long as you may think
smile.gif

Re: Trying to decide between the 375ct and the 408

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does NOT take near as long as you may think
smile.gif

</div></div>

Thats very true....
I bought a M40A3 rifle out of Quantico and said "ahh I wont shoot it that much" well one year later I've got to 5,000 rounds on it (give or take a few). still shoots great though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does NOT take near as long as you may think
smile.gif

</div></div>

Thats very true....
I bought a M40A3 rifle out of Quantico and said "ahh I wont shoot it that much" well one year later I've got to 5,000 rounds on it (give or take a few). still shoots great though. </div></div>

Wow! That's Horrible. I would be glad to take that worthless piece of crap off your hands seeing as the Barrel is Burnt to hell!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can promise you the DTA is about as unique and functional as you can get. </div></div>

Hey and they have a pretty knowledgeable R&D department in regards to ELR/HTI stuff.

OK here is my take on the dreaded barrel life question..this question always comes up and you always get a dozen different replies (Most of the replies are wild ass assumptions).

What must be asked before being able to give the "generic" answer of how many rounds is this...What distance and accuracy standards do you plan on shooting the system? I can already hear people saying to themselves "what does that matter for round count". Well I will attempt to answer lol.

Reason I say you must know what distance you plan on shooting the system is because that depicts how accurate the "shooter" is going to be in the "environmental" conditions, because you reach a distance point that inherit system accuracy is vetoed by shooters ability to understand the environmental element. That point is as different for every shooter as is every barrel round count different.

Examples of above:
If you plan to shoot 200-1000m for 90% of your time then your barrel will last about 2750-3500 rounds IF you are going for .5-.75moa standards.
If you plan to shoot 200-1000m for 90% of your time then your barrel will last about 1500-2500 rounds IF you are going for strictly .5moa standards.
If you plan to shoot 1000-2000m for 90% of your time then your barrel will last about 3000-3500 rounds IF you are going for .75-1.25moa standards.
If you plan to shoot 1500-2500m for 90% of your time then your barrel will last about 3000-4000 rounds IF you are going for 1-1.5moa standards.
You get the idea lol

Thanks </div></div>

Is that with or without a Frozen Scope? LOL
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does NOT take near as long as you may think
smile.gif

</div></div>

Thats very true....
I bought a M40A3 rifle out of Quantico and said "ahh I wont shoot it that much" well one year later I've got to 5,000 rounds on it (give or take a few). still shoots great though. </div></div>

Man that isn't even in same comparison league
smile.gif
by comparing how many .308 rounds add up fast compared to the .375 and such.
The more appropriate comparison would been you listing how many rounds you have down your BMG, 338XT, 375, or 408 and such.

That comparison is like me attempting to tell a 338LM shooter that it doesn't take long to reach "x" amount of rounds because I shoot "y" rounds a year thru my G17 or G36 lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
mad.gif
</div></div>

Not even going there
smile.gif
When my scope and camera arriving?

from what I've read and asked people about, the 375 seems to be a great round. I have a Cheytac based 338 (because I had to be different) Man is it fun to shoot. So don't worry too much about barrel life, you're not pushing 3500fps
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does NOT take near as long as you may think
smile.gif

</div></div>

Thats very true....

Man that isn't even in same comparison league
smile.gif
by comparing how many .308 rounds add up fast compared to the .375 and such.
The more appropriate comparison would been you listing how many rounds you have down your BMG, 338XT, 375, or 408 and such.

That comparison is like me attempting to tell a 338LM shooter that it doesn't take long to reach "x" amount of rounds because I shoot "y" rounds a year thru my G17 or G36 lol

mad.gif
</div></div>

Not even going there
smile.gif
When my scope and camera arriving? </div></div>

Got the camera back this week and the March 2.5 - 25 is going to go along with it. DON'T BLOW MY SCOPE UP!!!

SWEET! I can't wait to play with the March scope, I'll make sure Later doesn't freeze it.
smile.gif

Got the camera back this week and the March 2.5 - 25 is going to go along with it. DON'T BLOW MY SCOPE UP!!! </div></div>

Man you canNOT put restrictions on how, what, where, when, why, etc on my "playing" with scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Got the camera back this week and the March 2.5 - 25 is going to go along with it. DON'T BLOW MY SCOPE UP!!! </div></div>

Man you canNOT put restrictions on how, what, where, when, why, etc on my "playing" with scope.

</div></div>

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWEET! I can't wait to play with the March scope, I'll make sure Later doesn't freeze it.
smile.gif
</div></div>

OH Boy... This thread is going downhill fast. Maybe someone should lock or maybe even FREEZE this topic for prosperity..

LMFAO!!!

Just get a M-96 Windrunner receiver in .408 all you will need is a barrel for the .375 same bolt can be used for both.

If Bill is not running .375 contact Lawton they might run one for you that will drop in.

Go for both and later on if you want add 338LM, .416Barret, .50 BMG, 510DTC all on the same receiver.

I did a .408 and .338 combo.

Bill will do it for you if you buy the reamers and head space gauges.

wow had no idea, and i know kyshooter is trying to sell this right now. I have one of the rifles but i got it from a gunshop in texas. so i have not had any dealings with the owner of the company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: torch338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow had no idea, and i know kyshooter is trying to sell this right now. I have one of the rifles but i got it from a gunshop in texas. so i have not had any dealings with the owner of the company. </div></div>

This Xtreme Fella is a complete liar and Thief. I was at the ASC match in West Virginia last year and Xtreme was there with a .338Xtreme on display during the Saturday Evening Dinner and Prize Drawing.

I was intrigued by the round versus the weapon but i did ask a few questions. This is where it got interesting. I asked who made the stock for it and he replied that they manufactured it completely in house! I then asked who made the hinge and he replied that it was also made in house. I responded with a "That's Interesting". I then mentioned that it looked 100% identical to the 2 stocks that I had from McRee Precision and that even the hinge was identical. He got all flustered and responded that his was far superior and completely different.

At that point it started getting pretty heated because I happened to have about 16 photos of my stocks and pulled them up on my cell to make comparisons! He didn't see me doing this until there were about 5 or 6 people standing around me looking at the photos and making the comparison. He got pissed and told me to back off. I did as he asked but not before getting 2 photos on my Blackberry and sent them over to Scott for his opinion.

Within about 15 min Scott replied that it was ABSOLUTELY his stock system and as a matter of fact it was the one he had sent them to "Mock Up" because they approached him and wanted to only put their weapon into his stocks. He then went on to say that they had tried to order just the Folding Mechanism through a 3rd party but he refused.

So not only is Xtreme Full of Sh*T they have claimed to manufacturer stocks that were supplied by Scott McRee and they are also now building stocks that are 100% identical to McRee after they reversed Engineered the McRee stock to run them in house.

Needless to say, when I showed the Xtreme guy Scott's reply and also the photos of the stock he had sent Xtreme that weapon disappeared into its case and went straight to his truck not to be seen again.

In short! BEWARE of XTREME as they don't mind copying other peoples products and then claim that its theirs...

Here are a couple more from a different board

"Do any of you fella's have any luck dealing with Xtreme Machine out of Grassflat Pa.?

September of 2008 I ordered an action and brake from them to build a new match gun. 6 week delivery time. Action $1800, $275 brake. $25 shipping. So I just paid it and sent an FFL right away, still have the recepts from the money orders.

A few phone calls along the way and alwayse the same 2 week story. Well I got an action in November or so of 2009, not bad for a 6 week time frame. No brake, called to try and get the brake or see if it was in a seperate shipment. Nope, must have been a confusion but would get made and go out right away. To date, no brake, been a few phone calls in the mean time.

Now I'm a patient person and I hope that the shop is that busy and life is good, but I'm going on a year and a half and would like the get on with the project, get the rest of the order or get a check in the mail for $275 with a note saying find another brake.

The action is a verry nice piece of work no doubt. I'm guilty of takeing to much time to get some projects done myself but they do get done. I don't mind waiting but at what time do I get fustrated?

I'll try to call again tomorrow and listen to whatever I'm told I suppose. No real purpose to this post other than to vent a bit. I went with the Xtreme action, as it's of great quality, some features I like and I didn't want to wait the many months for the McMillan headscratch.gif "

and this one

"#@#%%%# won an Xtreme action at the WC in 2008 and have yet to see it. Called several times only to hear " in a couple of weeks". At least we don't have any money into it."

As you can see he's got a stellar reputation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: torch338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 338xt is worth looking at, here is a link

http://www.xtrememachining.biz/products_338xtreme.html </div></div>

Lets imagine for an instant the Xtreme douche was a good reputable person...the 338XT is not even in same league as the 408 and 375. That is like someone asking about 338LM and being told about a 308
smile.gif

Thanks

I didn't see his name mentioned here yet, but Kirby Allen builds several wildcats on the 408 platform 338, 375, and 410. Cinch has one of the 375's due in shortly. His 338 has been around for several years now and has a well established reputation, but is hard on barrels.

That is major league "F'D" up. Steal a guys design and claim it as your own maybe worse by taking a guys stock and saying you made it as a production run

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: torch338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow had no idea, and i know kyshooter is trying to sell this right now. I have one of the rifles but i got it from a gunshop in texas. so i have not had any dealings with the owner of the company. </div></div>

This Xtreme Fella is a complete liar and Thief. I was at the ASC match in West Virginia last year and Xtreme was there with a .338Xtreme on display during the Saturday Evening Dinner and Prize Drawing.

I was intrigued by the round versus the weapon but i did ask a few questions. This is where it got interesting. I asked who made the stock for it and he replied that they manufactured it completely in house! I then asked who made the hinge and he replied that it was also made in house. I responded with a "That's Interesting". I then mentioned that it looked 100% identical to the 2 stocks that I had from McRee Precision and that even the hinge was identical. He got all flustered and responded that his was far superior and completely different.

At that point it started getting pretty heated because I happened to have about 16 photos of my stocks and pulled them up on my cell to make comparisons! He didn't see me doing this until there were about 5 or 6 people standing around me looking at the photos and making the comparison. He got pissed and told me to back off. I did as he asked but not before getting 2 photos on my Blackberry and sent them over to Scott for his opinion.

Within about 15 min Scott replied that it was ABSOLUTELY his stock system and as a matter of fact it was the one he had sent them to "Mock Up" because they approached him and wanted to only put their weapon into his stocks. He then went on to say that they had tried to order just the Folding Mechanism through a 3rd party but he refused.

So not only is Xtreme Full of Sh*T they have claimed to manufacturer stocks that were supplied by Scott McRee and they are also now building stocks that are 100% identical to McRee after they reversed Engineered the McRee stock to run them in house.

Needless to say, when I showed the Xtreme guy Scott's reply and also the photos of the stock he had sent Xtreme that weapon disappeared into its case and went straight to his truck not to be seen again.

In short! BEWARE of XTREME as they don't mind copying other peoples products and then claim that its theirs...</div></div>

I heard Dean is now working for Xtreme now..........(kidding)

He is making the stock hinges as part of a group buy
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard Dean is now working for Xtreme now..........(kidding)</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is making the stock hinges as part of a group buy
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard Dean is now working for Xtreme now..........(kidding)</div></div> </div></div>

LMAO

I did a lot of research on the CheyTac round before I had one built. From my research, the .375 is a superior round. If you are building a new rifle, get a .375. If you can get a deal on a .408, get the .408. They are both excellent rounds. Kind of pricey to shoot, but when you pull the trigger and get on the paper at 2000 yards, you'll forget all about the cost.

Dont forget about the 338/408. This is one bad boy and it dont break the bank to shoot. The Jamisom brass is around 2.50 ea. and 20 loads per case is do-able. Cost of brass is a non-issue, stuff in the 300 SMK and the only difference in shooting this round compared with the Lapua or Edge is the extra powder ( and barrels ). I think this rd will be manageable in an 11 lb. rifle. I am building one now. The one I have now weighs 15 lbs plus the US Optics SN3. The whole outfit tips the scale at 18 lbs and recoil is very mild. I can easily spot my own hits. Ive noticed it dont take but one rd. per day to make me happy, just range the target, do the calculations, watch crap fly everywhere, listen to the loud whallop, grin, pick up my stuff and go to the house. There are also some very nice banded solids just around the corner that will sho-nuff make it meaner than it already is.