• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to decide...Build another AR or buy a Garand?

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I've got a complete lower and two stripped lowers that need to be finished. Not sure what caliber. I'd love to do a 6.5 Grendel but the 5.56 may make more sense.

But I've always wanted a Garand. Hard to argue with 8 rounds of '06 on tap.

Any thoughts?

Buy a Garand. You will not be disappointed. Every man woman and baby in America should own a Garand and a 1911.

M1 Garand no question...got this SA 5.9 million beauty from the CMP in 2003.:cool:

2ngy4hh.jpg

o0s4y9.jpg

As you might guess from my screen name... My feeling is you need a Garand.

If you don't have one, you are really missing out. Aside from the historical aspect and all that, they are a joy to shoot and you won't be looking for a ton of accessories to add to it because there simply aren't any. It's also an -06, which isn't as sexy as a 6.5 Grendel with detachable mags, but you will be able to find the ammo anywhere and no one argues that it packs a punch. And the Garand is a hell of a lot stronger built than any AR you will find. Don't get me wrong, AR's are great guns - accurate as all get out and the design is genius, but they are not built out of forged steel like an M1 or an M14. The Garand is a true battle rifle.

M1Amen

I also have a couple builds I would like to do soon that I already have lowers for. Also a TBAC can that needs bought.. But dog gone it I need to pick up a Garand before they become price prohibitive.

I had an older garand redone by fulton armory and I like shooting it more than my 12 other rifles

Well then, it looks like I need to get a Garand. I live near CMP South. I think I'll drive over.

I'll probably hunt with mine. May shoot a Garand Match or two.

I'll post another thread on the choices available.

Thanks,

Paul

Well then, it looks like I need to get a Garand. I live near CMP South. I think I'll drive over.

I'll probably hunt with mine. May shoot a Garand Match or two.

I'll post another thread on the choices available.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,
You won't regret it. I bought one in February from another Hide member, and It was love at first sight, which feeling only deepened many times during the first range session. Should have gotten it many years ago....

I've had a bug out to get a Garand as well for a while now. I love M1a's but would really enjoy getting a Garand to try out. CMP has ran nearly depleted from what they had a while ago but it looks like the CMP Special is a good deal to get for a shooter. Any thoughts on that from anyone?

Rifle Sales - M1 Garand