• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Trying to decide on auto 22LR pistol

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I have been debating about picking up an auto 22LR pistol, but can't decide on one. What are ya'lls recommendations (i.e. make/model)? Something around $500 or less.

Any of these...the good...the bad:

- Ruger SR22
- Sig Sauer 1911-22
- Sig Sauer Misquito
- Browning 1911
- Walther P22
- S&W 22A
- S&W MP22
- Browning Buckmark Micro Bull
- Ruger MarkIII 22/45 (Gander Mt. exclusive comes with Bushnell Red Dot)

Re: Trying to decide on auto 22LR pistol

Ive got a Browning Buckmark. Not sure of exactly which model, but its a great little gun. Highly recommended.

I have a MK III 22/45 and its a great pistol. Accurate, reliable, and aftermarket parts available if you want to upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- Ruger MarkIII 22/45 (Gander Mt. exclusive comes with Bushnell Red Dot)</div></div>

I have some good target pistols (bullseye) but wanted one to shoot some mouse gun action style matches. Heard good things about the Ruger so I bought a M III 22/45.

I'm quite impressed. Reliable and Accurate. Bought a bunch of magazines and had a couple malfunctions. I traced it to one of my mags so I tossed it. Hadn't had a provlem since.

Don't seem as picky on ammo as my other target 22s.

Didn't get mine a gander mt. so I had to by my red dot seperate. I don't think you'll go wrong with the Rugher.

Seen a lot of them at bullseye matches and they seem to hold their own.

For the money I think its the best 22 semi auto out there.

If you've got the $$, consider a Smith model 41. It is a dandy little 22.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a buckmark or Ruger mark.

Personally, I don't care for the current fad of 22 automatics styled after popular centerfire pistols. While the ergonomics are good, function is spotty at best, and the lack of recoil makes it a poor "simulation" of its bigger brother anyway.

Meanwhile, the hop up parts, accessories and magazines for the buckmark and ruger will always be there.

I'm very happy with my Buckmark

buy one made outa steel......not plastic..... I`d buy used semi.local if you can.....
ruger
H-S
Brwn.

Find an old High Standard. I bought mine for $300. It was made in 1951. Drives nails and extremely good quality.

22/45
/thread
laugh.gif

Another 22/45 fan here. It does everything I need it too. New shooters are not intimidated like with a centerfire, older shooters find it accurate and fun.

And get the Ultimate Clip Loader... Works for the Buckmark too.

I owned a number of different models of the Ruger .22 pistols for many years and shot them all a great deal. I purchased and fired a Browning Buckmark and will never use a Ruger again. Nothing wrong with the Ruger but it does not compare with the balance of feel of the Browning.

Good luck with your decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thebolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned a number of different models of the Ruger .22 pistols for many years and shot them all a great deal. I purchased and fired a Browning Buckmark and will never use a Ruger again. Nothing wrong with the Ruger but it does not compare with the balance of feel of the Browning.

Good luck with your decision.</div></div>

What he said!!!

I have a ruger 22/45 and a Sig trailside, love both of them. Right now the ruger gets more rounds because it is new. The sig feels amazing and is very fun to shoot. Prices on it are getting high, I picked mine up about 10 years ago when they were still pretty reasonable.

Never shot a buckmark but they seem great also.

22/45. Go for one with a threaded barrel. They are a pretty nice little gun to have a can on. Whatever you do, don't get a Mosquito.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WeaselWalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22/45. Go for one with a threaded barrel. They are a pretty nice little gun to have a can on. Whatever you do, don't get a Mosquito. </div></div>

That would be the 22/45 Lite and they are basically a lightened up mark 3 as they have all the same internals except an aluminum upper on the lite. TBAC 22L-1 threads right on and works great.

photojul10171405.jpg

I only own a colt woodsman and a high standard model B. Both great if you like the old ones.

I can only speak of the ones I've owned and had first hand extensive experience. The Ruger mk series you can't go wrong with.

Also the m&p22 is amazing. It shoots anything I put through it like the ruger and everyone that shoots it buys one or wants one. My brother bought one after shooting mine and likes it better than his Walter p22. A few friends that shot it all bought one or are saving for one. It also works great with my suppressor.

Avoid the sig mosquito mine was horribly ammo finicky there was only two types of ammo that was reliable in it.

My brother said the same of his p22 that its ammo finicky.

The older Ruger Mk II's are very nice. The Mk III's are value engineered and lawyered up.

The Ruger Mk II is a good option for all around. They are very easy to work on, so you won't have trouble finding a smith if something goes wrong. Accuracy is very good. Like 1911's, reliability issues are based mainly on magazine issues. Magazines are widely available. This is also the cheapest of High Standard, S&W 41, and Ruger Mk II/III.

High Standards are awesome, but they are highly complex. It will be difficult to find smiths that know them well. Magazines are very very hard to find. The new High Standard based in Houston makes mags, but they aren't the same as the old ones. I think they can be worked over to work.

The S&M Model 41 is a good one. It doesn't have the issues of the High Standard. It is an expensive option.

I'm currently in the market for a 22/45..had a mkIII and didn't care for the grip angle. Other than that, it was a nice pistol. I had a p22 and found it to be VERY picky about ammo so it went the way of the buffalo as well. Something else to consider would be a ruger single six....tons of fun to play with the SA revolvers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive got a Browning Buckmark. Not sure of exactly which model, but its a great little gun. Highly recommended.</div></div>

Best buy out there, IMO.

+1 browning Buckmark