• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to find 1/2-24 socket head screws for action and can't.

rooneyrc

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2022
Lompoc, CA
I'm trying to replace Browning Abolt-2 slotted screws with a torn or hex head socket screw. Browning says the thread pitch is 1/2"-24. I can find screws with this dimension anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. I thought about seeing if a machine shop could make me some but assume that would cost more than it's worth. Thanks

Have an Ace hardware locally? They usually have all kinds of crazy bolts and screws.

1/2” action screws, fuck that’s beefy. 😂

How does every guy not have several of these lying around?

screw checkr.jpg
metric.jpg

I talked to another person at Browning and got this answer. 10-24 rear and for pre 1998 Abolts/Abolt-II's the front was 1/4" x 20 and for post 1998 Abolts/Abolt-II's was 1/4" x 28. However when I tried screws this size on a 2007 Abolt-2 the 10-24 didn't work. It was like talking to the DMV dealing with Browning.

Go to Fastenal. Bring your action with you, but leave it in your truck.

LEAVE THE ACTION IN YOUR TRUCK.

Go in the store, tell them you need to use the thread gauges on something big and it’s in your truck.

Go out to your truck, figure out the thread size, go back in store and buy your bolts.

Reactions: Mr. Z