• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing trying to help my friend find a safari rifle

B

boomer81

ive never been on safari i have a older friend who is going on one. and we are looking at sakos in 458 win mag 416 rem and 416 rigby. but have ruled out the 416 rigby cause the rifle cost twice as much and the ammo does as well. he's taking a 300 win for plains game. he's wanting this for the big stuff. and they won't let him use his 338lap and he wants somthing bigger than a 375. so what would you guys do. thanks to all

Not speaking from experience.

Savage lists 3 rifles that are chambered in .375 Ruger. This modern cartridge is designed to outperform the .375 H+H. Hornady DGX Superformance 300gr loads deliver well over 4500 ft-lb of muzzle energy.

The Savage Model 116 Alaskan Brush Hunter is a 20" stainless with a synthetic stock, 3+1 internal magazine, LPA adjustable sights, a synthetic stock and the Accu-Trigger. List price is $739.

Greg

Last edited:
How about contacting his outfitter/guide and getting his recommendations. Bet he knows more about what would work better then we do.

Got a no 1 Ruger tropical in 375 h&h that a lot of the guides seems to admire that I will be parting with soon if you are in need

ive never been on safari i have a older friend who is going on one. and we are looking at sakos in 458 win mag 416 rem and 416 rigby. but have ruled out the 416 rigby cause the rifle cost twice as much and the ammo does as well. he's taking a 300 win for plains game. he's wanting this for the big stuff. and they won't let him use his 338lap and he wants somthing bigger than a 375. so what would you guys do. thanks to all

You don't mention what "big stuff" but since they won't let him use a 338 Lapua Magnum, I would presume it's dangerous game. You don't mention a budget but since he's worried about ammo cost, I would presume he doesn't want to spend a lot. The range at which shot will be taken is also a factor but for dangerous game, the ranges aren't usually that far.

Some to consider:

1. A CZ 550 Safari Magnum. They're a little less pricey than others and shoot well. Some may need a little gunsmith tweaking to feed as smoothly as some like.

2. A Blaser R 8. Out of the box the trigger will be perfect, feeding will be perfect and accuracy exceptional. Since the barrel can be dismounted, one can get a rifle, 2 barrels and a scope in one gun case that meets airline rules for standard baggage which can save a bit of money.

Kimber, ruger in 458 Lott.
Ruger in 416 ruger
Montana Rifle Company in just about any caliber you want.