• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Trying to narrow down my suppressor choice...

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Sorry for the redundancy, this has been discussed before ad naseaum, and I apologize in advance. I just feel I need to discuss this just a bit more before I make a decision.

So I have narrowed it down to four suppressors. Per my other thread, all options are .30 cal, thread on, titanium suppressors. I live up in the middle of no-where (Maine) so chances are, I won't be able to hear any of them.

Choices are as follows:

1.) Shark: 8.5x1.5, 14.7 ounces. Price is $1350

2.) Thunder Beast 30p-1: can't seem to get the site to pull up the specs right now, but it is $1095, and weight and size are comparable, off of memory.

3.) SAS Arbiter: 9x1.5, ~13 ounces. Price is $795

4.) AAC Cyclone: 9.5x1.5, ~22.4 ounces. Price is $875, don't think this one is titanium though. Probably disqualified due to weight, but I threw this in there anyhow.

From my research, all of these are available in 18x1.5 AI threading, (which was a disqualifier for the SRT can,) and all of them have similar features. The Shark can be disassembled, but from what I know, this is not essential.

I don't mind spending a little extra to get a little extra, but at the same time, the SAS cans seem to get a great review. I'm certainly not afraid to spend a little extra to get a little extra, but I don't want to spend unnecessarily either.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

-Bob

Edit- I didn't include the Gemtech Sandstorm because of Lowlight's first round shift issues, but it does fit the bill otherwise. It is 7.8x1.5, 13.3 ounces, and $1150. I guess it's not entirely out of the running.

Re: Trying to narrow down my suppressor choice...

I don't think you will be wrong on any of those that you listed. Even the Gemtech would be a good choice. If you read further into it, the suppressor has stopped shifting.

I would say Shark for the flexibility of swapping out the modular thread adapter for other rifles. I mean unless you are 100% sure you will only have AI rifles or only want to suppress your AI...

-pd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think you will be wrong on any of those that you listed. Even the Gemtech would be a good choice. If you read further into it, the suppressor has stopped shifting. </div></div>Oh, good to know! I had read a few threads that he has posted in, and hadn't seen the update yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say Shark for the flexibility of swapping out the modular thread adapter for other rifles. I mean unless you are 100% sure you will only have AI rifles or only want to suppress your AI...

-pd

</div></div>Nice feature, I agree.

I AM leaning towards a SAS can, because they seem like a really good value. Word on the street is, that Accuracy International North America is using SAS cans. I can't believe they would if it were a compromise.

The Shark can would be nice to be able to change the back plate to be able to thread it on a different rifle, but by the time I buy the can ($1350) and the back plate ($150) I would almost be able to buy an entirely different suppressor for the other purpose.

I have the SAS can you want instock. PM sent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I AM leaning towards a SAS can, because they seem like a really good value. Word on the street is, that Accuracy International North America is using SAS cans. I can't believe they would if it were a compromise.

The Shark can would be nice to be able to change the back plate to be able to thread it on a different rifle, but by the time I buy the can ($1350) and the back plate ($150) I would almost be able to buy an entirely different suppressor for the other purpose.

</div></div>

Ask Stacey Blankenship here on the Hide from Accuracy International North America.
AI did a very extensive test of the SAS suppressors.
He may be able to shed some light on the performance of the SAS cans.

Just emailed AI. Which did you go with again, Cheese? And are you happy with it?

I have a Thunderbeast AI can and am well pleased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just emailed AI. Which did you go with again, Cheese? And are you happy with it? </div></div>

I have two SAS cans. One is the .30 cal Arbitor, the other is a .338 can.
Both are very high quality, extremely quiet and have a very repeatable minimal ( sub minute) POI shift. Don't let the price fool you. SAS makes very top notch products.
Again, ask AI.

PS.....the standard Arbitor will handle "magnum" .30 cal cartridges all day. No need for another can if you shoot win mag type cartridges.
Thanks,

Cheese- if I buy a magnum (a big IF) than it will be a .338lm. I plan on getting a .260 rem barrel for my AW at some point, which will use this same suppressor just fine.

I think I am going to buy a SAS. I like the looks of the Thunderbeast, but haven't really read any evidence to suggest that it is worth $300 more.

I'm window shopping .30 cal cans. I don't plan on buying one for 6 months to a year. Right now the 30p-1 and shark are at the top of my list.

Remember when buying a can it's generally a lifetime purchase unless you're willing to lose the tax + whatever it depreciates. The cost isn't as much of a concern for me as quality, size, weight, and suppression are.

When buying a .22 can my first priority was disassembly, then suppression, then finding it in stock in state. Cost was last on the list. After I bought the can, paid for prints, passport photos, background check , and tax stamp I have over 700 tied up in a can that lists for 450.

Just food for thought,
LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm window shopping .30 cal cans. I don't plan on buying one for 6 months to a year. Right now the 30p-1 and shark are at the top of my list.

Remember when buying a can it's generally a lifetime purchase unless you're willing to lose the tax + whatever it depreciates. The cost isn't as much of a concern for me as quality, size, weight, and suppression are.

When buying a .22 can my first priority was disassembly, then suppression, then finding it in stock in state. Cost was last on the list. After I bought the can, paid for prints, passport photos, background check , and tax stamp I have over 700 tied up in a can that lists for 450.

Just food for thought,
LM
</div></div>Don't get me wrong- I WILL pay extra for a better product. I want the best. That being said, I have heard a ton of good and no bad about SAS cans, that they are less expensive but in no way cheaper than their competitors- basically, I want to know WHY a 30p-1 or a Shark IS better, if I'm going to pay for it. Otherwise, I think I'm just going to get a SAS.

I bought an SWR OMEGA-300 . I use it for .300 Win-Mag , 7.62 , 5.56 . The extra volume makes it quieter than other 7.62 cans . Its 5/8" x 24 , which is a standard for .30 cal. flashiders and brakes , which I use for thread-protectors ...

Talked to Stacey at AI today about SAS suppressors, he had nothing but good things to say about them. I just sealed the deal on one, now for the long wait!

I just put a 30P-1 on my AW and shot it for the first time yesterday. I am really happy with the can. I had no POI shift and there was no difference in velocity. I am extremely pleased.