• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tsar Cannon Rifles

dadzic

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2010
Wausau WI
Tsar Cannon supposedly makes rifles for the Russian equivalent of the Secret Service and claims to produce the most accurate rifles in Europe. I know this video is a little fluffy and I don't buy the "eye of a rabbit at one mile" crap, but are these rifles worthy of the claim of being the most accurate European production firearm? Seems to me like a stretch but then again I'd hate to bash it without knowing anything about it. I know the reporter in the video is a dumbass but it's the rifle I'm interested in here. They want to enter the US market which is pretty significant considering the amount of great custom rifle manufacturers that we have here in the States. Some groups proving this remarkable accuracy claim would be useful. Have any of you guys heard about this Tsar Cannon, have any made their way over the pond and are they cheap compared to US counterparts? I hardly believe they could match US custom made rifles with quality, accuracy and reliability. These things I assume will be much cheaper if they want to have any chance of success.

Re: Tsar Cannon Rifles

I can only tell you two things that are certain. One, "the eye of a rabbit" is a figure of speach. Obviously there is no such a weapon capable of shooting a rabbit through an eye at 1 mile.
And two, a lot of firearm manufacturing in Russia is still curtained by secrecy. No one knows for sure what weapons they have and use and for what purposes. What we know about Russian weapons systems is what they allow us to know. Lots and lots of firearms and military gudgets cannot be even exported out of Russia. Are these particular rifles great? Maybe so but then again maybe not. Obviously this is a new company and based on how unprofessional the video clip was made I have a feeling they still have a lot to learn.

I know that it was a figure of speech but it does allude to the exceptional accuracy of the rifle. From the statements of the owner/manager and the reporter those rifles seem to be among the best in the world. Well I guess if they make it on the US market their claim will be put to the test, and their secrecy unveiled.

There must be something lost in translation
grin.gif

Well, being born and raised in Russia (USSR), I can tell you that some claims are the product of imagination after drinking a lot of vodka, but some other claims are true.

For example, the best and most expensive shotguns in the world, in my opinion, are not made in Italy, U.K. or Germany, but in Russia - there are still some craftmanship left there... Just check the web for "Russian revolver shotgun" - at least 10 years ahead of Taurus 2010 introduction, and in 12 gauge... Russians make great .22 rimfire weapons, if they feel like it pays to do that. So, it it possible that their claim related to centerfire rifles made by that specific company is somewhat true. Amazingly, Russia still makes very decent quality barrels in mass production, and I bet, for the serious money, they can make couple of exceptionally high quality barrels, actions, etc. They ask for a lot of money to do that, and can not make it in quantity, but if they want and get paid, they can deliver super duper system that would likely really surprise you. But again, it is more as an exception from the rule.

I think the pitch is that it is the "most accurate production rifle " in Europe.

Now production implies to me mas produced and if so their claim may have validity, and there are some accurate production rifles over there .Lets face it , accuracy is created through workmanship and the tolerances of a said rifle -then comes the truly hard part consistent ammo to shoot the rabbits eye at a mile and the idiot behind it .This rifle wont be any better than the kit a lot of us use but may be better than a remmy built for the UNSMC

“Tsar Cannon”, the creators of cutting-edge sniper rifles, has the only factory in Russia that custom makes rifles for the secret service to protect both Russia’s president and prime minister.

Production, however, does not stop there. In addition, the owner and chief designer Vladislav Lobaev personally builds the rifles used by Russia’s Olympic team of sharp shooters and hunting enthusiasts.

“If a person wants a real gun – they come to us. I believe we build the most accurate guns in Europe,” Vladislav Lobaev says.

The company was founded in 2003, and in 2005 Lobaev got a license for custom rifle production, which was the first of its kind in Russia.

The men who work in the company are not just manufacturers, but are also scientists. Using some of the world’s most sophisticated machinery to create these weapons, the plentiful trophies and awards they have won come as no surprise.

Lobaev assures that “They really are cutting edge weapons. We do a lot of research work for the government.”

In fact their research is so secretive that the RT filming crew was denied access to their onsite research and development center. After leaving the factory, the RT team trekked through nearby woodlands to a shooting range to meet with the secret service for demonstrations of one of their favorite sniper rifles.

“This is an extremely accurate weapon. It is very battle worthy. There is nothing like it in Russia,” shares one of the snipers.

The shots are remarkable accurate, so it is easy to understand why this kind of weapon is the first choice for professional snipers and for those protecting Russia’s top leaders. If one wanted to shoot out the eye of a rabbit at a distance of one mile, this is the gun for it.

Tsar Cannon plans to enter the US market in the near future where, even though the market is dense with similar companies, the number of shooting ranches is many times bigger than in Russia. Therefore there is a demand for the best, hi-tech rifles.

I have to ask myself "why?"

It's not like there isn't a well developed precision rifle industry in the US already. Why do we needs to import them from Russia?

To claim that you have something exotic?

For example, my wife has a winter coat made from Persian lamb skins, custom made in Russia. Nobody in the US has anything like that. Make her feel special.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that their rifles are marginally inferior to ours.

You can throw stupid amounts of money into machinery, only to reach a plateau in precision rifle building, and then ammunition is what really carries it.

So unless they've developed a rifle that defies physics, or is machined far more exacting than the top of the line machinery in the world, or made of unobtanium, i'm calling shens.

A bit of history - many olympic gold medals were taken with rifles and pistols made in Russia (or in Austria or in Germany). I can not recall hearing about any U.S. made firearms used to compete on that highest level in the last 50 years. I do not understand why, as I believe US can make this stuff. So, once in a while, it may be good to consider all possibilites.

It is true. The Russians make EXCELLENT Match grade rifles: .22LR, Biathlon Precision rifles, Match airguns that cost almost as much as a custom M40. They know their shit, keep things quiet, and don't loudly and arrogantly claim that they are #1, even though they are in certain areas... There are several Russian rifles I would LOVE to have. But they are either super expensive or impossible to get.

They also have some real high quality ammo, not mass produced.
As you've mentioned, it's difficult to learn details or get hold of it, but it's there for whatever tasks they need to use it. But mass produced stuff is so-so, nothing to write about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask myself "why?"

<span style="color: #CC0000">It's not like there isn't a well developed precision rifle industry in the US already. Why do we needs to import them from Russia?</span> </div></div>

----- What mas produced factory rifles do you think will fit into this category? This is their claim , a "production rifle" not a boutique manufacturer like many of the high end producers .

<span style="color: #FF0000">quote Alderleet
I'll bet dollars to donuts that their rifles are marginally inferior to ours.

You can throw stupid amounts of money into machinery, only to reach a plateau in precision rifle building, and then ammunition is what really carries it.
</span>
So unless they've developed a rifle that defies physics, or is machined far more exacting than the top of the line machinery in the world, or made of unobtanium, i'm calling shens.

---- ++1 on that

Though tsar-cannon went out of business, their rifles could be bought at second-hand market: http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/187/710493.html

It's .408ct rifle been sold for 580000 roubles ~ $19000

So sleep in peace - even a basic rem700 xcr 20" is priced $3000 at our stores and reload is barely legal for citizens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rem700 xcr 20" is priced $3000 at our stores
</div></div>

Ouch.

The guy who opened that shop, was the first person to ever get a license to build firearms privately in Russia and trained in the us under speedy Gonzales when he still had SG&Y in Texas. My bet is that Vlad (spelling???)could build a better rifle than most of the gunplummers in the us

This video made me laugh

- the reporter most certainly has permanent hearing loss to some degree now
- I wonder how many times he scoped himself and had makeup fix it up

The rifle looked alright, I guess but the
best in europe, thats a big claim, those scope rings were pretty differnt, isnt accuracy international a business based out of europe?

LOL : ) In video Lobaev said his SVL in .408 CT twice better than Cheytac M200, because his rifle shoots tighter groups, has higher velocity and kicks less... He also won 1K match in US...

The thread was dead and so is the company, so you will have trouble contacting them.
And you would have a hard time getting it legally exported from Russia any way.

There are several good gunsmiths in Europe though, just depends what you are looking for.

If you want a good tactical rifle, you can trust you're life on get a rifle from AI or PGM.

If you want a custom rifle and are looking for accuracy i would advice you to look up Christian Salva, from France.
He makes every component except the barrels himself though, so you're limited in choices when it comes to parts.
But he builds some very accurate rifles.

And there are a few talented gunsmiths in England and Germany i know of if you want something more mainstream.

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to make me do not make that rifle, but for other technical information.
I work in the field of ammunition, I have seen and are interested in testing that they made.

Unfortunately I did not find their site on the web. I do not know how to get to talk to them.