• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TT diamond vs Timney CE

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    So I understand one is a single stage, and the other is a two stage. I'm currently using a CMC 2.5lbs trigger in my precision AR lower, to go between a 223 and a 6.5 grendel. And it doesn't seem very precision to me. I've dry fired the piss out of this thing and it feels like the creep is getting worse or it's just me.

The only two stage trigger I've ever used is a savage accutrigger. How does the take up feel on the TT diamond?

Id really like the timney CE but I've heard people saying they have Bump fired it. And in reviews saying "it's dangerous." Anyone have any problems?

id like that 1.5 trigger pull. Absolute max 2lbs
    any suggestions?

Call CMC and tell them your trigger has creep. They will send you a prepaid label to send it in and they will have it back to you in a few days. There should be zero creep with that trigger.

I've got a couple of both. For precision stuff I prefer the Diamond. Travel is a little shorter but most importantly I can do some free recoil stuff with the 2 stage Diamond that I know from experience will get me bursts with the CE. Mind you the CE only bursts if you're knowingly using truly free recoil technique or if you're just an idiot. For high speed stuff CE rules.

I've got a couple of both. For precision stuff I prefer the Diamond. Travel is a little shorter but most importantly I can do some free recoil stuff with the 2 stage Diamond that I know from experience will get me bursts with the CE. Mind you the CE only bursts if you're knowingly using truly free recoil technique or if you're just an idiot. For high speed stuff CE rules.
    How much pressure is the first stage? The only experience I have with a 2 stage is a shitty savage. I read on here people say it's almost non existent. This will only be shot from a bench or prone. I dryfire like 200-500 times a day. Just practicing fundamentals. That being said I'm still in an infancy stage compared to alot of you. When I shoot from the bench I'd say I have about 1-3 pounds of shoulder pressure. Perhaps I'll try both. Haha
    Call CMC and tell them your trigger has creep. They will send you a prepaid label to send it in and they will have it back to you in a few days. There should be zero creep with that trigger.
    Will do! Thanks for the info. Honestly it may have always had it. The past couple weeks when dry firing I'd work on a respiratory pause, and take like 2-4 second to pull the trigger, just adding ounces of pressure at a time, and that's when I noticed it. I'd say it's creeping between 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

How much pressure is the first stage? The only experience I have with a 2 stage is a shitty savage. I read on here people say it's almost non existent.
    Yeah, the first stage is barely sprung, it doesn't really require any more pressure than your finger needs just to move. I'm sure that has something to do with the Diamond having the worst reset ever. Not an issue for slow deliberate fire though.

I have a CE and my opinion is its a good very light single stage trigger, you can unintentionally bump fire it if you shoot your AR free recoil or with a very loose grip. You can adjust the CE trigger shoe fore and aft, up and down and the shoe angle.
    I have put thousands of rounds through my CE without any drama. The only thing dangerous about it is the knucklehead behind the trigger.

I dont like two stage triggers for me its just a additional unnecessary step in the process of getting a bullet to the target.

The first stage pull of a diamond is .25 lbs. It's basically nonexistent. Very crisp 2nd stage break. I keep mine around that 1.5 lb total for target shooting and will bump it up to 2.25ish if I'm hunting.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dildobaggins
    I also have a CE in my rifle and it's on its 2md barrel. Somewhere of 3-4k rounds on it and never had an issue. Especially here in SW Montana 100 degrees to way too damn cold it's never had a hiccup.

I've had some TT come in with broken hammers and was not impressed with customer service. Might be different now, but Timney in my experience is tip notch and if there is a problem they will fix it.

Is the overall width of a Trigger Tech trigger for a model 700 Remington narrower than a Timney Trigger? In the instructions for installing the Timney Trigger it states in the notes that "Timney Triggers are slightly wider than Remington factory triggers. You may need to enlarge the opening on the trigger guard where the trigger protrudes from the stock." I have experienced that it is the bolt release tab that binds slightly on the trigger guard as well as the pins and screw that hold the trigger assembly together. I had to do a slight modification to the trigger guard to get enough clearance for the bolt release tab to travel freely. I also had to do a little inletting in the stock to allow for clearance for the pins and screw that hold the trigger assembly together. I looked at the installation instructions for the Trigger Tech trigger for a Remington Model 700 and there is no reference to any required modifications to the trigger guard or stock inletting to install the Trigger Tech trigger.
    No clue. This is the semi auto forum.

No first hand experience with either, but a few years ago I was squadded with a guy running a CE in a 6.5 creedmoor at a PRS style local match. He doubled his first shot enough that he went to single loading.

So I just saw on midway that in December trigger tech is coming out with a single stage diamond 1.5-4lbs pull weight. Now I really don't know what to do lol

Reactions: 338dude
    So I just saw on midway that in December trigger tech is coming out with a single stage diamond 1.5-4lbs pull weight. Now I really don't know what to do lol
    I've never pulled either one, but if I were given a choice of only a TT or Calvin elite, there is no question that I would choose the TT.

Reactions: 338dude
    Only because I watched a guy at a comp double his Calvin elite on every stage until he stared single loading. Yes, it was him and his poor trigger control, but it stuck with me.
    You've probably seen countless videos of Mustangs crashing while leaving car shows too, I wouldn't let that factor in a car purchase decision, I'd just keep it in mind while leaving car shows.

the new TriggerTech diamond single-stage triggers are currently on sale;
    from their website: " Receive 20% off single-stage triggers and AR safeties until Nov 24th!"
    Just saw that. Think that did it for me. I'm going to grab one.

Got the trigger tech diamond single stage installed. Was very easy, and the adjustments are nice. Trigger reset is almost non existent compared to anything else I've had. Just like the trigger tech special I have in my bolt gun, the break is incredibly crisp. Have not had the opportunity to go to the range to test it, but I have dry fired it a few hundred times. Seems really nice and worth the money. Looking forward to using it next week. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_141832_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20221207_141832_hdr.jpg
      307.9 KB · Views: 24