• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tubb Extractor on Rem 700. Any one use one?

JD42

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Or
Hi I am thinking of getting a Tubb Extractor kit from midway. For my .223 Rem 700. I have been haveing extraction problems. The kit requires milling of the bolt. It is a Sako type extractor. Any one out there useing one? Better way to go? Any input would be good. Thanks

Re: Tubb Extractor on Rem 700. Any one use one?

I would be asking myself why my stock remmy bolt wasn't extracing. You might look for that problem first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be asking myself why my stock remmy bolt wasn't extracing. </div></div>

+1, you should find the problem before spending $ on solutions...

I have a complete Tubb bolt on my Remmy 700 6.5-284 and love it. Haven't had one problem... once I got it put all together
smile.gif

I think Badger makes an m-16 extractor also. Dont know wich is better.

Have one on my 40x 308,dont waste your money or time as they do not eject any better than the factory one does.Also im sure someone here on the forum will come on and say im wrong,so if you want too go ahead and buy into the fad,in the end you will have wasted about $200.00 for nothing....

Thanks guys. The rem. Extractor was worn out.I am not a big fan of the type of extractors they use. Its a small steel clip. Thought it might be a good up grade.

Somewhere on the net I bet you can find an article by Layne Simpson on the "upgrading" of 700 extractors. Long to short is it is always a mistake. If your 700 extractor is not working it is an easy, cheap fix. I have found them to be about the most reliable of all except the 98 Mauser. I did have some trouble with the .223 chewing up the cases and bolt closing hard as it was too tight, but that was a 3 min fix with a file. Just loosened it up a bit as it grabbed too tightly. It extracted fine. I understand that this is common with the newer 700 .223's
Sako extractors are not reliable, even on Sako's in my expirence.

I have had 2 sakos brought to me to fix. The remington can be fixed in the field in under 5 minutes. That is why I just bought a surgeon 591 over some of the others. In my pack is a multi tool and and extra extractor.

I think there are issues with a Badger m16 in a .378 bolt face, in that the extractor cut would be to deep for a small bolt face!

Wow thanks for the help. I knew this is the place to ask. Appricate the input.