• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Tubbs 4 way adjustable stock??

utahcybercowboy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2008
Utah, Sandy
I purchased a Tubbs 4 way adjustable stock to put on my Savage with HS Precision stock. I have to admit I am a little chicken to chop my stock and put this on. Anyone know of any writeups on how to best go about this?

Re: Tubbs 4 way adjustable stock??

SSS 6 way adj butt plate installation.

Cut the recoil pad off the H&S stock.
Align & Mount the base plate w/4 each screws.
Shape butt plate to stock by machining & polishing.
Fit rubber pad.

i have one on my remington model 700, even with that skinny little pad, it is seriously comfortable

You need to do some checking before jumping into the install. Things to consider:

The unit you want to install is both long and has a large footprint against the stock. So. . . ..

You need to calc how far back you need to cut the stock (a bunch). Then you need to realize that your particular stock has a lot of taper running from the grip to the toe. By the time you cut the stock to a length needed to give you some adjustment range to your new shiney adj. butt assembly the available rear face of your stock is going to be quite small.

The rear of your stock will also be hollow, so you will need to investigate possible fill needed to accomodate some of the anchor screws.

The unit you have has some extra flange around the circumference so that it can be ground to match the stock lines. I'm betting that after cutting the length, your stock will be a good bit smaller than the minimum the assembly can be ground to. Not only do you need to make sure the anchor screws aren't too close to the edges of the stock but you need to consider what this mutha is going to look like if you grind it enough to fit.

Not saying it can't be done or that you won't be happy with the outcome. Just saying to look at it, measure about a 100 times and visualize what you are going to have when you're done.

Your stock is a good stock and the Tubb unit is a good part. They just aren't made to work together.

Good luck but proceed carefully before you commit by cutting your stock. Let us know how this turns out.

I sure appreciatte the feedback. I will take a good hard look at my setup and see if it looks like it will work for me.