• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tubbs Flat Wire Problem

Alaska

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2013
Alaska
Trying to put a Tubbs Flat wire in Carbine extension having problems compressing it to get buffer in ? Is this spring too long?

The obvious question - Did you buy a rifle length tube spring or Carbine length? I have one for a rifle length tube and it works flawlessly.

Maybe measure yours and call them to confirm its the right length for your application?

Trying to put a Tubbs Flat wire in Carbine extension having problems compressing it to get buffer in ? Is this spring too long?

They almost always give me trouble if you're getting to the end and try to push in more than 1 coil at a time at the retainer pin.

Shove the whole thing in there and then push the last coil deeper in the tube when you're trying to get the buffer in over the retainer pin.

Tubb springs are supposed to be one size fits all. They are longer but the flat coils are thinner than the standard springs, so it actually compresses more than a standard spring. I put one in a S&W MP10 not too long ago, but that one uses a buffer tube a little longer than a carbine tube. Like Mike_in_FL above says, it gets hard getting those coils over the pin towards the end of the spring, use a thin pointed object to help hold that pin down while installing.

Thanks for the reply It’s a pain that last inch of spring. Thanks for the input !

TUBB Flatwire Buffer springs

26 coil for 9mm / Blackout
37 coil for 223 and other AR15 cartridges - carbine or standard
45 coil for AR 10- carbine or standard

I have successfully use 2- 26 coils in a carbine buffer tube....so room for the flatwire spring to fit should not be an issue.
Dtubb

TUBB Flatwire Buffer springs

26 coil for 9mm / Blackout
37 coil for 223 and other AR15 cartridges - carbine or standard
45 coil for AR 10- carbine or standard

I have successfully use 2- 26 coils in a carbine buffer tube....so room for the flatwire spring to fit should not be an issue.
Dtubb

@DTubb

FWIW... 100% my favorite recoil spring. I use them in all my AR's, 9MM, 308 / 6.5CM, 300BK, and .223 / 5.56.

Your Flatwire recoil springs have always produced 100% positive function.

Thank You Mr. Tubbs for making them.

Any history you could share about them ? I would be genuinely interested.

What made you / prompted you to make them ? .... I realize the better "MouseTrap" aspect, but ... more detail !! ;)

When did you sell the first ones ? I don't remember what prompted me to buy one, way back when ... ( Your books or the CWS drew me towards it.. maybe even Glen Zediker )

Last edited:
Reactions: Earnhardt
I going to reserve the tubbs flat wire spring for the rifle buffer tube , this is a pain to get in carbine extension tube. Going to the Super 42 carbine Braided Buffer Spring and buffer.

Really like the Super 42 spring and buffer combo in my M4 Carbine ! Glad I switched!

I have run them in carbines for a long time. With no problem. Couple of things.

Before you put the buffer and spring in the gun, compress the spring around the buffer so you will have confidence that the spring is not the problem by being too long. (It won't be.)

The Tubb is stainless which is different than the Springcos. Springcos are excellent. But they need more maintenance than the Tubb. If you can't do maintenance, select a Tubb.

Edit. Wow. Totally missed the timestamp on this thread. I am starting to miss more and more details as I age.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I have run them in carbines for a long time. With no problem. Couple of things.

Before you put the buffer and spring in the gun, compress the spring around the buffer so you will have confidence that the spring is not the problem by being too long. (It won't be.)

The Tubb is stainless which is different than the Springcos. Springcos are excellent. But they need more maintenance than the Tubb. If you can't do maintenance, select a Tubb.

Edit. Wow. Totally missed the timestamp on this thread. I am starting to miss more and more details as I age.
FWIW, when installing / removing the Tubbs Flatwire recoil spring, I hold down the buffer retaining pin with a small flat edge screwdriver, or the tip of the blade from a pocket knife.

And what tangible performance improvement does the flat wire spring bring to the table over a Sprinco or a JP standard spring?

Other than reducing the somewhat imaginary "twang" some some seem to experience.

MM

And what tangible performance improvement does the flat wire spring bring to the table over a Sprinco or a JP standard spring?

Other than reducing the somewhat imaginary "twang" some some seem to experience.

MM
If you're sincerely interested, this video explains the difference.

Reactions: JS8588

MM
Do you know the performance differences between stainless steel and chrome silicon?

If the "twang" is imaginary, then why does JP offer a "silent" spring? Why do they advertise their custom buffer spring to stop the “spoon over a cheese grater” sound?

I had most all the springs at one time
The best by far Super 42 Spring and H1 buffer kit .never go back to regular spring flat or round.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There's no performance gain on the target.

MM
Since you did not answer the question about JP marketing, let me. People don't imagine noise. They buy springs not only to make their guns work better, but to stop the irritating noise of a standard spring. Just like JP, Geissele markets their wound spring as "diminishing the “twang”.

Since you did not answer the question about stainless and chrome silicon, let me. 17-7 stainless is used by Tubb in their flat spring. It resists corrosion much more than chrome silicon. Chrome Silicon is used by Bill Wilson in the Wilson flat spring and by Springco. CS needs more periodic maintenance than stainless and while CS is excellent material for springs, it corrodes easily.

If these products were not reducing noise and solving cycling problems, they would not have been developed, marketed, and sold in the millions, which they are.

Super 42: $32
Tubb stainless flat: $27
Wilson chrome silicon: $16
Springco: $20
GI: $8

If these products were not reducing noise and solving cycling problems, they would not have been developed, marketed, and sold in the millions, which they are.
In over 30+ builds, with all gas systems, I've never had a cycling problem.............or a spring problem, exclusively with Sprinco or JP polished springs. Not one. Ever.

I wear shooting muffs...........the bang or the bang, bang, bang drowns out any potential twang from my well lubed springs for me.

Maybe your hearing is just better than mine.

As for stainless, yes, the corrosion advantages are evident if you thing that you need them in that application.

Obviously, YMMV.

MM

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Not sure why we are pretending like buffer systems/springs are super expensive to “upgrade”. My scs is one of the cheapest parts on my rifles. As long as the weight of the system is correct, any spring is “reliable”. Through 100s of thousands of rounds in training and down range I’ve never had a spring just spontaneously combust, taking my weapons system with it. That said, ok to spend a tiny bit of money to reduce some noise that I hear running suppressed (even with hearing damage) without affecting functionality or reliability. I also like ambi and enlarged safety selectors. Has nothing to do with performance on target.

Agreed with the small cost of upgraded springs, & I do that on all guns............but adding a $220 SCS, isn't trivial but if someone likes it & is willing to pay for it, then rock on.

But please don't piss down my neck & tell me it's raining & that if I don't do it or even upgrade to a flat spring, my gun's gonna have problems & imply that I'm an idiot for not embracing them.

Also agree on improved & ambi safeties. :)

MM

Agreed with the small cost of upgraded springs, & I do that on all guns............but adding a $220 SCS, isn't trivial but if someone likes it & is willing to pay for it, then rock on.

But please don't piss down my neck & tell me it's raining & that if I don't do it or even upgrade to a flat spring, my gun's gonna have problems & imply that I'm an idiot for not embracing them.

Also agree on improved & ambi safeties. :)

MM
Not trivial as in it does add up over multiple builds but $220 doesn’t add much to a $2500 in parts build. Budgeting wise- if I’m torn between getting a SCS or a nice trigger, then I’m going for the trigger. But get your point. I also get a discount at JP and I know their stuff is quality so I don’t mind just buying what I need from them. I likely don’t need their more expensive bolts/carriers that I buy either but I won’t derail the thread going down that rabbit hole.

I’m guessing the pissing down your neck was directed at a different comment, as I agree and even mentioned I’ve never had a gun go down due to a buffer spring malfunction. And I’ve got enough time behind them that it would have happened to me by now if it was a factor. I’ve also got way more than enough “trust with my life reliable” rifles in the safe that I do admit I like to play around with the ones I build now, and that includes adding some shit that I may not “need”, just like the rifles themselves at this point.

Agreed on all counts.

JP stuff is all good & it would be nice to get discounts of their stuff; probably half my guns have their ground & polished recoils springs, more than adequate performance, & I've use several of their bolts & a couple of BCG's.

Their stainless, polished lightweight carrier is the very smoothest carrier I've ever used.........I thought DLC was the smoothest, & it is really good, the JP is just a tad smoother.

I've used a couple of their barrels, before they became such a long wait item, & they're as good as my Kreigers & Rock Creek barrels. Their products aren't cheap, but they work as advertised.

MM