• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tumbler took a shit on me

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
it was a frankford arsenal and I have had it a good 6 years and its ( the motor ) is starting to over heat on me...

now with out spending an arm and a leg what other tumblers are good out their ? i like clear lids and for them to be sort of on the quiet side and to hold a reasonable amount in them as well

suggestions ?

Re: tumbler took a shit on me

I have a Dillon, RCBS and a Lyman. Out of the three I would recommend the Dillon first, RCBS second and the Lyman third.

The Dillon is quiet, has a good lid, switch on the cord, well shaped bowl and it cleans brass like no other.

I think the Lyman 1600 Pro is on sale at Cabela's right now...

RCBS and Lyman here, both are fine.

Both hold plenty, and can run both at the same time without being too annoying. Having enough media in them makes them quiet.

The Lyman has a clear lid, which means absolutely nothing to me, and of the two I prefer the RCBS because the tub is a harder less-flexible plastic. Not a big fan of the rubber hold down nuts on the Lyman either but they do their job, albeit slower to spin down the rod. Just haven't got around to making a better replacement for them yet in the pattern of the RCBS threaded knob.

Bought the RCBS as just a tumbler, got the Lyman in a moly combo kit.

If I get clean brass out of a tumbler, and it doesn't fall in a busted pile of crap in the process, then I'm happy enough......

If you have a Harbor Freight in your area they have two Vibratorys for sale! I purchased the smaller on on sale for $40 awhile back and also purchased there replacement warranty! I have been back 3 times with dead tumblers and each time left with a brand new one!

Food for thought!

5lb tumbler

18lb tumbler

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a Harbor Freight in your area they have two Vibratorys for sale! I purchased the smaller on on sale for $40 awhile back and also purchased there replacement warranty! I have been back 3 times with dead tumblers and each time left with a brand new one!

Food for thought!

5lb tumbler

18lb tumbler

Terry

</div></div>

Beat me to it. I've done this for both the corncob vibratory type and the wet polish tumbler they sell for SS media.

My frankford quit working within months of buying it. However, after taking it part way apart, I found that a wire have just vibrated loose. I reconnected it, and its been going strong for the past 4 years. Not saying I think this is the problem with yours, just a heads up in case it saves you a few dollars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragonjr45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My frankford quit working within months of buying it. However, after taking it part way apart, I found that a wire have just vibrated loose. I reconnected it, and its been going strong for the past 4 years. Not saying I think this is the problem with yours, just a heads up in case it saves you a few dollars. </div></div>

i just had that same problem two weeks ago and fixed it... so when it was turning off and on by its self last night thats what i though wire is loose again.

well then it started making a burning smell and i had dad look at it... in short he said its fried... but now is my excuse to get a new one

this is what i have my eyes set on, any one like or dislike these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=514805

My Lyman finally snapped the central threaded rod after nearly a score of years. I believe I can get a replacement at the local Do It Best hardware store.

Greg

"Partially disassemble and put a drop of oil on both bearings."

Roger that. Unless the motor windings have actually gotten hot enough to melt the varnish insulation off the wires, flushing the gummy oil out the bronze sleeve bearings with a cheap spray carburator cleaner followed with a little high grade non-gumming oil on the bearings will likely fix it. (I use my "regular" gun oil on mine; Automatic Transmission Fluid from Walmart. Do NOT use WD 40!)

My newest Lyman tumbler motor has nice ball bearings and a 1/4" shaft, it's by far the best motor I've seen on any vib. tumbler. My other tumbler is a 30 year old Lyman that's on it's third replacement motor. The motors can be bought pretty cheap from most electrical supply houses, it's the same as those used in common bath and kitchen stove exhaust blowers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Lyman finally snapped the central threaded rod after nearly a score of years. I believe I can get a replacement at the local Do It Best hardware store.
Greg </div></div>

That's true. I've made a couple from 1/4 steel rod but all you really need is a (cheap) length of 1/4 x 20 "all thread", most all hardware, Lowe's, H'Depot carry it.

take it apart and try to clean it up, I bet the brushes have a layer of dust preventing electrons to flow freely.

Could be an opportunity/rationalization for switching over to a wet drum tumbler for SS media, if you aren't already using it.

I bought a used Thumbler Model B about 35 years ago. I retired in about 15yrs ago when i purchased a Midway Vibratory tumbler about 15 yrs ago.

When i started shooting a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle about 10 years ago one challenge was cleaning the cases. I purchased some ceramic media and started using the Thumbler again. It does an excellent job.

Recently my Midway Vibratory tumbler started running intermittently. I found the electric cord was nearly completely cut in half were it goes through the base. About a $1 in parts and about an hour of my time corrected the problem. It is once again doing an excellent job cleaning my smokeless cartridge cases.

"I bet the brushes have a layer of dust preventing electrons to flow freely."

Tumblers have induction motors, no brushes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
this is what i have my eyes set on, any one like or dislike these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=514805 </div></div>

for a little extra you can get the Lyman Turbo 2500 Pro Magnum with Autoflow. auto flow allows you to open a port and drain the media into a bucket, then vibrate the cases and used a gloved hand to stir them up and separate the media from inside the cases.. basically eliminating the need for a media separator.. this is also good if you're gonna want to go from walnut to corncob on the same cases.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=910617

My guess is that overheating is not an indication of actual mechanical failure. Lubrication and dust/dirt accumulation might be at the problem's core. Disassemble vacuum/blow out the motor ventilation openings, and oil/grease any points of friction.

Another cause might be overloading. Try running it with about 1/2 to 2/3 bowl of brass/media.

Greg

I would not recommend the Lyman Turbo 2500 Pro Magnum with Autoflow. I bought one & within 6 months the plate that the main bolt goes into broke. Midway sent me a new one; kudos to them. Then within a few more months the motor fried on the replacement one. I threw it out at that point.

The bolt wasn't threaded into the main plate all the way on the first unit, the second one just fried & yes i cleaned out the motor several times during it's use to avoid dust collecting in it.

My old antique midway 1292 sat next to the lyman & it is still going strong w/o cleaning dust out of the motor.

My replacement for the Lyman is a Large Dillon. one year & still going & is much quieter than the 1292 or lyman.

Greg if you need a bolt for the lyman 2500, it should be 5/16"-18 x 9" long. Your local hardware store should have threaded rod you can cut to length. I removed the bolt from my broken one before i threw it out so if you can't find one locally PM me your address & i'll send it to you.

Here is a link to quick release nuts for the tumblers:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33708/Product/Tumbler_Quick_Release_Nut

The word is crap on the forum. Berrys MFG makes a very good tumbler plus many other things for reloaders. I have had mine for years without ay problems. Where in the Bible does it say that GOD will not give us more that we can handle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The word is crap on the forum. Berrys MFG makes a very good tumbler plus many other things for reloaders. I have had mine for years without ay problems. Where in the Bible does it say that GOD will not give us more that we can handle? </div></div>

id love to talk to you about that but religious conversation is strictly forbidden on this sight so.

any way i have a few days before pay day to decide on what i wanna get... thanks for all the good info guys

I have 3 Lymans, a 1200 that is still running after 20 years, and two 2500's. I've been tumbling 50 bmg (along with most everything else I reload)in the two 2500's for the last few years and have no problems with either of them. I made my own clear lid with a piece of 1/4" Lexan I had.

Thanks, I'm good. I'll just fix it in the Spring as suggested several places here. My setup is in the Garage, currently 12* F out there.

Greg

I've had similar problems with other tumblers. Since I have a motor shop, I did an autopsy. Dust from media deposited in the motor bearings over the years, and gradually increased the torque requirements of the motor. I added to the problem by leaving the lid off during operation, increasing the dust available. Motor for my Thumbler Tumbler was cheaper than fixing the original motor. Parts are hard to find.