• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuning extractor

Sbertuna

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2020
I am having trouble with my brass sometimes getting hung up inside my action. I’m a left handed shooter so when the case is being ejected it appears to hit my parallax and bounce back into my rifle. This started occurring after I switched from 6.5 creedmoor to 6GT. Someone mentioned tuning my extractor but I don’t know what that entails or if my qualified to make such an adjustment. Can someone please explain this tuning?

Can you please post some pictures:
  1. Bolt face
  2. Bolt halfway down ejection port
  3. Ejection port and scope parallax knob

1. Bolt face
  1. Bolt face
E9B599BB-9713-4505-8C9C-B50AB22A8E45.jpeg
AA189DBA-A747-4C7D-99BE-0B35F49BDFC0.jpeg
9006E9CF-726A-4390-8647-53170C3D9502.jpeg

The extractor in the bolt already has the modification I would suggest. (the angle filed on the corner). Although the amount taken off the corner looks like too much. Also, I wonder if the corner on the extractor is the correct one for a left bolt?

Later ....... I looked at a picture of my right bolt and its opposite of yours. So you have the correct modification.

Reactions: Sbertuna
M16-style extractors in R700 clone actions are often brand specific. There’s a separate issue, though, where you can’t put the extractor in the right place because the bolt lug is in the way. The extractor itself pulls the brass up towards the scope.

The centered-on-the-lug ejector plunger helps mitigate that but isn’t perfect.

Actually, second thought - the 6GT case is shorter than the 6.5CM case, which means it ejects before you get as far back, which might explain why it’s suddenly not working properly. Maybe clipping a coil or two off the ejector plunger spring would slow down the ejection cycle and cause fewer problems. It shouldn’t be more than a couple bucks to get a replacement spring shipped to you just in case.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
M16-style extractors in R700 clone actions are often brand specific. There’s a separate issue, though, where you can’t put the extractor in the right place because the bolt lug is in the way. The extractor itself pulls the brass up towards the scope.

The centered-on-the-lug ejector plunger helps mitigate that but isn’t perfect.

Actually, second thought - the 6GT case is shorter than the 6.5CM case, which means it ejects before you get as far back, which might explain why it’s suddenly not working properly. Maybe clipping a coil or two off the ejector plunger spring would slow down the ejection cycle and cause fewer problems. It shouldn’t be more than a couple bucks to get a replacement spring shipped to you just in case.
It’s worth a shot