• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Turkey; Brined and Fried, or just fried?

Turkey. To brine or not to brine....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I've fried turkeys before, but twas many moons ago and I've no idea what the hell I did other than get shit faced.

Should I brine or no?

You left out the correct answer. Brined and smoked

Brining a bird allows moisture to get into the breast, and will give you more room for error on overcooking before it gets dry. The only disadvantage is time and effort spent to brine

I don’t cook birds at all anymore without brining them overnight first. I prefer smoked as well but I wouldn’t turn down fried either. Bottom line I would brine it no matter what. I just use a simple brine with salt, a couple different fresh herbs, and lemon peel.

Brine for sure. Salt, brown sugar, cajun seasoning, onions and garlic. Then smoke or fry. This year is smoke for us.

I just put my bird in the giant brine bag, Third year in a row with a 24 hour soak. Makes a big difference.

Frying was cool for a while, but I’ve come to the conclusion that smoked or baked is better. On that note, I’ve recently started doing whole birds spatchcock style. Awesome, and cooks in half the time. Regardless of the method though, absolutely brine it.

6AE3F1C6-12EA-4A8C-9CF7-342606A79A24.jpeg

Started brining and oven cooking 3 years ago, I'll never go back.

Brine is cooling right now and turkey will be soaking within 2 hours.

i-ZHFn7d4-XL.jpg

I posted this on another thread.

Bird has been soaking 48 hours. Just pulled it and put in refrigerator. Start smoking at 0400 tomorrow.

Salt, brown sugar, garlic, black pepper

Wood: wild cherry, maple 50/50

I'll post pics and results. Fair or Foul.
    IMG_20201123_154129938.jpg
    IMG_20201123_153915322.jpg

E