Turning an AR10 barrel from a barrel blank

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
Does anyone know which reputable smith is still making AR10 barrels out of blanks? I asked Compass Lake and River Bend, and neither is providing that service right now.

bobke

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Sep 17, 2010
    Hill Country, Texas
    Among a couple of very accurate 6.5CM AR barrels I have, including a 20” +2 Proof CF and a turned from 1.25” blank Bartlein by Craddock, the 20” +2 Krieger John chambered for me noses both in cold bore, average accuracy and flex across bullets weights. And it’s a 1:7, at that.
    No idea what current state of affairs is, but I’m more than pleased with the work he’s done for me to date.

yej0001

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 5, 2011
    Northern CA
    Im curious, what are you trying to accomplish?
    Have a couple of Bartlein 6.5 blanks laying around, and am thinking of making them into AR10 barrel to see if I can get the ultimate semi accuracy. Probably easier to buy a Proof AR10 barrel instead of getting through the trouble....

Supersubes

Heathen
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Sep 6, 2006
    Eastern Sierra
    Have a couple of Bartlein 6.5 blanks laying around, and am thinking of making them into AR10 barrel to see if I can get the ultimate semi accuracy. Probably easier to buy a Proof AR10 barrel instead of getting through the trouble....
    Dont know how old they are but if they're a few years old, they maybe worth a little more than you paid for them. The contouring cost is gonna make this a loser imo. Doing a CLE bart is gonna be cheaper likely.

Reactions: yej0001

DangerRanger

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 9, 2018
    East
    Used to be sending a blank to CLE was an easy way to save a few bucks and have EXACTLY what you want made.

My current 6.5 creed gas barrel was just that. Found a nos straight blank and had CLe cut and chamber and saved a dollar. Sad they aren’t doing that anymore

Reactions: yej0001

WittyOwl

Internet opinions are worth what you pay for them.
    Minuteman
    Dec 16, 2022
    NE Pennsylvania
    Keystone used to do good work. Pretty sure John s a total mess now. Proceed with caution
    Not a total mess, just an oceanic sized oil spill that I'm in the process of getting cleaned up. If you've ever gotten a divorce (and I know some of you who have) from a complete fucking bitch who wants everything you've ever had from birth, got a phony PFA on you, and tried to brainwash the kids because she evolved into a political and religious zealot in a matter of a year's time during COVID, menopause, and a mid life crisis all at once......you'll understand. If you don't, take my advice and STAY SINGLE!

Yes, there have been some hiccups and I dropped off the radar for a time, while trying to get through the keyhole, but my shop is in tact and up and running.

John
    Keystone Accuracy

Last edited:

Earnhardt

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jul 8, 2018
    Not a total mess, just an oceanic sized oil spill that I'm in the process of getting cleaned up. If you've ever gotten a divorce (and I know some of you who have) from a complete fucking bitch who wants everything you've ever had from birth, got a phony PFA on you, and tried to brainwash the kids because she evolved into a political and religious zealot in a matter of a year's time during COVID, menopause, and a mid life crisis all at once......you'll understand. If you don't, take my advice and STAY SINGLE!

Yes, there have been some hiccups and I dropped off the radar for a time, while trying to get through the keyhole, but my shop is in tact and up and running.

John
    Keystone Accuracy
    Will you make a WSM LR308 barrel, if a customer sends in a barrel blank with a reamer?
    Cost?
    Lead time?
    Thanks