• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Turning an AR10 barrel from a barrel blank

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
Does anyone know which reputable smith is still making AR10 barrels out of blanks? I asked Compass Lake and River Bend, and neither is providing that service right now.

Among a couple of very accurate 6.5CM AR barrels I have, including a 20” +2 Proof CF and a turned from 1.25” blank Bartlein by Craddock, the 20” +2 Krieger John chambered for me noses both in cold bore, average accuracy and flex across bullets weights. And it’s a 1:7, at that.
No idea what current state of affairs is, but I’m more than pleased with the work he’s done for me to date.

Im curious, what are you trying to accomplish?
Have a couple of Bartlein 6.5 blanks laying around, and am thinking of making them into AR10 barrel to see if I can get the ultimate semi accuracy. Probably easier to buy a Proof AR10 barrel instead of getting through the trouble....

Have a couple of Bartlein 6.5 blanks laying around, and am thinking of making them into AR10 barrel to see if I can get the ultimate semi accuracy. Probably easier to buy a Proof AR10 barrel instead of getting through the trouble....
Dont know how old they are but if they're a few years old, they maybe worth a little more than you paid for them. The contouring cost is gonna make this a loser imo. Doing a CLE bart is gonna be cheaper likely.

Reactions: yej0001
Used to be sending a blank to CLE was an easy way to save a few bucks and have EXACTLY what you want made.

My current 6.5 creed gas barrel was just that. Found a nos straight blank and had CLe cut and chamber and saved a dollar. Sad they aren’t doing that anymore

Reactions: yej0001
Keystone used to do good work. Pretty sure John s a total mess now. Proceed with caution
Not a total mess, just an oceanic sized oil spill that I'm in the process of getting cleaned up. If you've ever gotten a divorce (and I know some of you who have) from a complete fucking bitch who wants everything you've ever had from birth, got a phony PFA on you, and tried to brainwash the kids because she evolved into a political and religious zealot in a matter of a year's time during COVID, menopause, and a mid life crisis all at once......you'll understand. If you don't, take my advice and STAY SINGLE!

Yes, there have been some hiccups and I dropped off the radar for a time, while trying to get through the keyhole, but my shop is in tact and up and running.

John
Keystone Accuracy

Last edited:
Not a total mess, just an oceanic sized oil spill that I'm in the process of getting cleaned up. If you've ever gotten a divorce (and I know some of you who have) from a complete fucking bitch who wants everything you've ever had from birth, got a phony PFA on you, and tried to brainwash the kids because she evolved into a political and religious zealot in a matter of a year's time during COVID, menopause, and a mid life crisis all at once......you'll understand. If you don't, take my advice and STAY SINGLE!

Yes, there have been some hiccups and I dropped off the radar for a time, while trying to get through the keyhole, but my shop is in tact and up and running.

John
Keystone Accuracy
Will you make a WSM LR308 barrel, if a customer sends in a barrel blank with a reamer?
Cost?
Lead time?
Thanks