• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Turrets turning

PMPerformance

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2008
Surprise,Az
I have a Leupold MK4 LR/T mounted on a hunting gone.I took it hunting for the first time two weeks ago and had a problem with turrets turning while I carried it.It actually caused me to miss the first two animals I shot at.What is or can be done to lock the turrets down while carrying??

Thank you..

Re: Turrets turning

Why not get a scope designed for hunting? You really don't need a Tactical/target scope for hunting.

I would call Leupold. I have a couple M4 LR-T scopes and the turrets have plenty of friction and would not turn by simply brushing or rubbing against something.
myerfire

It does sound like your knobs may be moving too easy. I'd find a new mark IV and check it's knob tension to compare and go from there, if it's way different, into leupold to get fixed. That said, I've had this happen with rough/long hunting conditions, maybe it was when the gun was tossed in the truck or put under a fence or caught on the sling etc. etc. It does happen, and it's the reason that for a pure hunting rig, either you have to train yourself to verify zero on the knobs before a shot (a good idea anyway) or go to a covered knob. The downside of the covered knob being that if you need to make a quick adjustment it's more of a pain and knob covers tend to get lost.

Frankly guys get too out of control for most hunting rigs. You can take a simple 30-06 and sight it in to be 3" high at 100, which makes it pretty well dead on at 300 and at 400 on a deer you are right on the top of their back. That gets you 0-400 easily in the kill zone with no scope adjustment, no mil dots, no nothing. Now if you set up a mildot scope and know your holdovers even better. Frankly even then I'd set it up for a 300 yard zero, and be good from 0-300 holding dead on (you can always do a little hold under at 50/100 if you are anal) it's fast and it works. Then if you have a ballistic or mildot reticule you can work out holdover spacing for 400 and past. It's fast and it's simple and in hunting situations that's many times worth more than dicking around with adjusting knobs.

We do the same thing with bows, sight the first pin in for 30 yards instead of 20 and you are easily in the kill zone from 10 yards to 35 yards with one pin. Next two pins can be 45 and 55 yards, that way 3 pins gets you to 60 yards, instead of 20,30,40,50,60 pins, less confusion, less hassle and faster in the field.