• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TVP "Head Hunter" March 26th and 27th

Re: TVP "Head Hunter" March 26th and 27th

Looks like fun. Too bad everybody didn't get to shoot in a timely manner. I guess you can chalk that up to the popularity of the event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like fun. Too bad everybody didn't get to shoot in a timely manner. I guess you can chalk that up to the popularity of the event. </div></div>

Yeah it was crowded for single shooter per stage but it worked out ok.
My thoughts were to have 2 guys at same time on stage#1 that oughta fit?
However 1 person only at stage #2 would have to stand due to tree limitation.
Then to speed up total match time hows about trying 2,3,or 4 shooters side by side for stages 3 and 4? It wouldnt bother me at all. That would speed it up and allow for more 20 plus competitor days? In the end its all up to Tom but I thought if 20 plus were the norm for these HH shoots a little side by side shooting when possible would help end the day earlier?

My new marketing phrase for the Head Hunter,

HEAD HUNTER... 20 targets, 20 bullets , 20 minutes

Have you got what it takes to be the next Head Hunter?

You know I really like the layout as it is, but I am wondering if it would be possible to shoot two stages simultaneously? Maybe one and two then switch stations, or 4 and two? Not sure how to accomplish that safely and maybe it is something you guys looked at already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know I really like the layout as it is, but I am wondering if it would be possible to shoot two stages simultaneously? Maybe one and two then switch stations, or 4 and two? Not sure how to accomplish that safely and maybe it is something you guys looked at already.</div></div>
This would probably work. As long as they weren't too opposing. lol. But woodspider is right, its all tom's baby, and if he wants it slow, and cold, people will have to just figure out whether they want to stick around that long. But I do think that something needs to be done to quicken the event. 20bullets in 20minutes would only work if you are a crack shot used to running biathalons and shooting on the run. lol. Stage to stage was a hike. I like the new targets though.

I'm all ears...
As for slow and cold... no. We worked out a few bugs the following day and HAD ZERO complaints.
Once again, the Head Hunter is a qualification course not a match..yet. Dont mistake what this course is all about.
And, as for walking it's our only choice till the range dries up. Ruts and hay equipment dont mix and I'm not interested in fixing ruts or washes all summer.
Now, it comes to this. TVP is now excepting 20 pre-registrations for our Head Hunter on April 10th.
We will accept the FIRST 20 entrys only. $20 members $30 non-members. You can pay here and ahead or send your check to TVP.
I'm sure we will have to work out some bugs with this too but it's the only choice we have. This will prevent 30 shooters showing up and only 20 being able to complete the course.
We will find ways to improve time just as we did on our world class course the "Intimidator". But shooting in any angle that could be dangerous to other shooters is completely out of the question.

Count me in.

van

I didn't shoot the HH course yet, but I'm sure it works the same as the Intimidator time-wise, set-up time, etc. The few minutes of shooting get added to set up time, B.S.ing, travel between stages, etc. all add up by the end of the day. As shooters if we can all get our shit together it helps the day move more smoothly. This is no fault of the range, but collectively the shooters control it.

Getting started on time would be a nice change since that rarely happens as there is always someone that needs to check their zero, mount a new scope, or whatever at the last minute. The way I see it you should come to the match ready to go or show up an hour early.

If you the "on deck" shooter have your stuff ready to move into position while those in front of you are packing up. I often already have my scope set for the first target when I lay down.

When you are done get your gear ready to move to the next position.

It seems to me that once to the next position everyone typically gets set up and ready to go pretty quickly, so nothing to add there.

If everyone is on the ball and the match runs smoothly there is still over 6 1/2 hours of just shooting if every shooter uses 5 minutes on each of 4 stations and 20 shooters show up (20 shooters x 20 minutes of shooting time = 400 minutes).

I'm not complaining about anything ...... just trying to point out the obvious facts that this sort of shooting takes a while.

Put me on the list for the 10th

mscott; very well written and I hope everyone understands it. We have tweaked it a little so to speed things up. So there is no surprises you will be shown the targets(first timers) and then when its time to shoot your time will start the second you walk in the position. Your set up time is on the clock

Guys
Post and pm me your name to get on the list

Sure does look like a fun match but no way we'll be able to do it with our guns but we understand it's set up the way it is.

Sure would love to see those heads all disappear, great idea and hope you all have fun. Might even have to come out just to watch it this summer.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure does look like a fun match but no way we'll be able to do it with our guns but we understand it's set up the way it is.Topstrap </div></div>

Surely you could find a rifle somewhere to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now, it comes to this. TVP is now excepting 20 pre-registrations for our Head Hunter on April 10th.
We will accept the FIRST 20 entrys only. $20 members $30 non-members. You can pay here and ahead or send your check to TVP.
I'm sure we will have to work out some bugs with this too but it's the only choice we have. This will prevent 30 shooters showing up and only 20 being able to complete the course.
</div></div>

What is "fair" on pre-registration type events as far as the cut-off time? I know as some events grow it is a necessary evil, but I'm not sure what to think of it. For example a guy says "I'll be there", but doesn't pay ahead of time? Do you give them the benefit of the doubt and let them shoot anyway if he shows up or give the spot to the first 20 that pay?

Just asking because I know the Rayner's tried to do the pre-registration for the Sniper Challenge, but still have one guy that hasn't paid. Should that spot be given to the next shooter on the waiting list?

Opinions????

Set a cut off date , no $$ , move to the next guy in line ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure does look like a fun match but no way we'll be able to do it with our guns but we understand it's set up the way it is.Topstrap </div></div>

Surely you could find a rifle somewhere to use. </div></div>

But wouldn't that make it too easy?

We might look into a rifle this year, Chris expressed an interest in shooting prone after a day shooting at the 234 - 400 yard targets at Rayners with our little 541 22 laying in the weeds and dirt. Surprised me he enjoyed it and was hitting pretty good with it.

I'm afraid I might lose him to the long barrels someday. I have a Weatherby Fibermark in 300 weatherby I might try to sell and look into a savage in 260.

Topstrap

Top,

I see no reason why you couldn't use your short gun on the HH.
You can use a tripod (mine) on three positions and prone on one.
Set-up should not be an issue or time. I would say come and try it and find out. We will make due.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure does look like a fun match but no way we'll be able to do it with our guns but we understand it's set up the way it is.Topstrap </div></div>

Surely you could find a rifle somewhere to use. </div></div>

But wouldn't that make it too easy?

Topstrap </div></div>

Bring one and find out or we can probably dig one up from somewhere. When you clean house and leave everyone else behind I'll admit it was too easy for you.

Hope yau know we are just kidding ya Mike, all shooting at long distances is tough but we gotta have something to prod you guys about or it takes some of the fun out of it. We fully admit we get lucky a lot.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope yau know we are just kidding ya Mike, all shooting at long distances is tough but we gotta have something to prod you guys about or it takes some of the fun out of it. We fully admit we get lucky a lot.

Topstrap </div></div>

Oh, yea. When I start taking this crap seriously I'll get my head examined.

I would say what is "fair" would be to take a man for his word till he proves otherwise. In 9 plus years of running TVP I've been told lots of things and shown the total opposite.
If I was Rayner's..and I'm not..I would move on to the next guy in line unless he TOLD me he would be there or simply go by the rules and move on to the next guy. If there was any doubt I would call or have someone who "knows" him call and verify what's up. I'm sure that would clear it up.
If I was "that" guy I wouldn't have an issue what so ever if they passed me up. If they gave me the benifit of the doubt I'd better show or pay-up if I didn't. I would say that would be fair.
We will be doing a pre-registration here at TVP for our Sniper/shooting match..I use the word sniper loosly.
If there is an issue "I" will address it with the intended shooter.
I'm sure when we pre-register for the HH there will be times that there will be no shows. Then we will have to require pre payment from them if a "pattern" developes but I "will never" make an example out of someone. Things happen and there is miscommunication sometimes between shooters so the world keeps spinning and we wont go out of business if a guy doesnt show a time or two. I hope this sounds fair enough.

PM sent, planning on coming on the 10th if a slot is still available.

See you on 4/10!

Can't wait to get back to TVP!

M Richardson

23 APRIL 2011 HeadHunter After Action Report:
Awesome day of shooting at TVP HeadHunter course of fire! The winds were making it a real challenge. 10mph to 26 mph gusts at times!!
Doping the Wind was the challenge of the day, but a great day to practice windy shooting!

I have a few videos I made sorry for the shaky quality but the wind was shaking the spotter, my camera, and me! I tried...

NOTE when viewing on youtube:
***ITS all HD VIDEO BUT ONLY IF YOU SELECT 720P AS YOUR VIEWING SELECTION ON TIMER BAR!!!720P LOOKS WAY CLEARER BUT TAKES TWICE AS LONG TO LOAD BUT IS WORTH THE WAIT, IF YOUR IN A HURRY LET IT LOAD AS FUZZY 360P A LITTLE LESS CLEAR BUT OK. 720P IS BEST WAY TO WATCH THEM . PAUSE IT LET THE LOAD COMPLETE RED BAR FULL THEN WATCH. *** Also use full screen mode.

Video of Stage #4 Head Hunter at Thunder Valley Precision in Coshocton, Ohio. Wayde 23 April 2011
Really Great shooting Wayde!!! Especially In these sustained 18 mph winds with gusts to 26 on this particular stage!
Watch those heads Flop!
http://www.youtube.com/user/woodspider#p/a/u/0/2YU6zHwSuUw

Video of Stage #3 Head Hunter at Thunder Valley Precision in Coshocton, Ohio. Shooter is DAVE on 23 April 2011
http://www.youtube.com/user/woodspider#p/u/1/JPGj3xPnJ1o