• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TVP "newbe" Range Day June 12th 2010

Tom Sarver

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2007
Coshocton,OH USA
"Newbes"

We will be having a "newbe" range day here at Thunder Valley Precision June 12th 2010 at 8:30 am till dark 30. The class will offer an introduction to short and long range precision shooting. We will start with a safety meeting then go over your equipment. Then check zeros and chronograph for accurate velocity then make drop charts.
Then proceed to the "Intimidator". Here you will learn how to effectively adjust for elevation and windage to more accurately engage targets at great distance. We will accept 20 shooters for this class, 10 two-man teams. PRE-REGISTRAION ONLY. Registration begins May 10..as of now.

For more info please e-mail me at [email protected]
[email protected]
Pm me
or cell contact 740-502-6530

There will be no cost for this class but we will gladly accept donations.

Thanks,
Tom Sarver
TVP

Re: TVP "newbe" Range Day June 12th 2010

Great idea Tom. If ANYONE is looking to get into this totally addictive sport, take Tom up on this. You won't find a better teacher and this will be a stress free atmoshere.

Good call Tom!

Here's your chance guys. Get your name in quick, I'm sure it won't take long to fill up.

Sign me up as a helper.
I can help new guys learn to spot.

Sounds like a great time to be had by all just thinking about coming to a shoot.

Kinda hard to beat the price.

Thanks Tom,

Glen

Actually a pretty good idea for the newbie day. Might be lots of shooters out there that would like to try it but you know how us guys are. Always worried about doing something new for the first time and everyone watching and not wanting to look bad. Every match I attend I have that hanging over my head.

This long range stuff is different than your trip out plinking at tin cans but with a bit of time and having someone show you the basics you can start your learning curve in the right direction and find it's not really that bad. If I can hit a few way out there then anyone can even with average equipment. Don't let your lack of high end gear stop you from participating.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually a pretty good idea for the newbie day. Might be lots of shooters out there that would like to try it but you know how us guys are. Always worried about doing something new for the first time and everyone watching and not wanting to look bad. Every match I attend I have that hanging over my head.

This long range stuff is different than your trip out plinking at tin cans but with a bit of time and having someone show you the basics you can start your learning curve in the right direction and find it's not really that bad. If I can hit a few way out there then anyone can even with average equipment. Don't let your lack of high end gear stop you from participating.

Topstrap </div></div>

Topstrap-

Good post. I think alot of people I talk to are unsure. What Tom is offering is an excellent idea. This should fill up quickly.

van

Perfect. PM sent. This will give me some time to get my new rifle dialed in, and maybe get more suitable glass. Anyone have any scope recommendations? Most I can spend is $350. I was think about the Millet TRS-1, Nikon Buckmaster 6x18 Mil-dot, or a Super Sniper 16x.

Great offer, great range, good chance to come out get some experience.

MDM
Take a look at this scope, Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 Tactical Rifle scope model #325154T
You have to shop around but I found mine for 319.00 at overstock.com But make sure you put at least a 20 moa base under it 30 would be better.
Just something to look at.

Great idea Tom, if you need a hand that day let me know.

Wayde

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to opt for the Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44 with mildot. I was given a great price from a Hide sponser.

Tom,
This is a great idea.
You have some of us willing to drive a few hours, just to help new guys out!
Just another fun day at your range.

New guys,
Bring what you got.
It should be a great day for learning.

I have fun everytime I'm there.

Look forward to seeing you all.

Tom: How many rounds should I make up for the course/training for the day (100-200)????

quick question tom, i have a bad neck so i cannot shoot prone. that being said would using one of the tripod rests like they're using in iraq and afghanistan be acceptable???
i hope so or i will just shoot for fun however i can.
thanks
terry

100-200 rounds is plenty. We will shoot steel/Intimidator. If we have time 1000 yard paper to see how rifles shoot/group and for fun. How many guys have a 1000 yard target with five holes in it hanging in their gargage? I want to take my time with students so you get the most out of the class.

Tom
TVP

Yes, you can use a portable bench at TVP on the steel courses.

I have cleared the social calendar for the day and will be there, rain or shine. I really enjoyed shooting there last Friday and Rodent said it would be an even better experience with Tom around.
If there is space, I have an additional shooter who would like to attend. (aside from 6.5-25wssm from the above post).

WOW Tom, that is a great offer, can't pass that up!

Do you still have any slots open?

I would like to go, but my spotter can't make it. Any chance that you have another single shooter, or are you only signing up teams?

Thanks!
M Richardson

Count me and a friend in.

First post here, been planning on visiting TVP soon so this will be a great way to check out the range and learn a lot too.

I tried sending Tom a PM but his box is full and not accepting any more. His voicemail is full too. So hopefully we can get a slot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Newbes"

We will be having a "newbe" range day here at Thunder Valley Precision June 12th 2010 at 8:30 am till dark 30. <span style="font-weight: bold">We will accept 20 shooters for this class, 10 two-man teams. PRE-REGISTRAION ONLY.</span> Registration begins May 10..as of now.

There will be no cost for this class but we will gladly accept donations.

Thanks,
Tom Sarver
TVP </div></div>

I would call Tom

Got a slot in this shoot,and when I spoke to Tom he thought he would be posting a gear list for us newbies. Since I havn't seen one this is my list. Let me know what I may have missed or don't need.
Scoped rifle, w/zero, 1moa or less
bipod,rear bag, mat
spotting scope data book
200/300 rnds ammo
case to carry it all
food /water
closes for weather if needed

If you have a drop chart for your load, i'd bring it as well. Other than that, you have a solid list.

Keep on planning.
If you are coming as a team, great.
No partner, no problem.

I think Tom didn't put a list up, because you may learn more with what you have, than wish you did.

Thank's to all for a fun weekend!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a slot in this shoot,and when I spoke to Tom he thought he would be posting a gear list for us newbies. Since I havn't seen one this is my list. Let me know what I may have missed or don't need.
Scoped rifle, w/zero, 1moa or less
bipod,rear bag, mat
spotting scope data book
200/300 rnds ammo
case to carry it all
food /water
closes for weather if needed </div></div>

I want to add to your list:

pen
pencil
highlighter
notepad
hearing protection
eye protection
insect repellent
cover for head
chamber flag for semi-auto rifle
more water

I suggest wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt.

I had mentioned a chamber flag,we will want to see bolts out of rifles,throughout the day. The only time one will need a bolt in is at the firing line/position. We will want you to have the bolt out when you arrive to train. We will be checking first thing.

This will be a fun day.

van

Good list van. Only thing I'd add is sunscreen. And more water.

To those folks on the fence, this is a good opportunity at a great range with a great owner & good company of shooters. There's a reason we've been shooting here. Bring what you've got & come out & shoot & learn.

Tom, if you need an RSO or extra guy around, I'd gladly come down a day early to help out. Heck, I'll come down just to listen & learn: I learn something new every time I'm at down @ Thunder Valley.

New to long range precision shooting class update,

The class is now full. We have about 25 shooters as of now.
I just couldn't turn a couple of shooters down for a few reasons so I went over the amount I had said at first. Hope everyone is ok with this and I can explain later if there is an issue. We will be doing this again SOON. There was an overwhelming response and I promise to give all a chance in the VERY near future. I would like to list the names of who is coming but I'm not sure if everyone is ok with this? I had a few shooters e-mail and PM me who asked if they could come and I said YES, but to please let me know if your coming for sure and they did not reply back. So next time we do this I will need a more definite answer as to if your coming or not but I added you in anyway..so thats why we may be over the head count. Again, no big deal.

Things you will need: Just a suggestion..

A sturdy note book medium size. (we may have log books available by then) but bring something to take notes and data just in case.

Cleaning kit/rod
Shooting mat/small blanket/beach towel
Pencils/pen
Scoped rifle with 20 moa base if you have it.. 10X min.
200 rounds ammo min.
bipod/sand bags
portable bench if you need it or have it/we may have one here I hope!
eye/ear protection
bug spray
sunscreen
Hat/cover
pack/range bag
calculator
Ballistic computer (if you have one)
wind meter
WATER and LOTS OF IT/food /small cooler... snacks.. we will eat in the field
small foldable chair..especially if your bringing a older spectator..this will be a long day and even I like to sit down and relax..imagine that..LOL.
camera..for some this will be priceless if it's your first time here.
Clothing? use your best judgement but a light colored long sleeve shirt and pants are good.

I will add to this list if I find I'm missing something of importance later.

Main rule here at TVP is NO BOLTS IN RIFLE unless I say it's ok or on the line. When your called to the line you will be giving the command to insert bolt. When shooting is complete they come out. We will have safety officers watching over you and everyone to enforce this safety rule. You will be directed to a safety officer in charge to inspect your rifle as you enter TVP.
No big deal just a precaution we take in an event like this.

After everyone on the list arrives we will have an introduction and safety meeting.Then pair up/teams. Then we will check zeros for those who need it and make drop charts. We will direct you to what your needs are.
I personally will inpsect your rifle to make sure it's the best it can be for the day..if you wish.
This will be a relaxed environment and NO pressure. This is a learning experience not a competition.
After everyone is ready we will proceed to position ONE of the "Intimidator"
For those who have ridden a large roller coaster..remember the feeling you got climbing that first tall slope..that's the feeling you will get when climb position one and see the view for the first time.
At this point we will be paired up and we will begin engaging targets with intruction of TVP officers, two per team..each individual. Shooting positions and corrections and advice will be given to each individule and ALL questions no matter how minor should be asked and answered. Remember this is your TRAINING day. Get the most out of it you can.
When we are completed with position one we will proceed to pos.2 and so on. We get as far through the course as we can so it will be a long day. Plan on being here from 7:30 am to dark thirty. If your are new this style of shooting you will learn more in one day than in months or years on your own. Others can chime in on their experience since starting to shoot here.
I personally will instruct EACH individual at some point during the day. This is what I enjoy most and I take pride in what I teach. This is an art form once you get to a certain skill level..and there is nothing more beautiful than sound of steel ringing at extended ranges upon your command shot for shot.
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. Spectators such as spouses, children 10 and over and friends and family are very welcome but it will be a long day so let them know..if they are riding with you.

Thanks,
Tom Sarver
TVP

Can someone please post directions from Interstate 77, we will be traveling north form Virginia

Any suggestions on where to spend friday night?
Thanks
Pete & Sid

Tom, I don't care if a name list is posted.

Do you need an extra chrono? I can bring mine and the tripod to help smooth things along in the first stages of the day.

I have extra folding camp chairs, 3 in total, in case someone doesn't have one. EDIT: 1 chair is left, TCA4570 is getting the 2nd, I'm sitting in the 3rd.

Anyone shooting a semi-auto, I have 2 brass catchers that I won't be using this day, send me a PM if you want me to bring them along so finding your brass doesn't require any work.

I'm really looking forward to this day, thanks in advance to Tom and all the guys helping him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blacksmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone please post directions from Interstate 77, we will be traveling north form Virginia

Any suggestions on where to spend friday night?
Thanks
Pete & Sid </div></div>

There are several hotels in Coshocton, about 20 minutes from the range.

Take 77 North, get off at route 36 and go West. 36 will split off and the road will become route 16/83. Just past there is the exit for 541. Turn left and a quarter mile on your right is the Coshocton Village Inn & suites.

You can take 541 to the range. From that hotel, go south on 541. 541 and 93 will join for a short while, just past where 93 splits off is Township road 118 (dirt road), hang a right on that and Thunder Valley will be on the left.

Spotting scopes on taller tripods helps guys learn to spot and find the targets.

You can also learn by watching where others hit and their corrections.

Watching through a plain scope and giving corections, takes a little quick head math.

Does everybody know the ranges of the targets, or do we need to put them up here too?

There are several places to get breakfast there too.
Coshocton Village Inn & suites
Eagles is right there.(7:00am)
Mickey D also.
Recptionist can give the others.

Might want to check around the Newcomerstown exit, if just coming up.

There are a few exits better, but can still get there from there.

Crap. I've only got 98 pieces of brass. After I had intially spoke with Tom, I was thinking 50-100 rnds would be enough. I can't seem to find any 6BR brass in stock anywhere at the moment. I'll just have to make due with what I've got if I can't find anymore. I will have my rifle zeroed and my load chronied prior to coming, so that should save me a few rounds anyway.

Don't worry.
Bring what you have and shoot.
You are GTG for the course.
If you run out of ammo, somebody may let you try something else.
More about having a good time and learning different things.

See you Sat.

Shooters,

Round count of 50-100 should be ok for most. I suggested 100-200 if we have extra time to burn some ammo up at the benches.
A couple of relays from the benches shooting 1000 yards should take very little time...maybe 30 minutes.
Brass will be easy to find, I manicure the greens and grass is about 1 1/2" tall. Staging areas are available and mowed with plenty of room for spectators.
We need two chronos and a couple extra would not hurt.
If you can do this prior it will be a big help in saving time and we can make the drop chart and adjust.
If you have a spotting scope bring it, if you dont mind others looking thru it.
If anyone has any questions/suggestions please ask.

Tom
TVP

No need to post the ranges, I will print the spread sheet I use for everyone. That way after they get their drop chart they can fill them out to help make things go a little smoother.

I wish when I started(last August) long range shooting there was a "Training Day" I could have went to. But at least I did pick the right range to go to, the guys here are second to non and will help you anyway they can. The biggest pointer I can give you for this day is... try to be a sponge. Listen and watch everything you can and soak it in. It will be a great day of learning and fun.

See you there
Breeze

Wished I could be there to help out but I will be in N. Carolina that weekend and back monday. Hope everyone has a great day and we pick up some new competitors for future steel shoots. Goodluck guys ! have fun with it.

Tom,

Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner but I was out of town for work and then went on vacation and managed to delete the message you left before i could write your number down and call back.

Looking forward to the class next week.

Thanks,

Brian Lockard
614-226-5349

Would anyone happen to have LON/LATS or UTM coordinates for TVP just incase??? Fortunately my son lives in Uniontown north of Canton so I can stay there Fri night(comeing from NW Indiana 7 hrs +)It's over a week off and all ready I can't sleep....I'm sooooo looking forward to this, and hope to make the instructors proud. See you all next Sat.

One more question, any cell reception on TVP ranges? My phone will run JBM ballistic calcs from internet browser, if I can get a signal.

40*10'33.56N
81*42'54.70W

i normally have reception there