• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TVP "newbe" Range Day June 12th 2010

Re: TVP "newbe" Range Day June 12th 2010

If guys want to shoot at night it must be a suppressed rifle.

Thanks,
Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh and as far as Yuengling never had it or heard of it. From their website there are different kinds what are you bringing?
</div></div>

Yuengling Lager is the best. I grew up on the stuff and have not had any since I moved out to Ohio. Can't wait to get me hands on some again. I know that Bohem is bringing Lager since I am the one who asked him to bring it.

I am on the list to camp Saturday night, but depending on bohem's plan, I might camp out Friday night as well. I have a grill to bring to help cook for all the people and I will grab some bags of chips. I will get a assortment, plain, BBQ, sour cream and onion, salt and vinegar, etc.

Don't know how long it will take to drive there but I plan on leaving no later than 4pm. Possibly earlier, if no one is around, I'll just hang out, no problem!

Bohem: Call your examiner ask ask to have them sign and refax the 5320.20 back to you. Also date it so you can use it for 12 months.

Well if camping is a go on friday night, I will toss up a tent. I will contribute any needed food items, (I have a crap load of deer meat from WY hunting this year I can bring along for grilling). Count me in for the camping!!!! PM me for a Phone number.

Sounds like we may have a couple hours before it gets dark.
As Tom said, quiet guns only after dark.
Shoot off the benches to a mile, or maybe some of the short course? We can figure it out as we go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Breeze I got the buns and chips , Pickin up some kick ass beer sticks from the local butcher to top off the beans. Got any guess on how many buns??? Four eight paks give us 32 that enough? </div></div>

I'm bringing 3 eight packs of hot dogs and dgunn is bringing 4-5lbs of hamburger so adjust bun count to what you think is good. Figure my ignorance big what is beer sticks?(brats)

Yuengling Lager might try one but have never been a fan of Lager. I'll bring something for myself just in case.

Looks like we are up to about 7 or 8 camping on Friday and at last count it was 10 for Saturday.

This is going to be a great weekend. Thanks Tom

I'll pack some extra charcoal for friday.
Too much to do, too little time.
Just picked up chrony and tripod from Bro.

Beersticks I had were kinda like smokies.

Please have your bolt out before you show up.
Tom is doing this for us.
His rules.
1 safety.
2 no driving on the greens.
3 have fun!

Thanks.

Will try for camping on Friday, depends what time work finishes up. Def camping on Sat. & shooting Sunday. Will bring things to add to the food & beverage pile.

See you guys Saturday morning-

Tom,

Sounds like you need to put in a couple "hook ups" and open a camp ground!

Beer Sticks are hickory smoked beef sticks med & hot. meant to top off the gas fumes from the beans

Charcoal is loaded.
Grates for brinkman also.

Cooking and BS'ing Friday night.
Priceless.
Thank-you Tom.

No need for "hook-ups"
Many places near to do that.

Sorry to be late to the game, I should have been keeping up with the topic.

If it is OK, I would like to join you guys on FRI night for the camping. I can bring food, drinks, and whatever else you need.

I hope to be rolling into the area between 19:00-20:00, I have a 4-5 hour drive depending on how traffic goes.

Thanks in advance, look forward to shooting with everyone soon.
Mike Richardson

See you Friday night Mike. Are you camping Saturday night?

Everyone just a reminder you will need food and drinks to get you through Saturday. But we should have plenty of food for Saturday night.

Don't forget a chair

I was not originally aware of the TVP Match on Sun (stupid me, I should have looked at the schedule!), so I was planning on coming back home Sat night and shooting a local F-Class Match on Sunday.

Now that I am aware of the TVP Match on Sun, I may just stay and shoot it instead.

I have to check with the Local Match Director here to make sure my "No Show" will not be an issue.

See you guys tomorrow night, thanks in advance,
Mike Richardson

Burgers and dogs for Friday night then.
I'll have the cheese and toppings.
Sounds like you guys have the rest taken care of.
Coffee is covered for the mornings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burgers and dogs for Friday night then.
I'll have the cheese and toppings.
Sounds like you guys have the rest taken care of.
Coffee is covered for the mornings.
</div></div>

Nobody said we were cooking Friday <span style="font-weight: bold">just Saturday</span>

I went to the 100yd range this evening to make my final preparations for Saturday. After shooting at 300yd steel a couple of days ago, I had a sneaky suspicion my zero was 1 click off to the left. So I went tonight just to verify and sure enough, it was off a click. I got that corrected. My loads are chronied and my drop charts are made. I'm ready for an education on Saturday. Hope the weather cooperates, calling for 60% chance of scattered t-storms. See you all Saturday morning.

MDM
We will confirm your drop chart at 600 and 1000 and fine tune it.

I get wet every day in the shower and I have oil for my rifles.

A raining day at the range is better than sitting on the couch.
Can I get an Amen

See you soon
Wayde

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breeze67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MDM

A raining day at the range is better than sitting on the couch.
Can I get an Amen

</div></div>

Amen

That big umbrella and stand have a permanent spot in my truck for the matches. Wouldn't be natural if it didn't rain some and even better if you throw in some lightning and big winds for ambience.

Topstrap

Rain-Lightning-Wind ???

Who is mentioning that stuff? I know I don't even want to discuss the stuff. It may happen. It may not happen either.

van

I know a few shoots that show up for matches even when they are calling for crappy weather. And we learn something from it too. Five or six of us shot in 25-35mph wind and side ways rain. We have also showed up and it turned out to be a beautiful day. Which brings me back to my previous post.... its better than sitting on the couch.

See some of you tonight and the others tomorrow morning

Wayde

Well unfourtunately I am not going to be able to make it out tomorrow due to a work issue. This really sucks I had everything ready to go I even went out and got a new mount for the dragunov in 308 so I could put my super sniper scope on it. Oh well what can you do hopefully Tom will do another one in july and with luck I will make that one instead. Have fun guys and try to stay dry.

.....yup.....now I have to add to my honey's honey do list....yup

hook__line__sinker_.jpg

A big THANK YOU to Tom and the rest of the guys at TVA [Karl, Glen, Wade, Chris, and Jim = I think the barefoot guy.....and anyone else I missed....

..hope to make it out in a couple of weeks....my partner and I have a control panel to ship out Monday....and then some programming for 2 weeks...

..btw..if you guys sees Rodent.....don't tell him I pulled a "Rodent" during the 1st position....
grin.gif

Glen - I think you left a camera in my truck. It's a black Canon Powershot. Whomever's camera it is, PM me your name and address and I will send it out to you Priority Mail.

Had a good time, learned alot, and gained alot of confidence in my little 6br too. Hope to get back out there soon.

I'm curious to see what the mock scores were for the day if anyone has that info. Thanks to everyone.

Had a GREAT time yesterday!! Thanks to Tom and all!

Can't wait until I can go again, just gotta find a (REAL) 20 MOA base for my Savage that I can afford. (Bought one that the gun store said was 20 MOA, had my doubts, I was right!)

Don

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad, not enough time to get the paperwork cleared to cross state lines with a can, maybe next time. </div></div>

You don't need paperwork to take a suppressor across state lines as long as it is legal to own in the state you are going to. The ATF website lists destructive devices, machineguns, short-barreled shotguns, and short-barreled rifles as items that need approval.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glen - <span style="color: #FF0000">I think you left a camera in my truck. It's a black Canon Powershot.</span> Whomever's camera it is, PM me your name and address and I will send it out to you Priority Mail.</div></div>

yes he did....I suppose after the long and exciting day..I,too had a momentary lapse of something...

I left at around 9:05PM.....I got 20 minutes down the road...started thinking about reloading...then I REALIZED that I had left my other backpack with my cleaning supplies and empty brass cases...

..I had to turn around and drive back to TVP...I saw Glen...he said he thought he left his camera in someone's vehicle...

..what should have been a 55 minute drive home turned into a hour and a half..

..anyways...no harm no foul...can't wait for the pics to get posted...

Wanted to give a BIG thanks to TOM and Breeze and all the other guys at TVP who instructed NEWBE DAY at TVP. I was learning something every minute saturday, Tom is a great instuctor and surrounds himself with some top notch shooters.

Thank you again
I will be back to the range..Definetly want to try some of that night shooting !!
Tom I will definetly contact you on my next NFA purchase

Tim

Hope another one can be scheduled soon. If so I am in plus one other.

i wana see some pics!

hopefully my rifle will be done by the time the next one rolls around, its currently at SAC

Huge Thanks to Tom and ALL the guys from Thunder Valley!! Pictures don't do this place justice! Words don't desribe the knowlege and experience walking around that place! Learned I've got some work to do and can't wait to go back. I also experienced the second meaning of "THUNDER VALLEY" on Sat night while sleeping,check that,trying to sleep under the covered firing positions. and YES it does rain sideways in Ohio. (Note to self) next time if camping bring a small tent and don't try to be hard ass and sleep though an Ohio thunder storm with no cover!! Thanks again to ALL hope to see you soon.

Craig

Tom your PM's full so I'll ask you hear. Got my shooting partner fired up for a July Newbe shoot if you have one. If it happens I'd like to shoot w/ him even if it cost me, and if there's room. Thanks again for a Great Day

PM sent Thank-you.(camera)

This was only possible to do because of Tom.
We are all newbies this weekend.
It is also a club at the same time.
We were just members, that wanted to help others out.

It may have gotten intense at times, but we did what what we planned to do.

We all agreed that shooting paper @ 1000 yards after, would be cool.

I apolligize for not explaining more, but we were all thrown in
a situation at the same time.

How many were able to shoot more after?

Many!

Great weekend guys. Thanks to all for making this happen. See you guys again in 2 weeks! I'd encourage anyone who seriously wants to learn about LR shooting to come out give it a shot. Mistakes will be made, things will be learned, and lots of fun will be had.

Any pictures? I would like to see what I missed out on
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisdx3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any pictures? I would like to see what I missed out on
frown.gif
</div></div>

Pics could only try to describe!

Being there was IT!

To guy's that were there, what was your most priceless moment?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To guy's that were there, what was your most priceless moment?</div></div>

...putting (5) shots into an 8" group at 1,000 yards....(4) into 5" and (3) into 2 & /2"...

My DOPE was

22.1 MIN UP

2.25 MIN RIGHT

..before yesterday.....I would have NEVER BELIEVED I could have ever done that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In real life you are barely ever going to have a chance to go prone. Unknown distance targets would have been great to practice miling and range estimation. The ranges were given, but a few too many were changed quite a few times and had huge effects on dope. Lasing and GPSing the targets would be nice. Bash me for bitching if you want, but these are meant to be constructive thoughts.</div></div>

..not bashing....but my intentions for long-distance shooting is STRICTLY to improve my hunting skill sets.

..hunting for four-legged varmints of the g'hog variety!

...so, I do laser range find my targets...most groundhogs DO NOT let you fire 1 or 2 sighters first...in this game, FIRST SHOT ONE KILL RULES...

...and I do assume the prone position...this year I set my personal best on a groundhog at 722 yards.

I now feel that if I am presented with a groundhog at 1,000 yards and beyond, I will drive a 140 gr. Berger through that poor sucker...
shocked.gif

Had a great time yesterday with you guys!

I'm now a lot more confident in my abilities and my equipment after spending a day at TVP. Before yesterday the longest I had ever shot was 300 yards! The first target we engaged was 550 yards and I made a hit on it, the longest steel target I got was at 775 yards, at the end of the day I put all five rounds in the benchrest target at 1000! To say the least I was stoked!

I'll be stopping by to do some more shooting soon.

Thanks for putting this on for us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's one of the only ranges in Ohio to provide distances and there are people seeking training in other skillsets, that are just not offered.</div></div>

..simple solution...when you engage a position with (4) targets...if you want..do not communicate the "known ranges" to those shooters who want to further their skill in range estimation...I think the steel plates were 12" x 12"..if they have a reticle on their scope which affords some sort of ranging ability..then they should be good to go..

agree?

Bush, why don't you come out and shoot the intimidator with us next Sunday. Even though the distances are known, the time issue and wind make it a huge challenge and rush. The intimidator, shooting as a timed team is an excellent rifle competition.

I'll need a shooting pardner so you can shoot with me.

Come to one of our "Intimidator" steel shoots and compete...if that's what your looking for.
Can't think of a better way of competing than to engage 4 12"x12" targets at various distances and wind conditions 276 yards to 1165 yards for top score and time. We used to do unknown distance and it takes way too much time for a match.
If your looking for training we can do that as I explained in our meeting. Any match here should be considered training unless you can shoot the course with a perfect score many times. As for needed stress..if you try to beat the time records here then you will be stressed..not to mention shoot the same scores the time limit record hold. Do you have experience in stress type long range precision shooting training? How were your scores on the known distance targets?
What is your name so I can look at the score sheet?

Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pos 1: 550-950-1165-875
pos 2: 550-865-670-775
pos 3: 275-365-570-1040
pos 4: 570-505-729-592

these are what we recorded with the vectronix.

hope this helps and good shooting!

</div></div>

This was the post where I got the distances last year and a few tweaks from other shooters.
Its what I have been shooting. I guess I learned a few things this weekend.

To everyone that came out this weekend,I hope you had a good time and learned something. Come back and see us

j14yna.jpg

ru68a9.jpg

2ljrfv7.jpg

1z6vclf.jpg

54bx5l.jpg

w7exqx.jpg

zvohgp.jpg

I'll put up some more Later

Saturday start to end was priceless. The amount of information and techniques you learn was amazing and that started before I even pulled my rifle out of the case. Being around shooters with this knowledge that were willing to go prone right next to you and teach you was awesome. A few of us showed up with are longest shot being 100 yards, we left there with knowledge to take a 1000+ yard shot, that was priceless,.

Man! That was one hell of a weekend!

Thanks a million to Tom, all of the folks who helped, and all of the other shooters for an outstanding time.

Without a doubt the TVP Range is a world class training location, it offers a lot of opportunities that you just can’t get anywhere else, whether it is distance, varying winds, or different shooting positions.

The individuals who helped Tom out are a bunch of world class shooters and instructors, if you have questions they will get you the answers. They are an outstanding group who are very down to earth, very willing to share what they know, and have a genuine interest in making everyone a better shooter.

I hate making the 4 plus hour drive, but having been there and done that, I would honestly make an 8-12 hour drive to get a chance like that. I hope to make it back many more times!

Thanks again to everyone, best of luck,
M Richardson