• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Twin 7WSMs from GAP

dyoung

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
CA
Had some bad luck a while back...lost my dog unexpectedly...who was my best friend. Then George delivered my twin 7WSMs that he build himself. Wanted to share pics and my new pup too. I still mss my buddy but things are looking up. Couldn't ask any more from George and GAP these babies are chambered itdentical...I am trying to get them to shoot the exact same load...getting close.

Thanks George for picking up my spirits!

Top one: Surgeon 591, McMillian A3 EDGE, Badger M5 BM, Jewell trigger, 24" Bartlein 5 R 1:8.7, Thruster brake, 5-25X56 S&B, 12 lbs scoped with empty clip and stock pack.

Bottom one: GAP Templar, McMillian Hunters EDGE, Badger M5 BM, Jewell trigger, 24" Bartlein 5 R 1:8.7, Vias brake, 2.5-10 NF, 8.5 scoped with empty clip.

7WSMTwins-1.jpg

7WSMLightweightbestgroup.jpg

7WSMSurgeonbest5group.jpg

7WSMSurgeonbestgroup-1.jpg

NewPudelpointerpup.jpg

Re: Twin 7WSMs from GAP

Congrats on the rifles and the new dog - looks like all are keepers:)

Sure do like that bottom rifle, make a heck of a hunting rig I bet!!

Nice rifles! Congrats on the new pup. Nothing fills the hole left behind like another one!

nice rifles. I am about to pull the trigger on a 7mm WSM myself. I am just finalizing the specs.

What is the barrel contour of those rifles?

Is the hunter what GAP calls the non-typical contour? I have a 300WSM I have been wanting to have re-barreled. It looks like you have a great pair of rifles.

Is that a Wirehair or a DD pup?

Thanks everybody.
hgr2...yes I believe GAP calls what I have a "non-typical". I probably could have got it a little lighter but did not want to put the very thinest barrel on a 7WSM.

I had planned this two rifles for a long time...now with my GAP 338L I think I got it covered for a while.

Pink...that pup is a Pudelpointer...it is an amazing breed....mellow like a lab in the house...not high strung at all...most affectionate breed I have ever had. What is unique is the intelligence and "personality" of this breed. It will point birds and bust water for ducks.

I'm very happy you've found a new pup to fill the void of the other one. The new dog will never be the exact same as the last one but will bring you a lot of fun and excitement. Hope the best for you in training the pup. I trained mine and loved every moment doing so.

Been meaning to ask you experienced shooters why I consistently get a flyer out of a group of 5 shots....can seem to figure that one out.

And blackblue...I am so sorry to hear about your dog too. Take some time and get back on the horse.

There are many variables that can make that happen. Best thing to do is have someone watch you shoot (that knows what they are doing) and give you pointers. You could be flinching if you haven't shot a lot.

I am running close to the same load on my 7WSM (66.7 of 4831SC) and it would group like that at short range but would shoot much better at distance. Some people think the VLDs don't stabilize fully at short distance. How I did my load works was to get it close at 100 and finish the load work out to distance, 300+ yards.

thanks Bacarrat....I'll try at distance.

Nice rifles and caliber. I'm waiting on my 7mm WSM build with 28" barrel with Mcmillian A5 for my heavy mostly prone long distance precision rifle.

Depending on how that goes, I'm planning for a lighter shorter barreled rifle in the same caliber for hunting.

Those look like some hot loads with impressive velocities. Any signs of high pressure with brass?

Good-looking rifles, great shooting, beautiful puppy. You've got everything going for you in the right direction.

One thing though, it's called a magazine, not a clip.
wink.gif

Does anyone make hi quality brass for the WSM?? Just asking as I had bad luck with brass life in WW 270 WSM brass when I had one. That gun made me pledge never to buy another Kimber as I could never it get it shoot right with the factory barrel and a bunch of work. Z

Thanks for the kind words guys....sorry I was out of town for a while.

vkc...as far as my load workup...I started at 62 and worked my way up and surprisingly the groups got better in the 2950-3050 fps sweet zone people talk about. My rifles seem to group better fast. I shot 200 rounds so far in temperatures as high as 98 degrees and out of 200 only 3 had any pressure marks on the brass. No severe sticky bolt lift issues but I will be honest there is were a few that I can notice slight resistance on bolt opening. I know I am at the upper limits of where I want to go. I hear of folks shooting 180s over 3100 but that is not in my plans.