• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

twist rate for ar 15

johnnyappleseed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Cody, Wyoming
to properly stabilize a sierra 65 grain spitzer boat tail .224 bullet

1 in 8"?

i'm lookin' for a complete upper but so far everything available has been a 1 in 9" twist

will a 1 in 9 cut it?

thanx

Last edited:
1:9 will work fine for that bullet. I wouldn't worry about 1:8+ unless I was shooting heavier than 75grn

Last edited:
I did this about two weeks ago with my rock river EOP varmint 18" bull barrel in 1:8 twist. With vortex 4-16x50 PST FFP scope. 10 total shots at 300yards and this was with no real wait time between rounds and groups. Just me having fun at the range. Works out to about .525moa which is not bad for 10rounds at 300yards. What I find amazing about this 60gr hornady vmax bullet is its not boat-tail.

IMG_5960_zps744498e5.jpg

what distance elfster

Last edited:
this is with my dpms 3G1 18" stainless heavy barrel in 1:8 twist and 68grn hornday match HPBT

not bad for a 1-4 power vortex scope at 100yards, 10 total shots:
IMG_5958_zps5b4ff10d.jpg

"what distance elfster"

my scope has a reticle up to 600 yards so i hope that far

i'm basically gonna try to get an ar upper or just a barrel worked around the bullet

anybody know who's got something for sale?

A complete 1:9 will work for that but my most accurate rifles have all been 1:8 and stainless.

PKfirearms and Palmettostatearmory have had some uppers in stock from time to time but none of them with bolt carriers I don't think. So you'd have to source a BCG for it.

If you wanna pay a grand it looks like rainier has a 16" stainless upper from syrac ordnance that would do what you want

edit: my advice is to find something 1:8 stainless that is free floating, m4 feedramps, 556 or wylde chamber, no longer than 20", and no heavier than an HBAR profile. To do that you'll probably have to piece it together yourself and it'll take a month or two to get the parts unless you get lucky

Last edited:
i think 1:9 should work, but I tell ya..... I have two AR rifles in 1:8 twist and they kick ass with 60grn vmax

Agree with you big time elfster; I also have a RRA with a 1:8 twist, my model is the 24" bull barreled EOP model and after feeding it some black hills 60 grain vmax I have honestly never looked back. that rifle absolutely loves that little bullet, I have no reason or interest in shooting any other bullet for what I use it for cause it just runs like a dream!

Agree with you big time elfster; I also have a RRA with a 1:8 twist, my model is the 24" bull barreled EOP model and after feeding it some black hills 60 grain vmax I have honestly never looked back. that rifle absolutely loves that little bullet, I have no reason or interest in shooting any other bullet for what I use it for cause it just runs like a dream!

LOL, I think we are both on the same page!! and i'm still working on load development for this kick ass bullet. I just hope I have enough to get the load fine tuned.
IMG_5972_zpsb4c2052a.jpg

Last edited:
DPMS 3G1 is 18" heavy barrel stainless in 1:8 twist & vortex pst 1-4 w/capped turrets scope and 2"cant vortex 1pc mount,,,,,, and rock river EOP is 18" bull barrel cryo treated stainless in 1:8 & vortex pst 4-16x50 ffp scope with vortex "seekins" LOW rings.

IMG_5857_zps0abb0fa1.jpg

IMG_5855_zps13c70410.jpg

90percent of our uppers are 1/7"twist barrels, but for those carbines just shooting police loads, they get 1/9" twist rate. Point is, 72 grain is where we start seeing issues between the two barrels. I shoot 80 grain Bergers in Highpower matches with my 7 twist and 50-67 grain bullets with the 9 twist.