• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Twist rates for .22LR

Re: Twist rate for .22LR to shoot 60gr subsonics

And the CCI 40 grain subsonics? I've read they are fine with the 16twist. Can anyone confirm they use those? I've heard good things about them.

Anyone know what twist shorts like? I'm not sure what bullet weight/length they are, but theyre tiny.

Kew308, does it shoot the much lighter bullets okay too?

Thanks guys

1:16 twist will probably be fine for almost everything you mentioned Except the 60g Aguila SSS. I've shot these through my Savage M2-FV and they did ok (even had some .6 inch groups) out to about 50 yards...keyholes @ 100 and a 3 inch group to go along.

I'm still undecided on whether these really do anything that can't be done some other way. For intance, if you have a barrel that will shoot them, you can turn your .22 LR into a 100 yard coyote killer, but then you could do that with a 40g Velocitor too.

Where they MAY really shine is in effectively engaging medium sized varmints (groundhog, coon, rabbits, etc...) and steel @ long rimfire ranges. The heavy bullet really does kill Very well in my experience @ short ranges and should carry its energy well out past the point @ which hyper-velocity rounds are starting to run out of steam...and not be affected by the wind nearly as much en route to the target. Also, the usual benefits of sub-sonic ammo apply; attach a can and this would be a hard-hitting, very quiet round for pest control in the suburbs and of course never goes transonic if you were interested in shooting long. BTW, bear in mind that this is a 60 grain projectile starting @ around 950 fps; it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's gonna drop like a rock. You'll need a LOT of internal adjustment to compensate for 200 yards and beyond.

You need to ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish and if this is really the way to do it.

Look forward to hearing how it all works out!

I fully intend to set up a rifle to shoot these some day, I'm quite intrigued by them and want to do a lot more experimentation.

Best of Luck,
-The Kid.

Haven't. Shot any high velocity rounds like CCI Stingers in it, but mini-mag HP still shoot satisfactory. It loves the Winchester subsonic hollowpoints. Made some long headshots squirrel hunting this year.

I've shot plenty of the cci 40subsonics out of my 10/22 and TC Benchmark, love them. Accurate as all get out and kill racoons without an issue, just had a hard time finding them. I've tried those 60 grainers and really just don't care for them, quite fincky in both of my guns with a large amount of failure to feeds.

Been using some eley and wolf match target ammo and that stuff isn't loud at all if not sub sonic in sound quality. And does this stuff shoot!

1/16 is the typical standard for most barrel makers.

Shorts shoot out of a 16 twist also. My 62 shoots everything well and is a 1-16

i have an SP1 1:12 twist barrel cut down for a dedicated 22LR SBR and it works great

The 1-16" shoots the 40gr CCI subsonics great. I was getting 1/4" groups at 30 yards while sighting it in. It could easily have held that at 50 if I was on a bench.

Our Quantum barrels use a 15.8 twist, and a short would like to see a 1:18 or perhaps even a 1:20 twist. What is more important about a rimfire barrel, is the grooves design and dimension and the bore dimension. Then of course there are well over 5,000 documented chamber profiles for the 22lr.
I use the CCI Standard velocity, it shoots amazingly from a chamber made for the CCI family of ammos, the CCI subsonic however, is larger in diameter and will oftentimes not want to chamber in a good chamber, and in a blowback, that is not a good thing. The CCI Standard run subsonic as well at about 1070. Their Pistol Match is also another good choice for an accurate subsonic round. As far as the 60 grain SSS ammo goes, I have all but given up on it, it never seems to work the same way twice. A 40gr bullet will shoot nicely in a 1:9 twist barrel, no problem, it is more important to hit than to have an abundance of weight, with that the incredible accuaracy of a well put together package shooting 40gr stuff is where it always seems to land.