• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two piece Picatinny rails vs 1 piece for my M40a1 inspiration and recoil lugs.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Ok, so I’ve decided to go with modern glass and mounting systems.

I have two candidates for one piece rails.

One is the IOR. It’s 0 MOA, lays flat, has the receiver cut out. If I need more elevation, I’ll have to use Burris rings with the inserts. IOR

Next is the Area 419. It’s a 20moa base but without the slots in the middle. It’s clean looking imo and has a recoil lug. How important is this? They have both slotted and smooth pictured. Area 419

Finally the two piece bases. There are a couple out there with 20 MOA built in, NF, Tactical Operations (24 MOA) and Leupold has the 0 MOA mk4 two piece.

The two piece is the cleanest look and getting the 20 MOA is a bonus. Why do people use these, weight savings, or vanity like I’m considering?

So, is the recoil lug worth it? What will I be giving up in your opinion by going two piece?

Anything else?

Thanks,
Paul

Reactions: LG65CM
IOR-anything sucks.
If you're actually intending to shoot the rifle, and you're not using a Leupold M3, get a 20 moa base. Area 419 is OK but so are Badger, Nightforce, Seekins. etc.
You should be thinking a couple of steps above Burris for rings.
Finally, two-piece bases will have some degree of misalignment (not in manufacturing, but how you mount them and your receiver tolerances), especially angled ones.

Burris XTR rings are a very good step up when using two piece bases.
First hand experience.
Perhaps not on a Tac Ops Tango but short of that I would bet them to correct a problem.

Recoil lugs are OK if you're going to toss your rifle off a moving truck or something. Otherwise, screws and Loctite are more than good enough for 99.9999999999% of us to keep the scope bases where they should be.

Nothing the matter with having one, however the lack of one is an absolute non-issue.

Well after much research, the two piece offerings didn’t have enough rail slots for my needs. I’m running a smallish Bushnell 10x40 for the time being and it just won’t work out for me.

I went with the 419 rail. I think it a good compromise. It should allow easy access to the blind mag and will allow me to use the quality rings I already own.

I was going to say two piece if they leave you enough room for forward/rearward movement to get the scope properly distant from your eye.