• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Two Rifles for Two Boys!

Cigarcop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
Pottstown, Pa
Well I've been wanting to build some of my own stuff for some time now but being a Cop and a Carpenter leaves me with little machinging skills...well lets face it ZERO so what the hell lets buy a Lathe and have at it!!
I decided to build two rifles in .308 for my son Cole and Godson Zach as gifts before this coming hunting season. They had no idea they were getting these...with the help from Ozzie Suarez & Jon Beanland and a few others here this was possible.
These were complete builds from start to finish so I had to make some jigs along the way and lots of other things.
The builds consisted of Remington actions, Bartlien Barrels cut to 22", PTG Recoil Lugs, HS Precision DBM, HS Stock for Zachs and a Manners for Cole, both have factory triggers adjusted to 2lbs.

As stated this was my first time for everything from Chambering, crowning, bedding, Cerakoting, you name it but I think they turned out pretty good.

Some steps along the way

Truing the action, threads were opened up to 1.075

AJig-1.jpg

true2.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

Boltjig2.jpg

Dialing in the Barrel

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

Bedded both rifles with Pillars, no Mill yet so working on my Press with Rotary table had to do...just lots of finger turning!!

colesbedjob.jpg

Wanted to Cerakote everything and have only done some small parts in the past so building an oven was in order. I bought a stack on safe, insulated it with Fiberglass Foil Ducting board, then covered it with 5/8 Fireboard. Ordered some controlling parts and an oven element rigged 220V and walla worked like a charm...Takes about 15 minutes to reach 250 and stays right there. Thanks Sean for the heads up on the controller and some tips!

oven2.jpg

Re: Two Rifles for Two Boys!

Alright and finally the finished product and results

Coles rifle
IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Zach's rifle

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Like I said this was the first time I trued an actions so I was curious how they would shoot so I took some Fed GM out and they both shot great..heres Coles target @ 100 Yrds

IMG_0319.jpg

Cole got his this past weekend and Zach will get his this weekend.

It was all worth while when I got a big hug and an I love you from him!

Colerifle1.jpg

Once again Thanks Ozzie and Jon for all your help it means alot to me to get this kind of help from you guys!

Awesome job Keith!!

Now, when they kill a big ole buck this year with those rifles, it'll be something the 3 of you will never forget!!

Dearest Dad

You forgot about your other loooong lost son Jasonk. It's ok, I won't hold a grudge, just send my rifle ASAP.

You're favorite other son.
Jasonk

laugh.gif

Excellent job my friend, that is some damn fine work!!

great job. pics are good, but no where near what they look like in person. some lucky boys there.

have to ask. what was the final shirt count with oil spots? LOL

No special school, training, experience working for Nasika Bay for 10 years, or the Marines as a rifle builder, and yet here you are. Great looking, well finished, and extremely accurate rifles anyone would be proud to own. Boy, those are some blessed kids, and a great dad/godfather who thinks of others more than himself to the point that his first builds were gifts. I can only wish to be half the man you are. Great work, and I'm proud to say I know you!!! Enjoy those rifles, and your boys in good health. Thank you very much Keith!!!

Did you do the engraving yourself too? If you did what did you use?
They both look great!

For someone with "no skills", that is a mighty impressive group.
You did a fantastic job.

I'd love to be able to do that one day too.

Those are awesome! That is great that you were able to do it all yourself. Congrats!!!!!

Oven looks great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> insulated it with Fiberglass Foil Ducting board, </div></div>

Where did you find this product?

You have an eye for detail...and two lucky boys!

Keith, All i can say is Wow! You did an excellent job. The smile on Cole's face says it all. That make it all worth while doesn't it. Those boys are lucky to have a dad like you. You are a great guy and it has been a pleasure to talk with you and get to know you the past few years. Everything your doing looks top notch to me. I know people that have been building rifles for years that can't touch what you have accomplished in this short time. Great Job!

Hell ya....way to go
Nice example of an American with set a goal and achieve it in good order

I have been considering starting out light myself with larger item cerakoting jobs.

How much did it cost you to construct that oven? (parts list with prices would be awesome). I havent priced vertical ovens.

Great job! South Bend heavy 10's rule. Everything looks incredible. Really like the 'brass cups' on the bolt jig. Please post more pics of the lathe, set-ups and jigs.

Thanks for all the kind words guys....it def was rewarding seeing everything come together in the end. I learned alot and want try some different set ups next time around.

My next machine will be a nice Mill, been searching for a Bridgeport in good shape thats not too far away from my location.

yeah the smile on Coles face made it all worth while
smile.gif

Thanks again!

Rifles look great, I know they are proud!

This is great. My son is two but I hope to some day be able to put a smile on his face like this. The title should read "making memories"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dearest Dad

You forgot about your other loooong lost son Jasonk. It's ok, I won't hold a grudge, just send my rifle ASAP.

Jasonk

laugh.gif

Excellent job my friend, that is some damn fine work!! </div></div>

I'll settle for red headed step child if the position is open.

Seriously though, The finish quality of your machining is very impressive.

That's an incredible project you did there! Turned out very nice and I'm sure they will cherish those rifles for a lifetime, I know I would.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oven looks great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> insulated it with Fiberglass Foil Ducting board, </div></div>

Where did you find this product?

</div></div>

Mark I got it from a Heating & Cooling Supply place. It comes in a 4x10 sheet and was 1" thick for about 30 bucks, heres a pic. I have about 450 into the oven itself.

IMG_0320.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dearest Dad

Jasonk

laugh.gif

Excellent job my friend, that is some damn fine work!! </div></div>

I'll settle for red headed step child if the position is open.

Seriously though, The finish quality of your machining is very impressive. </div></div>

I told Jason I'd build him a Tactical Muzzleloader, wait till he shows up with the OL Smokepole at the next match to bang steel!!!

Seriously though thanks again guys!

Awesome-looking work there, sir! I hope to do the same for my son some day, but that's another 12-14 years away. At the rate at which I complete my hobby projects, I might as well start tomorrow
wink.gif

Thanks.

That is exactly what I was visualizing would be the correct thing to use.

I've looked for it online but couldn't find any place that didn't require me to buy a truck load or want more than the product cost to ship it.
I'll try calling some places here in town to see if that is a better approach.

Those are some really nice rifles you built for your sons.
They are fortunate to have a parent such as you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanna job?
smile.gif

Very nicely done. </div></div>

Thanks Chad, I wish I was closer, the morning drive would kill me..LOL!

2nd rifle delivered to Zach tonight.
It did however take him some time to see it had his name on it and realize it was his...then it was nothin but smiles!!

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

I wish I had the means to do something awesome like that for my boys. Great Daddy.

Excellent work Keith and your a great guy to spend your time and effort to build 2 nice quality rifles for 2 youg men to enjoy and keep the sport alive.. Love those smiles on those youg mens faces....it tells the whole story.

great job!! Were did you find your lathe. I would also like to have a heavy 10. Or is that a clausing? Either way, i really want to upgrade to an american made machine. Lee

Great job you did for those young men you will always be number 1# with them.Now how about doing something for an old man and i am not fusee ether 308 Bruxs barrel 24",manners t3 stock,Rem Action is OK,Fat Basterd break and what ever you think it needs. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT GOOD TASTE.OH YA Can I have it for this year hunting season. "LOL" Great job Congrats.

Well done Dad! Those boys will never forget this as long as they live. More than just the rifles, you are creating a legacy in the example that you are providing to them through your actions.

TN