• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two Rifles or One Rifle with 2 Barrels?

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
I got the OK to spend the Tax Return this year along with alittle savings thrown in. So budget $7K's for the rife/rifle's.

Now I have been thinking a TRG42 in 338lapua, and a TRG22. I would come in under budget for both, and allow Accesories like bipod and muzzle break to take up the rest.

However I recently started looking at the DTA SRS package with a 308 and 338lapua conversions. This would take up my budget as well.

I like the idea of two seperate rifles cause I try to bring others along when I hit the range. But I also like the fact that the DTA is so short, especially with the 26" 338 barrel, which would be be alot handier with a suppressor attached.

I also plan on getting supressors for both. I have a 7.62SDN on order, and will be ordering a 338 can as soon as I decide what rifle I am going to buy.

Re: Two Rifles or One Rifle with 2 Barrels?

I like the fact that the DTA with a 26" barrel and suppressor would be about the same length as the TRG's 27" barrel sans brake.

i would buy the 22 and 42 without a 2nd thought . every time i shoot a trg i wonder why i went thru the hassle of building custom rifles . the dta has a great reputation , but doesnt suit me very well . if you can, get your hands on a dta and trg and see which fits you best .

That might be a problem with trying to feel out a DTA. I know TRG's are fairly easy to find on the shelf, but I have never seen a DTA in person before. At lease not around here.

I have the DTA in 308 and 338 with a hendsholt 6-24x56 scope. It shoots 1/2 groups @ 300yds consistantly and return to zero is excllent. It is worth every cent.

How does your rifle do when switching back and forth between the two barrels. I would guess that you have numbers to dial for each barrel. How accurate are they when switching back and forth?

I'd want to shoot a DTA first. Might be that a bull pup isn't to your liking. I personally don't think I'd dig the DTA, but I'm anxious to shoot one to see if I'd like it or not. Later is right though, having to only buy one scope is a big deal, especially now that scope prices are ridiculous.

How about one STUD of a savage with 2 barrels and a S&B scope sitting ontop for the budget you have there. Now that I've changed barrels I could probably swap back and fourth in 20min. max

Just an idea.

Good luck,
Merritt

I am kinda worried about the bullpup as well I would love to shoot one first. If anyone is in W. Washington and would let me. Send me a PM. (Ammo is on me) I do have a Barret m99 that I like though. As far as bullpup's go, my barrett is the only one I have shot.

i LOVE my DTA. but have heard nothing but good things about the TRG's. if you really do want multiple guns to bring people along then you answered your own question. the DTA does take some getting use to but you can run one pretty damn fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I say get the DTA so you can use ONE scope, ONE bipod, and ONE suppressor for both conversions.

Thanks </div></div>

Wisdom in those words.....

it was not to long ago I was in your same position. I went with the DTA in 308 and 338 conversion. I have a nightforce dialed in for both barrels. While I switch over I turn my turrets back to zero for the barrel im shoooting and its right on everytime. I have allowed several people in my area to try out my weapon and ALL of them have been super impressed with it. The trigger is amazing on the weapon. Definitely try one out then make your decision. Im looking at having a 6.5 x 47 barrel made for mine to play with

Tough call. I'd lean toward the dta. Accessory cost. I've got a 308 and 338 and the 308 gets shot a lot more. 338 Lapua is pretty specialized for beyond 1200 yards.

And skip the 308. Just get a 260.

I never thought much of switching stuff around to change calibers on pistols or rifles. I like to have a firearm that is ready right now. 2 TRGs would be much better for my needs, and if the 260s ever show up I will have 2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never thought much of switching stuff around to change calibers on pistols or rifles. I like to have a firearm that is ready right now. 2 TRGs would be much better for my needs, and if the 260s ever show up I will have 2. </div></div>

I agree whole heartedly with this. Anything "switch barrel" that require you needing a barrel vice, action wrench, and/or removing the action from the stock, is worthless to me. Now the DTA style switch barrel, I can get with that. Quick and easy, can do it in the field.

I'm with hgr2, switching barrels is not as much fun as just grabbing and going. I have a couple rifles that are switch barrel and honestly never switch them, same with a Blaser pistol. 3 barrels for that and the only one I ever use is the .308, no need for anything more.

The only switch barrel that I have had would be a Encore, I know like comparing apples to dog shit, but still I ended up never switching barrels. I thought that it was a great idea when I was younger and on a tight budget. I ended up selling the rifle and still have a bad taste in my mouth about switch barrel rifles. I know the SRS is a differnt beast and hope it will be a different experience. I like the trg's but having a 27'' barrel with another 10'' suppressor seems like it be a bit long.

Pretty interesting question. I have a DTA with a 338 and a 308. I love the compactness and the feel behind the gun. I have a 308 and a 338 on order from Underground Skunkworks, b/c I was wresting with the same question. I was planning on selling the DTA, but I just had APA do the 308 conversion for me and it really shoots well. The cost of 2 scopes is an issue, but the DTA is so expensive that it really depends on the cost of the scope.

For what its worth- I'm keeping the dta and the UGSW 308, and will be selling the UGSW 338.

BTW- If you go the DTA route, have APA do the conversions for you with your choice of barrel. Probably about the same cost, but potentially better controlled chambering. Mine APA conversion shoots great and I have heard the same form others on here.

Not to sir up the sh*t, but I think that the problem with a factory rifle is the hit or miss nature of their accuracy. I could be way off base here, but isn't fair to say that not all TRG's shoot the same? When you have a custom gun made, you know its going to shoot great, or it wouldn't have left the smith (at least with gap, apa, ugsw, and others). I am talking here without direct experience of shooting many TRG's, but to my thinking, you might get a great one and you might get one that is just good- that's the nature of factory chambering. If I'm way f'n wrong here, let me know.

Yeah that UGSW Specter-BABR is pretty much my wet dream come true, but I have no patients and would never be able to wait 8months. If there was one on the shelf I would already own one.

I wouldn't go so far as to say TRG's are hit and miss. I have shot a fair amount of them, all my buddies have them. In addition, quite a few hide members have TRG's. In my experience, that of my buddies, and the members here, I have never heard about anything but stellar accuracy from a TRG.

That doesn't mean that we can inductively reason that all TRG's shoot stellar, but I wouldn't say there's any basis for thinking TRG's are hit or miss. Even with miss being defined as a just good shooter, not a really good shooter.

I agree about switch barrel capability, few will use. We have a TRG action wrench that is partly for that purpose and I bet I can count on one hand the number of guys who will switch their barrel back and forth.

I agree on the .260 as mentioned by (Mike?). I think .338 is good for some stuff but it seems more and more, guys just get too much gun, ammo is too high, shooting under 1k is pointless, etc. If you really want to have two calibers, you could go .260 and 308 in one TRG-22.

Anyway, of course you have to do what satisfies you or you'll just regret it. I would encourage you to get behind a DTA because the bullpup thing isn't for everyone.
Justin

Send "Scottsnipe" he on the forum a pm.
DTA all the way baby.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbuck88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah that UGSW Specter-BABR is pretty much my wet dream come true, but I have no patients and would never be able to wait 8months. If there was one on the shelf I would already own one.</div></div>

you should call them- I'll bet that you'll be very surprised by their lead times.