• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

two way radio

308PRECISION

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
NORTHERN IRELAND
which is the best two way radio for hunting with it needs to have a good range in frost and hilly ground and needs to by cheap has anyone any ideas and where I can get one

Re: two way radio

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the rhinos gps by garmin. You can link your posisition to your buddy as well. He can find ya very easy. The radios are very good. </div></div>

Side note. Over Iraq in the early days they used to sell the rhinos at the PX to soldiers etc. Only problem was the bad guys also got them and could listen in on conversations and get exact grid locations of the users. They stopped selling them not long after...

But for hunting apps they would work great. Other users can see your loc on their unit. Just thought you might find that interesting.

Carry on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KiwiShtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the rhinos gps by garmin. You can link your posisition to your buddy as well. He can find ya very easy. The radios are very good. </div></div>

Side note. Over Iraq in the early days they used to sell the rhinos at the PX to soldiers etc. Only problem was the bad guys also got them and could listen in on conversations and get exact grid locations of the users. They stopped selling them not long after...

But for hunting apps they would work great. Other users can see your loc on their unit. Just thought you might find that interesting.

Carry on. </div></div>

wow! didn't know that LOL you'd think you'd have to put in a password or something

I got my HAM license, so I use portable 2m radios... in the open at 5 watts, I can get good distance

if you wanna add to it and make it better, you can have a mobile (not handheld) radio and set it up as a repeater, and increase your range out alot more. it pretty much becomes a radio tower.

with my handheld right now, I can talk to someone 60 miles away via repeaters. (if the tower has the capability, I can connect 2 repeaters together from my handheld via internet, and be in the middle of the forest and talk to someone in another state)

but if you don't wanna get into all that jumbo mumbo, just any radio will work
smile.gif

edit: I realized you're in another country... you have diff radio laws, so technically our radios aren't legal there. diff operating frequencies. just be aware...

i use a midland gmrs. the key is power and line of sight. fcc limits handhelds to 5 watts so look for 5 watter. realize they are all line of sight any obstructions limits or totally negates transmissions.

gmrs
5 watts

everything else is just gravy