• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Type of competitions to get young kids started

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I’m only familiar with prs, 3 gun, uspsa, and idpa style competitions. My son is very interested in shooting and is doing really well. He would like to start competing with me but he isn’t ready for any of the above style competitions I normally shoot.

My son is 7 years old and is diagnosed with Xia Gibbs which is similar to autism. He doesn’t have the coordination, nor do I feel he would be safe in a run around and shoot type match. He is on the other hand a pretty capable shooter all things considered and has a real passion to improve, and shooting is one of the few things he does well and excels.

What type of matches are out there that don’t require moving around and I would be able to be there next to him to monitor? Bench rest maybe? Thinking 22lr rifle match of some sort.

Not sure what that is but will look it up.

5 steel plates, one of which is the stop plate. On the start signal, engage four plates in any order, then hit the stop plate. Score is your raw time. Shoot 5 strings on each stage, best 4 strings count for cumulative score for the stage. Most of the stages are stand and shoot, CF or rimfire pistol or .22 rifle. Red dot on rifle is best. All shooting is freehand. One stage has movement, shoot two plates from one box, move to next box and from there shoot the remaining three plates.

Target size range from 10” to 12” round plates, and some stages have 18”x24” plate. Distances vary from 7 yds to 35.

Look it up on Youtube.

Needs to be 8 to participate in NRL22. Once old enough perhaps the Adaptive class may suit him given his mobility is limited.

Reactions: camocorvette
Just watched some steel challenge videos. Looks like something he could do just taking his time and not trying to go super fast. And looks fun.

We have had kids younger that 8 shoot Rimfire PRS and nrl matches. Crap, my daughter started to show up at 7. Don't expect them to run all the positions or COF but shoot from prone etc. Eventually we pick a position for them to shoot from and add to it each month or so as they build confidence. It's just 22 so zero pressure but learning the fundamentals while competing in a low stress environment.

Eventually they run the bolt, dial up and build positions. It's fun.

Reactions: 30seconds and lash
It’s not so much mobility issues, he hikes and coyote hunts with me. It’s the cognitive ability’s, as well as coordination and fine motor skills. He can get overwhelmed easily with too much going on. So unfortunately anything high paced, multiple positions ect is out, at least for now.

So far I’m thinking the steel challenge might work really good for him. Big easy to find targets in a setup that I could easily make sure he stays safe. And we are already setup with a few 10/22 with red dots

Reactions: lash
Maybe consider NRA Prone F Class or possibly Benchest.

Both uses a heavy, rested rifle. Both have time limits. You are stationary. You can compete from 200-1000 yards at any age (6BR or Dasher would be perfect ). It’s not the new sexy thing, but for pure accuracy in competition there’s not much else that compares. It’s also a wonderful way to get instant down range feedback on wind calls to try to learn reading conditions, which helps any other long range shooting he may eventually grow into. You can be with him 100% of the time, and if you find a club where your shooting e-targets there is no pit duty required.

May be something to look at?

I hope you guys can find something you both like.

Chris

Im gonna do some rimfire matches this year. but I bet if you took him to Pueblo rimfire Hoser wouldnt mind if you brought him.

7 is on young side. is he strong enough to handle a rifle? my rule to Rueger was he can shoot when he can manipulate/carry his own rifle. he did that at 9.

GL
DT

Reactions: lash and Baron85
Almost all of the local clubs around here host egg shoots for 18 and under. Nothing gets a kid as geeked as watching an egg blow up after a clean shot. You can set up rifles in such a way that all they have to do is point and shoot.
My five year old started this past year and had all of the guys rolling after he hit the first egg and lost it. All of these super serious Benchrest shooters laughing and congratulating him. It was great 😁

He can handle a light 22 or 22 pistols but he is pretty slow. With his condition anything complicated will be difficult for him so atleast for now the long range stuff I think is out.

Work with him on the basics.

I would look into any NRA Small bore Lever Action Silhouette matches near you. The targets are bigger than normal Silhouette and a longer time for each string.

In reality, getting him an a range with some reactive steel targets has been the best in my experience. Paper is great for fundamental, but does not give the feedback of the ding and movement. Some swingers or 22 rated auto poppers and a brick of xxxx 22 long rifle.

Be prepared for the short attention span, I work with Boy Scouts and sometimes the younger boys/girls are done in 10-15 minutes.

Like some have said above, F class prone 22lr, Benchrest 22LR and egg shoots if any club around you does that.

1671075200234.png

I said we were going shooting today , but no you did not want to , see what you made me do now stop crying and pull the cord

• Haha
Buffalo creek gun club has a steel challenge match a couple times a month…Camp Fickes, down by Wellington lake.

Reactions: Baron85
After going back and re reading the entire thread, ignore my sections not pertaining to the NRA Silhouette. That part is still valid and could be good for him. The rest is good for others looking at starting their children.

This was my son years ago before he started shooting.

E010AE41-5EC7-42E2-B27E-7B0D0C61545D.jpeg

Sounds like steel challenge is the one for you.
I always go to practiscore and copy my times to a spreadsheet so I can track how I'm doing as the season progresses.
Start with a rifle so his success rate is much higher.

I’m only familiar with prs, 3 gun, uspsa, and idpa style competitions. My son is very interested in shooting and is doing really well. He would like to start competing with me but he isn’t ready for any of the above style competitions I normally shoot.

My son is 7 years old and is diagnosed with Xia Gibbs which is similar to autism. He doesn’t have the coordination, nor do I feel he would be safe in a run around and shoot type match. He is on the other hand a pretty capable shooter all things considered and has a real passion to improve, and shooting is one of the few things he does well and excels.

What type of matches are out there that don’t require moving around and I would be able to be there next to him to monitor? Bench rest maybe? Thinking 22lr rifle match of some sort.

We have had kids younger that 8 shoot Rimfire PRS and nrl matches. Crap, my daughter started to show up at 7. Don't expect them to run all the positions or COF but shoot from prone etc. Eventually we pick a position for them to shoot from and add to it each month or so as they build confidence. It's just 22 so zero pressure but learning the fundamentals while competing in a low stress environment.

Eventually they run the bolt, dial up and build positions. It's fun.
While ultimately, you have to decide which will work best for both him and you, we have had very young kids, even a 7 yo girl shoot our NRL22 matches. Since we are very much geared towards getting the younger shooters into and enjoying shooting sports, we only ever have them do things that fit within their physical capabilities.

Attention span is an issue, but nobody cares if they take a break and don’t shoot a stage or the whole match. Since they shoot for free at my matches, there is less stress than if they paid to attend. Parents are encouraged and even expected to assist them when they are very young and just starting. The rule book is for serious competitors as far as coaching and correcting aim on the clock. Plus, we encourage them to finish the stage even if time is up.

Then there is always a golf ball or full soda can stage that young and old, novice and experienced shooters alike enjoy.

Btw, I also do recommend steel challenge as a very accessible shooting match to newer shooters.

Reactions: Dot3 and Badjujuu
While ultimately, you have to decide which will work best for both him and you, we have had very young kids, even a 7 yo girl shoot our NRL22 matches. Since we are very much geared towards getting the younger shooters into and enjoying shooting sports, we only ever have them do things that fit within their physical capabilities.

Attention span is an issue, but nobody cares if they take a break and don’t shoot a stage or the whole match. Since they shoot for free at my matches, there is less stress than if they paid to attend. Parents are encouraged and even expected to assist them when they are very young and just starting. The rule book is for serious competitors as far as coaching and correcting aim on the clock. Plus, we encourage them to finish the stage even if time is up.

Then there is always a golf ball or full soda can stage that young and old, novice and experienced shooters alike enjoy.

Btw, I also do recommend steel challenge as a very accessible shooting match to newer shooters.
I will add that my daughter's have been shooting in local 22 prs style "outlaw" matches since they were 8 and 4. There is a strong push to get kids involved. There is a kids division and it is left up to the parents how much they help as long as everything is safe. When we started I would dial wind and elevation and move the gun from position to position. As they have gotten older, the 11 year old was dialing and holding wind in the reticle last year. Also, we stopped giving her corrections on the clock most of the time. The only thing I help her with now is I move the bag because she needs both hands to safely control a 15 lb gun and does not have the physical strength to move a heavy bag as well.

The little one is 7 now and she is learning to dial elevation. Holding in the retical is still a bit above her ability to understand cognitively.

We never really forced the time limits on them until they got good, and then we made them adhere to the time limits.

The club even writes a separate youth course of fire for stages with a lot of movement in the normal course of fire to help with not timing out and safety.

If you want to introduce him to prs style shooting it would be a good way if there is a club with similar attitudes near you. If you showed up at the club we shoot at, even if you had no gun, ammo, or any clue what you were doing, people would be falling all over themselves to let you borrow guns, ammo, and gear to participate.

Ultimately, you have to decide what is right for him and you. However, the worry that people will get annoyed or frustrated if you take the time to teach him and let him go slow and have fun is likely unfounded.

Reactions: lash and Modoc
I will add that my daughter's have been shooting in local 22 prs style "outlaw" matches since they were 8 and 4. There is a strong push to get kids involved. There is a kids division and it is left up to the parents how much they help as long as everything is safe. When we started I would dial wind and elevation and move the gun from position to position. As they have gotten older, the 11 year old was dialing and holding wind in the reticle last year. Also, we stopped giving her corrections on the clock most of the time. The only thing I help her with now is I move the bag because she needs both hands to safely control a 15 lb gun and does not have the physical strength to move a heavy bag as well.

The little one is 7 now and she is learning to dial elevation. Holding in the retical is still a bit above her ability to understand cognitively.

We never really forced the time limits on them until they got good, and then we made them adhere to the time limits.

The club even writes a separate youth course of fire for stages with a lot of movement in the normal course of fire to help with not timing out and safety.

If you want to introduce him to prs style shooting it would be a good way if there is a club with similar attitudes near you. If you showed up at the club we shoot at, even if you had no gun, ammo, or any clue what you were doing, people would be falling all over themselves to let you borrow guns, ammo, and gear to participate.

Ultimately, you have to decide what is right for him and you. However, the worry that people will get annoyed or frustrated if you take the time to teach him and let him go slow and have fun is likely unfounded.
Yes

Almost all of the local clubs around here host egg shoots for 18 and under. Nothing gets a kid as geeked as watching an egg blow up after a clean shot. You can set up rifles in such a way that all they have to do is point and shoot.
My five year old started this past year and had all of the guys rolling after he hit the first egg and lost it. All of these super serious Benchrest shooters laughing and congratulating him. It was great 😁
This was going to be my recommendation as well. My local club holds Egg Shoots for fun. Sole purpose to to introduce young and old people to gun safety, shooting and the range. Cheap and lots of fun. Great atmosphere for a kid. Both of my kids really enjoy them.

Great to get your kid involved in the sport!