• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes U.S. Optics SR-8 BigJimFish Shot Report.

BigJimFish

Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Columbus, OH
You may have noticed, as I have, that USO scopes have recently begun to be available through a variety of outlets and in a variety of standard configurations. You may also have noticed that ERGO parallax, which accounted for only 1 in 30 scopes sold, has been discontinued. What the folks at USO realized is that they were suffering a great amount of inefficiency in production for a very few unusual scope orders. What they have decided to do about it is to make a few standard scope models that they will stock for immediate delivery and which will be available though distributors at a lesser cost while keeping the true, full custom stuff available only directly thorough themselves at a higher cost. This will allow most customers a little price break as well as increasing production throughput without leaving those who want unusual features out in the cold. It will also cut down or eliminate wait time for most orders. We’ll see how it pans out over the next year or so, but I expect that it will be a change for the better.

It is also notable that USO has changed the name of virtually every scope they make. SN-3 will no longer refer to any one of eight optical systems. The new names, such as SR-8 for their new short range 1-8x will make a little more sense and only be used one to a chassis.

Speaking of the SR-8, which is what you wanted to know about anyway, a final production version of the daytime bright, red dot illuminated model was shown this year at the show. This is not the only model offered, but rather one of three to be initially rolled out. The SR-8 will be offered in S, C, and M configurations. The SR-8s has conventional, reflected off the reticle and not daytime bright, illumination and will cost $2k. The SR-8c has what amounts to red dot illumination that is daytime bright and runs $2,500, and, if I remember correctly, the SR-8m has both illuminations and runs $2650. In the future there is also a plan for a 34mm SR-8 that will feature an EREK elevation knob.

The SR-8c next to my reference GRSC 1-6x. Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pic.
uso18profile.jpg

What I had to play with at the show was the mid priced SR-8c red dot model and it was a great improvement over last year’s early prototype. Most obviously, it has daytime bright red dot illumination. Quite surprisingly, given that last year PR and S&B were showing finished prototypes with this technology, USO is actually the first 1-8x to come to market with this feature, as the Leupold CQBSS is not illuminated in this fashion. I was completely surprised by this as S&B has apparently been so bedeviled by this feature that their scope has been sitting on a shelf mocking them whereas USO just up and did it. Now, to be fair, what S&B has been saying to me is that they just can’t get the dot perfectly lined up in a reasonable amount of time and, on 8x, I did notice that the USO dot was just a tiny bit off. How tiny you ask, well do you notice it in the picture? Didn’t think so. Beyond that, the dot is really for 1x use and being a very tiny bit off at 8x is not a substantial functional problem, though it might annoy you. I have to admit, a little sheepishly, that I did not think that USO would be able to make a dot illuminated 1-8x work. They were dinking around with this dual focal plane stuff that just didn’t seem to make things much brighter and everybody was crying about how expensive the flash dot technology was to do and I thought USO, having never done it before, would not be able to get the job done. Well they did. It’s a dot and its bright.

At 1x with the illumination maxed out:
uso181x.jpg

At 8x with the illumination maxed out:
uso188x.jpg

As for the rest of the scope, I have some cheers and some jeers. We’ll start with the jeers so we can end on a good note. The field of view on the SR-8 is smaller than most at 83.25ft. It is true that other high ratio scopes are generally smaller in field of view than lower ratio scopes, but the Leupold and the March 1-8x scopes are substantially larger than the USO. I also found the USO to be darker than my comparison GRSC 1-6x at 1x. This is not typically the case when comparing high (USO) and mid ranged (GRSC) scopes as both price brackets transmit so much light that one really can’t tell a difference in most lighting conditions. The USO guys assured me that the light transmission is 85% on that optic so perhaps it has something to do with the specific wavelengths in the poorly lit ballroom but it was unquestionably darker in appearance to my eye.

On the good side, the resolution was easily better than my comparison GRSC. I also found the eyebox useable and I think the mini Christmas tree mil reticle offered will appeal to a great any folks who intend long range use. The clicks also felt very good. USO has a smooth but firm feel to their clicks that I find pleasing.

So all in all, a win, and at a price that will keep it competitive even when the S&B, which yes, is better, is released. I’m proud of USO for the quick study on flash dot type lighting.

As Shot show has just ended, and I am tired and will be in transit all of tomorrow, this will be the last report for a bit. I will handle the March 1-8x (as well as Kelbly’s new tactical rifle bent) and the Bushnell 1-8.5x in the coming weeks along with quite a lot of other optics that I have seen.

Thanks for reading,
Jim

Re: U.S. Optics SR-8 BigJimFish Shot Report.

That didn't take long....

I like the reticule

Good write up

Thanks as always Jim. Great write up.

Looks like another year of waiting for the EREK SR8, but waiting is easier when you know for sure that its coming down the pike.

Thanks Jim, for bringing the tablets down and relaying the info to the rest of us!

I don't see a need and wouldnt want an EREK on a scope like this. For the platforms it will be going on there won't be much dialing. I like the capped knobs that can't be bumped. You can use the reticle for holds easily enough as well for the 600-800 yard max this scope will probably be used for. It's definitely a nice set up. USO did good.

I was also at first really wanting an erek on this scope. I then thought about how little dialing I am going to do on the platform that this is going on, and instead would prefer capped turrets that wont get bumped. As Rob01 said, you can easily hold to most distances that 8x is really useful for.

I'm with Rob on this one. I really don't see a big need for an EREK style dial on the 1x+ optics.

At the rate I buy 2k+ optics (once) and the total scopes I own (one) it becomes an inability to slave 1 scope to 1 rifle for 1 use. 99% chance it will float between platforms that I <span style="font-style: italic">do</span> want the ease and operation of the EREK on. I'm glad USO is planning on keeping 1/30 outliers like me in mind, at least for the time being.

Wasn't slamming you for wanting it but just giving my opinion on how I see the optic and its uses at that power range. I am sure others will want the EREK as well. That's the good part about USO in that you can order it like you want.

Sorry Rob, I've gotten too used to taking the defensive side of every online interaction for the past few weeks... Didn't mean to come off with a tone, especially since the sentiment of 'glad USO makes it possible' is unanimous.

Jim- in your evaluation you stated the S&B 1-8 is better. Could you elaborate on that statement. I am trying to decided whether to get the USO 1-8 or wait on the S&B version...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim- in your evaluation you stated the S&B 1-8 is better. Could you elaborate on that statement. I am trying to decided whether to get the USO 1-8 or wait on the S&B version...</div></div>

Certainly, The principle reasons that I stated the S&B is better is that is has a much larger field of view, was brighter (I did not look less bright then my reference whereas the USO did), and it weighs less.

Now, I have only examined these two optics separately at this time, in different lighting conditions, though with the same comparison scope. I hope to have them side by side in a 1-8x review this spring along with the March 1-8x and Leupold 1-8x. I haven't contacted Bushnell about their 1-8.5x but I might add that as well. This format will allow complete testing of each scope as well as the comparative evaluation of resolution, eye box, and more subjective impressions. I have found that the overall speed and comfort of an optic is effected by myriad factors that are difficult to quantify such as flatness of field. It is possible that after testing all of this I will prefer the USO but I think it more likely that I will still think the S&B better. It is another question altogether if you think the S&B is worth 26% more money. Better overall is one thing, better value is something altogether different.

Also understand it has been 3 years since people have paid for the S&B, and none have shipped.

Also, I found the 1-8x S&B to not be that great over 4x, it was better than the Leupold under 4x, but the Leupold was better over 4x.

I think the USO is a better all around 1-8x that is available, has a much better flash dot, and using the S&B out on the field, I thought the image was a bit flat for the money.

The USO also has better eye relief on all powers... the FOV being a bit smaller, ok, but the pluses versus the minuses, I think the USO wins hands down and I have used the S&B out on the range. was not impressed, especially for the money.

Thanks to both of you for your insights! When you are spending this kind of money, you don't want to have any regrets. I don't know anyone who has one of these scopes to try out so I am dependent on your input to guide my choice. I think I will wait for Jim's review of all the players...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reaper130</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Rob on this one. I really don't see a big need for an EREK style dial on the 1x+ optics. </div></div>

I run the EREK on my 3.2-17, 1.8-10, and ST10s. I bought a 1.5-6 non-erek (slimline #1 elevation/zeroing windage) with JNG reticle. I sold it and replaced it with a EREK equipped 1.5-6.

All my scopes have covered windage knobs. Never had an EREK bump and change elevation, though most certainly it can happen, hence the "need" for a locking turret.

The 1-8 could replace both my 1.5-6 and 1.8-10, but it will not do so until it is available with an EREK.

Once one masters the dial and/or hold techniques with the EREK, it is hard to give up. Yes I did a lot of holding with the JNG and the capped Slimline #1. On an SPR, at least how I use it, the EREK is very useful, and takes nothing away from your ability to hold.

I was amazed at the comments about the blue LED at SHOT. I didn't think that it would be received as well as it was.

Anyone who gets one of these with a blue LED in it, I would like to hear your opinions after some use.
Thansk,
John III

I like mine John. Thanks again for letting me use it at Media day. However you might not get it back for some time. Having a hard time sending it back.

Jim and Lowlight, great, thanks for sharing your experiences with the scope. This one seems like it could definitely be a winner. Can't wait to read Jim's side-by-side review later this year.

Are these scopes shipping now? Has anyone use one extensively on a precision carbine? I am debating on which reticle.

Reviving an old thread.

I'm curious as to why USO couldn't use the same (or similar) LED circuitry that Aimpoint has.

The advertised 100 hours from a CR2032 seems a little measly.

Reviving an old thread.

I'm curious as to why USO couldn't use the same (or similar) LED circuitry that Aimpoint has.

The advertised 100 hours from a CR2032 seems a little measly.

Something something intellectual property or licensing? Do you really think it's just that simple?

Wes, any updates on the availability of the SR-8M?

We are still refining the circuit board to do what it needs to do efficiently. Better to do it right the first time then have to change it again in 6 months. Hopefully it be done very soon!

We are still refining the circuit board to do what it needs to do efficiently. Better to do it right the first time then have to change it again in 6 months. Hopefully it be done very soon!

Can you give us more details on how illumination control will work? I'm really excited about this scope but concerned about massive numbers of button presses being necessary to enable the proper illumination (such as red dot only, or reticle only, or both). Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Wes. Got one on order from a dealer. Really looking forward to getting my hands on one.

I got my hands on an SR-8c C2-MIL and let me tell you, this is a scope has come here to stay. Seriously!
I think it's amazing that USO managed to pull a dual reticle that is actually very well functioning and easy to use, while companies such as S&B and Zeiss are still bitting on their finger nails trying to find a sollution to the problem.
The scope is a bit longer than some competitors but I did not find that to be a problem regardless of the weapon one might choose to mount it on.
The C2-mil reticle was fantastic and you can't stop smiling when seeing the dot maintain its size while the reticle keeps growing as you turn on the maganification.
I also found the quality of the glass to be impressing. In compairing it with scopes such as Swarovski Z6, I could notice that USO was not really at the same level but was definitely not far from there. These guys know definitely what they do.

All in all, I would dare say that March 1-8x24 and U.S. Optics 1-8x24 are the only scopes of the kind that have kept my attention alive so far.

I have temporarily removed this review in order to allow the folks at USO more time to send me their comments. It will be re-posted by Friday. It is a courtesy to them and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Tell USO I didnt read anything in the review that makes me want to cancel the M model I ordered last January.

I appreciate your efforts, thought the review informative, and dont doubt the scope can be improved upon, in fact it has had some revision since the earliest version and the new up grades may have addressed some concerns. Every thing I have seen from owners is love.

Please tell USO Im patiently waiting and tired of shooting my backups. I appreciate their efforts to get it perfected.

Jim, did you try any other mounts besides the American Rifle Co? I'm a big fan of that particular mount, but it would not leave enough room on top of my AR for sufficient eye relief. I tried to go with the Spuhr SP-3616, but there isn't enough room on the front of the scope to fit it into the front ring.

Edit to add: I'm not meaning to start a discussion about the merits of various mounts, but thought it was pertinent because of the odd shape of the scope.

Last edited: