• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses UAA Phys. Dept- "Physics for Warfighters" course

Anvil_X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2012
AK
During a conversation with my Physics professor this morning, we came up with an idea to do a Physics course specifically for Forward observers, Scouts, Designated Marksmen, and Snipers.

Reason we're looking at it, is that when I was in, we were trained how to do things, like use mildot reticles to estimate ranges.... sure, we knew a T-72 was "x" mils long at "y" range, but I didn't know why or how. Since I started going taking physics courses, I'm beginning to understand how all these neat little tools work, and knowing the "why it works" has helped me improve my range estimation and accuracy significantly.

So the goal of this class would be to have the UAA Physics department set up a course to explain the physics of range estimation, ballistics, and other affairs directly affecting soldiers, in terms that soldiers and NCOs can use to improve their skills while avoiding the long and hard slog through two years of college math and physics courses.

I'm hoping that UAA can be persuaded to do this course at their Fort Richardson Campus, and do it using Tuition Assistance (which would give the soldiers college credit, while preserving unit training funds).

So, now on to the point. I was a plain old Cav Scout, so I really don't have a solid grasp as to what Snipers/Fisters would want specifically from the course. I would appreciate any input from individuals of either group with an understanding of college level physics.

So far, the topics I have suggested to my professor are:
Ranging using the mildot reticle,
Kinetic energy equations,
Kinematics( ie: velocity, bullet drop, etc),
fluid dynamics (drag, etc.),
the coriolis effect,
spin drift,
momentum,

right now, I just need topics of discussion. As soon as my Physics Professor knows what topics he'd need to teach, he'll build a lesson plan and see what the University BigWigs have to say about it.

Thanks!

My final research paper for physics was a 10 page paper on how much energy is expended by a .50 in different thickness of steel plate. I got a 98% on it.

OK where was this class when I attended the University of Alaska, Anchorage, All I got was an AA in Accounting and AS in Police Administration.

Do it on line cause I'm not moving back to Alaska.

OK where was this class when I attended the University of Alaska, Anchorage, All I got was an AA in Accounting and AS in Police Administration.

Do it on line cause I'm not moving back to Alaska.

I'll try, but I'm sure the Chancellor would want to keep this class as a JBER-only fixture, if we manage to convince him at all (not to mention getting 4/25ABCT aboard).

And you, good sir, are just the man I was wanting to ask about this. Is there anything physics-related that I'm not covering with that list of topics?
We're getting input from a retired USMC marksmanship team member up here as well, but the more knowledgeable guys we have in on the idea-storm, the better the course, and the better prepared the soldiers.

Just some other suggestions:
Weather and the effects on the physics
The human eye and what it picks up and doesn't in differing conditions
Powder temperature sensitivity
Night vision equipment and the human eye ( something's are different thru IR)

I would also like to take this course but I'm located in NYC. An on line course seems like a great idea. If your professor could publish a curriculum on a website with a link on the hide, I'd be willing to make a $ contribution to help with any course costs.

Keep the tuition assistance out of the equation as getting TA approval for new curriculum takes forever once you involve the GOV. You have time to build this right as there is no way to get it approved by fall quarter so you are looking at next year at the earliest.

Just some other suggestions:
Weather and the effects on the physics
The human eye and what it picks up and doesn't in differing conditions
Powder temperature sensitivity
Night vision equipment and the human eye ( something's are different thru IR)

I would also like to take this course but I'm located in NYC. An on line course seems like a great idea. If your professor could publish a curriculum on a website with a link on the hide, I'd be willing to make a $ contribution to help with any course costs.

Thx, I'll run them by the professor and see what he thinks. Met Data is definitely pertinent, and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with the powder sensitivity. As for the NVG and Human eye, those two may be out of his lane. But like I said, I'll see what he says.

It'd definitely be cool to get this course published and distributed, but first I've got to prod the right people to get it going in the first place. Once Chancellor Case and the bigwigs on Rich give the green light, we'll see.

Hairball- I'm hoping UAA and JBER can find the least-stupid way to get it done, and it's not looking to be more than a week long.

Quick update:

Just got an email from my professor, he spoke with the course creator about the idea, and they're going to have me come into the office tomorrow with my dope data books for a Q&A.