• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UBR or PRS for a 308 AR with 2 uppers?

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
Hi guys:

I am running a 16" carbine 308 (DPMS AP4) with the Magpul CTR stock. (Aimpoint Micro for Optics)

I am adding a dedicated upper (308 Bull barrrel Fluted, etc.) for precision/Long range work).

I am leaning toward removing the CTR and Buying a UBR/or PRS as it is better for both uses. (Optic will be a 4.5-14 power range).

Is the PRS or the UBR more universal for both uses.

BMT

Re: UBR or PRS for a 308 AR with 2 uppers?

I have a UBR on my 16" RRA and love it. IMO the PRS is a stock for a rifle that will be used for stationary, precision shooting, while a UBR is good for shooting prone and also as an all-around stock. I'm getting a 6.8 upper for my AR in a few weeks and will be using the UBR for shooting prone with the 6.8 and for walking around with it paired with my 5.56 upper. I say go with the UBR.

I would go with the UBR. My SASS has a PRS and I bielive it might be too heavy and combersome for a 16" carbine.

Agreed. The PRS is deceptively large and very substantial. Used one on a buddy's rifle and it was great for prone work but way too cumbersome for anything else.

yep i would go with the UBR, i have 2 and they work great, have a consitant cheek weld, but are pretty heavy

had a PRS, its really heavy and bulky and didnt add any capability

+1 on UBR. I have it on mine and love it.

I had the same question as the OP. The two possible advantages of the PRS are the adjustable cheek riser and rifle length buffer system.

Questions for those who have used both: Do you need an adjustable cheek riser? Does the rifle length buffer system offer a softer recoil impulse?

A PRS allows easier use an Accushot monopod or rear bag which is really important for a precision rifle.

I like the adjustable check riser, but once again I think it is overkill for most roles other than precision rifle.

I can't tell any great difference in recoil with a rifle buffer

I'm digging the ACS-L. But out of the 2 you had picked, I really like the UBR from personal experience.

Is it just me or does the PRS seem like a waste of money? Who needs an adjustable cheekpiece on an ar anyway? And for guys like me who shoot nose to charging handle the cheekpiece is completely useless. Most of the time I see people using them the cheekpiece is either all the way down, or they have the length of pull adjusted too far back. I believe the only reason the length of pull is adjusted out so far is to give them an excuse to use that cheekpiece.

I use a ubr myself. Or if i didn't want a collapsable stock, I would just get a plain jane a1 stock. Then again I could be way off base.

I prefer the UBR. It is a little heavier than most other collapsing stocks, but the cheek weld and stability of the stock are excellent. For precision shooting on the AR platform, it really is the best option.

Those new Magpul stocks look great! I was thinking about getting an ACS as my next stock but that STR is very tempting.

UBR because of previously stated opinions/facts! plus you have to find that happy medium for the two uppers you're going to run. theres my 2 cents!

I would agree that the UBR is more 'universal' if you are using it for two different uppers. The PRS is far from a carbine style stock and is quite a bit heavier than the UBR. I love both stocks a lot and Magpul makes great products, but for what you are looking at doing, I would vote UBR.

NOt to Hijack the OP's thread but i have a similar question. I have a A2 stock on a DPMS 308. 18 in heavy barrel with the highrise upper with low rings. The problem i have is i have to hold my head up just a little (not able to rest my cheak bone on the comb) to get full field of vision. should i just deal with it change to PRS or try to build up stock using some redneck engenerring.(duct tape) would really perfer not to do the latter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS308sass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOt to Hijack the OP's thread but i have a similar question. I have a A2 stock on a DPMS 308. 18 in heavy barrel with the highrise upper with low rings. The problem i have is i have to hold my head up just a little (not able to rest my cheak bone on the comb) to get full field of vision. should i just deal with it change to PRS or try to build up stock using some redneck engenerring.(duct tape) would really perfer not to do the latter. </div></div>

Charging handle issues make high combs a bitch.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS308sass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOt to Hijack the OP's thread but i have a similar question. I have a A2 stock on a DPMS 308. 18 in heavy barrel with the highrise upper with low rings. The problem i have is i have to hold my head up just a little (not able to rest my cheak bone on the comb) to get full field of vision. should i just deal with it change to PRS or try to build up stock using some redneck engenerring.(duct tape) would really perfer not to do the latter.</div></div>

The Magpul CTR is available with cheek risers and LaRue has a cheek riser for the CTR as well. I would go that route before a PRS, but I value the ability to adjust the length of pull on a stock.

CAA SRS w/ Monopod with 4" of LOP adjustment would fit your need VERY nice. sucks in close for use on the carbine. Extend it out when you've got the long range thing going.

Here is something Lowlight posted about recently. The one for the LMT SOPMOD will be out soon and one for MagPul stocks is after that.

Battleline-2.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">BATTLELINE INDUSTRIES SAPR</span></span>

^^^ Link to thread with pics and video ^^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A PRS allows easier use an Accushot monopod or rear bag which is really important for a precision rifle.

I like the adjustable check riser, but once again I think it is overkill for most roles other than precision rifle.

I can't tell any great difference in recoil with a rifle buffer </div></div>

The UBR has a usable flat spot on the rear for use with a rear bag. Monopods? While I don't have actual stats, I suspect less than 2% of the rifles that would be used in this role would be wearing one.

PRS - All I can say is try before you buy. The cheek piece is was too far back to be usable with my position, and I have no intention of modifying my position over a rifle stock.

The UBR is much more usable than say the CTR on a rear bag in a precision bag/bipod role, yet is still reasonable in cost, weight, and is collapsible.

Another big issue the "real" operators have to deal with is beards. The UBR gives you a solid non-movable place to put your head. The CTR type stocks that slide on the buffer tube are notorious for beard grabbing.

Everything you buy is in one form or another a compromise. The UBR has the right compromises for an SDM/DMR/Mk 11/Mk 12 type rifle, as long as you have the ability to keep the rings at a reasonable height and don't have some special application that requires you to hike the day optic way up over the top of the receiver.

UBR all the way.. I also have used both.. a few times... and the PRS, while sturdy for prone work, is just gimmicks really in terms of "being adjustable" with its useless cheek piece and 3/4" length of pull..

I wouldn't use the PRS for a dedicated carbine or truck gun but it does have its place for me. On my long range/hunting 308 I use the cheek piece and extend the LOP on my PRS.

It depends on your body size, ring height, how you like to position your face etc on whether or not the PRS is useful to you.

It might not work for some but that doesn't mean its a gimmick.

Some people use stock packs, adjustable cheek pieces like KMW, Karsten and some don't, definitely doesn't mean there are just to trick people into buying them.

If you can't quickly throw up your gun and mash your cheek to the stock and get a good weld/see straight through the scope then you could use some kind of built up or adjustable cheek piece.

<span style="font-weight: bold">On the original subject</span>,

if I had to have one stock to switch two uppers on, out of all the ones I've owned or shot with: VLTOR, LMT, UBR and PRS, I would go with the UBR or LMT SOPMOD. Both are very solid and also beard friendly. If you shoot nose to charging handle then UBR, I like the LMT better on my carbine but thats just me.

I wouldn't mind trying the LMT with the Battleline SAPR that I linked above also. I plan on it but it might not be too soon. Seems as if it would be perfect for exactly what you need but only you could decide if its right, after trying it. If you got it, tried it and didn't like it, you could sell it here and probably only lose the cost of shipping.

383317_297376350302936_178615758845663_917356_695325150_n.jpg

383805_297375653636339_178615758845663_917355_1416100051_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was gonna put it on my LMT MWS, but I can add it to pretty many platform, a semi precision is easy. That is the beauty I can put it on a 5.56 Lower, with a Precision 18" Upper or run it on a 16" Carbine and use it any number of several ways. With stuff like the higher mounts, your an use it to get the right eye relief and then move the riser out of the way for the irons, or you can adjust it to fit with armor, angling the butt plates, its really super versatile.

But I plan on using it several different ways ... </div></div>