• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

UFC strickforce merger=

Re: UFC strickforce merger=

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reem is <span style="text-decoration: line-through">an</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">THE</span> animal! </div></div>

fixed

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fng23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No Fedor is THE animal.

Ern </div></div>
fedor WAS the animal...he isnt the same man he was 3 years ago...as much as it pains me to say it....he's done, and has nothing left to prove..

bench

Ah didn't know he washed up. Still alot of good heavyweights though. Just wasnt impressed with Reem, seems like another Shane Carwin. Heavy hands but lacking flexibility. Maybe I am wrong, either way should be a good time.

I watched the video above. I don't know this fighter. Looks good on his feet, but what is his ground game like? Also, in the video above, it looked like everyone was waiting on him to attack. My question is also , how does he look under pressure? Looks good so far and I can't wait to see more. I love a good fight, sanctioned or not!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fng23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah didn't know he washed up. Still alot of good heavyweights though. Just wasnt impressed with Reem, seems like another Shane Carwin. Heavy hands but lacking flexibility. Maybe I am wrong, either way should be a good time. </div></div>
he isnt washed up...just doesnt have the desire anymore..

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fng23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah didn't know he washed up. Still alot of good heavyweights though. Just wasnt impressed with Reem, seems like another Shane Carwin. Heavy hands but lacking flexibility. Maybe I am wrong, either way should be a good time. </div></div>
he isnt a carwin...he is a K1 champion, so his striking is better than 99% of UFC....

he holds the strikeforce belt also....tons of videos of him..

his early career sucked because he tried to diet down to a weight class way to low for him....watch when he fought shogun on youtube....walking zombie, overeem dieted down to a shadow, he doesnt do that anymore

bench

I don't think so..........I see another another "Kimbo Slice" when I look at this guy. I don't Dana White will put his neck out there again and let this guy come in the the UFC, when all other UFC fighters are at a higher caliber than this guy. A good boxer, I agree, fun to watch, I agree again......will he be able to go to the ground and hang with world class jujitsu/wrestlers and make it out of the ring with a win, I don't think so.

I think that if this guy even thinks he has a fleeting chance against Brock Lesnar, he's on crack. I watched a few fights on this Alistair, and there is no way he is at the same caliber as the UFC Champion. Just my $.02

It is an acquisition not a merger. Stickforce will be run as a seperate entity like the WEC was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triman2008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think so..........I see another another "Kimbo Slice" when I look at this guy. I don't Dana White will put his neck out there again and let this guy come in the the UFC, when all other UFC fighters are at a higher caliber than this guy. A good boxer, I agree, fun to watch, I agree again......will he be able to go to the ground and hang with world class jujitsu/wrestlers and make it out of the ring with a win, I don't think so.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I think that if this guy even thinks he has a fleeting chance against Brock Lesnar</span>, he's on crack. I watched a few fights on this Alistair, and there is no way he is at the same caliber as the UFC Champion. Just my $.02 </div></div>
Bwahahahaha are you kidding me?...overeem is one of the worlds top rated strikers..lesnars training partners and coaches arent even allowed to throw a punch at him in training..lesnar is 100% a CAN..he is nothing as a fighter, just a prime example of a well oiled hype machine..overeem hold multiple belts right now..and not just kickboxing...MMA too, he isnt one demensional like the UFC guys...i know that maybe hard for the ufc fanboys to hear..

there is NO UFC heavyweight that can beat the current shape overeem.....period!

bench

I haven't seen his other fights other than the video highlights above. Frim what I saw in the video, he is mostly one dimensional but hey, what do I know. I have been out of the fight game for a few years now. It just seemed (to me) that he didn't possess a lot of speed. He looked decently accurate but wasn't the fastest fighter that I have seen. I would like to see his ground game, how he does in the clench and how he does under pressure. I would like to see him fight someone with Anderson Silva's abilities, that would test his abilities. Time will tell......

Overeem would get thrashed by cain.Thrashed by Carwin,same story with Lesnar.Mir would submit overeem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: highridge1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overeem would get thrashed by cain.Thrashed by Carwin,same story with Lesnar.MIR would submit overeem.</div></div>

I tend to dis-agree on Mir tapping anyone out, I think he is a better commentator than a fighter since his accident. He was a great fighter but the statement is "WAS"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is an acquisition not a merger. Stickforce will be run as a seperate entity like the WEC was. </div></div>

I'm quoting myself here.... They are not combining and you will not see your dream matches anytime soon.

In that long highlight reel, there wasnt one recognizable name of a fighter he beat. Hes big, hits hard, but everyone else in the UFC heavyweight division is like that.

Overeem is definitely the real deal. Fedor's management was ducking him for quite a while up until the Heavy weight tourney. He beat Schilt, Aerts and other big names in K1. It'll be interesting to see how he stacks up against the UFC heavies, that being said he is absolutely not a sideshow like the "slice" or Bob Sapp. Aside from the fact that he looks like a science experiment.

Overeem has stepped up his game lately but he hasn't fought any one who would take the fight to the ground. Wrestlers are dominating the sport as of late and Alistar would be tested by the UFC HWs. He announced on twitter or something that the winner of the Strikeforce HW GP tourney will face the UFC champ. Could be a New Years battle or some time early next year.

I think this "merger" will end in a couple years when the contracts run out.

Yes it seems wrestlers are doing quite well with their jiu jitsu.
shocked.gif

I liked Overeems submission of that NZ dude. (forgot his name) Good thing he tapped! Overeem was taking that arm home.

I sure hope Strikeforce stays seperate. I can't pay $50 to watch a fight.

JJ is great if you're good enough at it but try it with a highly skilled wrestler who controls his opponent and you'll see decision after decision concerning top level fighers. Now, I like JJ more than wrestling and wish the wrestlers would do something other than wrastle the guy for 15-25 minutes. Makes it more of a "match" than a fight.

$50 bucks a PPV, I agree 100% with shows once and sometimes twice a month... it gets expensive!! The Strikeforce/Showtime deal is great fights that I don't have to pay for but I think the end of the road is near for that.

I think Dana White is playing nice right now and doesn't want to piss off the good fighters that would otherwise not work for him. I would bet once the contracts are up, Strikeforce goes the way of WEC... dead and gone.

I have.

It felt like he was trying to shove my head up my ass the entire time. It didn't help that he had a mean streak a mile wide, you know, chewing tobacco, cowboy boots, the ears, whole bit. He also outweighed me by about 50 lbs. and was strong like bull.

I did manage some success with him though. Once you get them out of their element, which isn't that hard to do, they start reacting and kind of loose their way a little.

This guy was a pretty decorated wrestler and coach but I still managed to beat him as often as he beat me. Kind of a toss up, except when I beat him he had to tap or get hurt. When he beat me I was just kind of stuck.

To be truthful, our styles were not really compatible to compete against each other. He was all wrestling and it didn't mean anything to him to tap. On the other hand it didn't mean anything to me to get stuck. Know what I mean?

Now in the cage with all the rules and time limits and judges etc. it is a different story, which is why decisions don't mean that much to me. I'm old school I guess. Trained under Royce for several years.

Jeffersonv, I'm with you on the old school train of thought about a decision in a fight. Erks the shit out of me when a game plan is to win on points. I also agree that a wrestler out of his element, on his back, is a must when going against them but most are tough to get there.

You're lucky to have formal training JJ. Honestly, most of what I've learned is from watching fights since '96 and rolling around with my nephews. Small town doesn't have much to offer in the way of martial arts. Did you see that "twister" submission last week or so ago by the Korean Zombie? That was nasty!!

I like how you called it "stuck" in the bottom position. That's exactly how it is in a MMA fight against a wrestler when he gets a takedown... I'll use that term from now on if you don't mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cain would be quite a challenge for Overeem.

That would be a great fight.

BMT </div></div>

That would be a fight to see. Hopefully the rumor that the winner of the Strikeforce Heavyweight tournament fights the UFC Champ. That would go along way in deciding who truly is the best in the world.

When I say I got stuck it was more than just being stuck on the bottom, at least once. I made the mistake of coming off the mat with my back and letting my wrestling opponent Larry reach under and tie up my arm on the opposite side. I could have turned my back and escaped but it was against my religion, so I gave him that one and we went at it again. I gotta give Larry that one! I really don't mind loosing a couple to him. He was a freakin bad ass after all.

When I did beat Larry it was from the bottom, not the top, then another time I got his back.

I am familiar with the twister but I didn't see it last week. You can really hurt someone with that move permanently.

Though the UFC was born at the Gracies academy in Torrance and while I was there, GJJ really isn't about cage fighting. It is about how a person can defend and overcome an attack from a stronger and larger person in the street where there are no rules. Because it is so effective it is still useful in many situations in the cage, in fact, I still see most stoppages from JJ.